Marsaglia 1693

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Marsaglia 1693

Post by Micha63 »

A great scenario, big thank you for the designer. A small question. The savoyen arty cant move, was this done on intention or is it a misstake ?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Marsaglia 1693

Post by Paul59 »

Micha wrote:A great scenario, big thank you for the designer. A small question. The savoyen arty cant move, was this done on intention or is it a misstake ?
A mistake, how dare you! I never make mistakes.

Actually, I this is a very large scenario for Pike and Shot, and I was hitting the 64 unit per side limit. So I had to remove the limbers from the artillery, to fit more essential units on the map. The limbers count as units for the 64 unit limit.

It's all explained in the Design notes, I always put a little text file (called "Design notes") in the scenario folder.

For ease, here are the Marsaglia Design notes below, the limber issue is in point 9):

1693 Marsaglia Design Notes;

I used various internet resources and Robert Hall's CDs on the French and allied armies as the basis for this scenario.

Special thanks to Flikitos for giving permission to use his original textures for infantry and cavalry from the Blenheim Mod (For NorbSoftDev's Scourge of War PC game), I have adapted these to fit the Pike and Shot 3D models. Thanks also to Alesillo and Wangrin for the their work on the Blenheim Mod, without which I would never have discovered Flikitos' work.

Many of the flags used with permission, designed by Quindia Studios and available from Warfare Miniatures through the League of Augsburg store.

1) I have depicted the Savoy dragoons as cavalry rather than dragoons. See Staffarda scenario.

2) Finding an accurate map for this battle has been difficult. I have done my best with what is available, but the detail is not up to the standards of my Flanders campaign scenarios.

3) I have got an accurate OOB for both sides of this battle from the Nec Pluribus Impar website, backed up by Nafziger's French OOB for the battle. However, many regiments listed in the OOBs are very hard to identify. For instance the Sauvatre, Poitiers and the Reine D'Angleterre Infantry regiments that are listed in the OOB do not exist in the regimental lists according to Robert Hall's comprehensive CDs. I have had to compare the OOBs with the battle honours from Robert Hall's CDs to arrive at a reasonable composition for both armies.

4) Similarly several named French Cavalry regiments do not exist, but seem to be actually dragoon regiments. This confusion could be explained by the dragoons actually fighting as cavalry in the battle, but I have no other evidence to support this theory so I have represented the dragoons in the traditional manner.

5) 8 squadrons of the French Gendarmes were present at the battle. I do not know which ones, so I have selected 8 at random after discounting those that had been serving in Flanders.

6) The French artillery seems to have kept up with the infantry advance in this battle, and was much more manouverable than was usually the case in this period. I have never seen the AI move medium/heavy guns with limbers before, so therefore I have made the French guns medium, but with Light gun movement capabilities.

7) The 64 units per side limit is a slight problem for this scenario. The French had a few more regiments at this battle in reserve, which I have had to ignore. The Savoy army had a number of Cavalry and dragoon squadrons deployed seperately between the infantry regiments in the centre, I have had to ignore these and just incorporate them into their parent regiments on the wings, apparently they were not very effective in the centre anyway.

8) Please note that the Spanish Foot units are called Tercios, but they are not Tercios as defined in the rules, ie they are not invulnerable to flank attacks.

9) The Savoy artillery batteries do not have limbers (due to the 64 unit restriction), so do not try to move them!

10) I have used Adebar's Autumn tree textures from his Four Seasons Terrain Mod, with the normal Southern Europe Terrain tiles for this scenario.

10) Difficulty Rating; Hard.

11) Sideicons are as follows;

French; General Nicolas Catinat, commanded the French army at the battle. Made a Marshal in 1693.

Savoyard; Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy, he commanded the Savoyard army at the battle.

Uniforms and flags; I have given all units their historical uniforms and flags where possible.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Micha63

Re: Marsaglia 1693

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you Paul, for the good tips. Sorry , for the last 7 years i was busy by creating scenarios and mods for Peoples General and had less time for playing. But now the last project has finished and i try to get deeper into Pike and shoot. I must confess it took"d me almost 2 years to recognize what great game pike and shoot is. Ok, some things i will never really like like the a bit nervkilling shootingphases but in the end its a minor issue. During last weeks i playd the game a lot and its more and more fun. Your scenarios are outstanding good work and i like them, even though they are a bit hard, also in the lowest level. Keep up the good worK

Return to “Pike & Shot”