Game mechanics issue?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Game mechanics issue?

Post by carll11 »

First; wish I could grab a screenshot, but for reasons which allude me, pike and shot, unlike say FOG II or any dozen of the others games I have that let me,when I screen shot, it captures my desktop behind the game, not the game screen, never saw that before....

Anyway, its simple; I am in playing the Gustavus Adolphus camp., in a battle, turn 3 and medium cannons of the Catholic league, on ZERO elevation, are hitting a unit that is 2 hexes behind the crest of a 100 hilltop....they cannot see them, yet they have disrupted this unit with cannon fire.....
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Game mechanics issue?

Post by w_michael »

Do you have the Steam version? If so, F12 performs a screen shot.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carll11 »

w_michael wrote:Do you have the Steam version? If so, F12 performs a screen shot.
Hi Michael, no I dont, I play from my own PC....
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

carll11 wrote:First; wish I could grab a screenshot, but for reasons which allude me, pike and shot, unlike say FOG II or any dozen of the others games I have that let me,when I screen shot, it captures my desktop behind the game, not the game screen, never saw that before....

Anyway, its simple; I am in playing the Gustavus Adolphus camp., in a battle, turn 3 and medium cannons of the Catholic league, on ZERO elevation, are hitting a unit that is 2 hexes behind the crest of a 100 hilltop....they cannot see them, yet they have disrupted this unit with cannon fire.....
I think its F2 , and the pic will be in documents/mygames etc etc

Complex LOS calculations were not a strong point of the engine used for this game, so probably not a bug (nor oversite), just the reality of the engine....
carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carll11 »

Thx GM..... I'll try the F2 gig when I get home...
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

carll11 wrote:they cannot see them, yet they have disrupted this unit with cannon fire.....
If they can fire at the unit then they can see It. :roll:

LOS isn't always obvious in this game. Without the screenshot It's hard to tell what exactly happened.

As far as I remember there is LOS overlay in the interface - I often used It when deploying artillery. Maybe It can help you.
Make love, not war.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

As has been mentioned above, the LOS algorithm in the engine is not perfect, and does not cope well with reverse slopes. To be hidden a unit needs to be on the flat behind the hill.

This is a quirk of the underlying engine, not this specific game, and although we have asked for the engine LOS algorithms to be improved to better deal with reverse slopes of hills, there are apparently technical reasons why this is difficult.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Pike & Shot”