Mixed Troops vs Keil

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GamerMan
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Mixed Troops vs Keil

Post by GamerMan »

Hello, I've been playing for a while now and while i can reliably win Keil vs Keil battles or Mixed vs Mixed battles, I am having difficulty winning battles that are mixed units vs keils (and often, mixed keils vs late tercio). I find that, without rough terrain to help and cannon superiority to force the enemy forwards, that i only get 2 barrages of shots off (once as they move into range, and then once more in range) before being forced into melee, where my troops then get torn to shreds. Does anyone have any tips for these types of battles?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Mixed Troops vs Keil

Post by TheGrayMouser »

GamerMan wrote:Hello, I've been playing for a while now and while i can reliably win Keil vs Keil battles or Mixed vs Mixed battles, I am having difficulty winning battles that are mixed units vs keils (and often, mixed keils vs late tercio). I find that, without rough terrain to help and cannon superiority to force the enemy forwards, that i only get 2 barrages of shots off (once as they move into range, and then once more in range) before being forced into melee, where my troops then get torn to shreds. Does anyone have any tips for these types of battles?
I'm trying to think what battles you are playing with a lot of pure kiels versus later tercios. Try to shoot the kiels with artillery the same turns you pepper them with arquebus fire, it will increase the chance for disruptions. Costwise, there should be a lot less kiels than later tercios on the field so over power an isolated one perhaps?

Return to “Pike & Shot”