Infantry required to capture province

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

88mmshock
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Infantry required to capture province

Post by 88mmshock »

I'm playing the Ottoman campaign. I just learned through this forum that the more infantry you have in an army, the quicker you can capture an enemy province.

The Ottoman army seems to capture provinces faster than I can on normal difficulty.

Is there any minimum amount of infantry needed to capture a province?

What is the ideal amount (if any) of infantry to capture a province in the shortest time?

Is there a recommended ratio of foot to horse in an army trying to capture a province in the shortest time.

Finally, is there a way to adjust the difficulty level of the strategic campaign to be different from that of the tactical battles?

Thank you.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Infantry required to capture province

Post by rbodleyscott »

88mmshock wrote:I'm playing the Ottoman campaign. I just learned through this forum that the more infantry you have in an army, the quicker you can capture an enemy province.

The Ottoman army seems to capture provinces faster than I can on normal difficulty.

Is there any minimum amount of infantry needed to capture a province?

What is the ideal amount (if any) of infantry to capture a province in the shortest time?

Is there a recommended ratio of foot to horse in an army trying to capture a province in the shortest time.
The more infantry (and especially medium or heavy artillery) the better. Each unit is assigned a siege rating - infantry get a higher siege rating than cavalry, and medium/heavy guns a higher rating still.

Cavalry are worth 66% of their normal points cost, infantry are worth 133% of their normal points cost and medium/heavy artillery are worth 500% of their normal points cost. So you can see from this that the key factor is really medium/heavy artillery.
Finally, is there a way to adjust the difficulty level of the strategic campaign to be different from that of the tactical battles?
Not really, because the difficulty of the tactical battles (in the campaign) is entirely dependent on the numbers generated by the strategic campaign. Difficulty settings only affect the relative force points - which in the case of campaigns is decided by the strategic layer. Difficulty settings do not affect the combat mechanisms - except on the lowest and highest difficulty settings, where troop quality is tweaked slightly, as shown in the tooltips.
Richard Bodley Scott

88mmshock

Post by 88mmshock »

Thanks for the very interesting and valuable insight. I was sorely lacking in artillery.

Is there a sliding scale of force to capture time? In other words, if X amount of artillery captures a province in Y time, will 5X capture it in 1/5Y?

As a follow up is there a minimum force needed to capture a province? In other words, can I split off tiny detachments and have them capture provinces?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

88mmshock wrote:Thanks for the very interesting and valuable insight. I was sorely lacking in artillery.

Is there a sliding scale of force to capture time? In other words, if X amount of artillery captures a province in Y time, will 5X capture it in 1/5Y?
There aren't set values - there is a random roll each turn, with the score to pass getting easier the longer the siege goes on.
As a follow up is there a minimum force needed to capture a province? In other words, can I split off tiny detachments and have them capture provinces?
You can, but the chance of them succeeding is vanishingly small.
Richard Bodley Scott

88mmshock

Post by 88mmshock »

Thanks for the answers Richard.

Return to “Pike & Shot”