English Parliament vs New Model Army

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Ladislav
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

English Parliament vs New Model Army

Post by Ladislav »

Hello, I am well aware of the historical differences, but I wonder whether in-game there is any difference between E.Parliament and New Model Army? I mean beside the units available, which I am not sure there is a big difference.

Im currently playing as the Scots Royalists vs New Model Army, trying to model Cromwell in Ireland.

Thanks!
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: English Parliament vs New Model Army

Post by w_michael »

I don't think that there are any differences between nations in the game other than their composition of units.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Ladislav

Post by Ladislav »

Thanks for the response. Would the devs like to weigh in on this too? After all, the qualitative difference of the New Model Army was always touted in histories, when compared to older parliamentary units. Or is this somehow modeled in the game?
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Perhaps the quality of the NMA is reflected in the superior unit options: 9 unit types in the NMA ot 1645 and 11 unit types in the Parliamentary army of 1645.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ladislav wrote:Thanks for the response. Would the devs like to weigh in on this too? After all, the qualitative difference of the New Model Army was always touted in histories, when compared to older parliamentary units. Or is this somehow modeled in the game?
the qualitative difference of the New Model Army was always touted in histories
Not in reputable ones.

When the New Model Army was first formed, its infantry at least were not of any specially high quality. Its cavalry were better, because they were based on the core of Cromwell's Eastern Association "Ironsides".

The main reason for its formation was the chaotic lack of organisation in the high command of the Parliamentarian armies immediately prior to its formation. Its formation coincided with the Self-Denying Ordinance, whereby Parliamentarian officers who were also MPs had to either resign from Parliament or from the army.

The main purpose of forming the New Model Army was to improve the coherence of its command structure rather than an improvement in quality of the units - a number of which were newly formed and hence rather inexperienced..

The infantry got better with practice ;)
Richard Bodley Scott

Ladislav

Post by Ladislav »

Interesting. I couldn't never figure out how illustrations of the NMA looked any different from standard units of the period. I suppose there wasn't any. Thanks for the clarification!

Does that mean Michael's comment holds true for the game? The only difference being army composition?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ladislav wrote:Interesting. I couldn't never figure out how illustrations of the NMA looked any different from standard units of the period. I suppose there wasn't any. Thanks for the clarification!

Does that mean Michael's comment holds true for the game? The only difference being army composition?
Hardly even that. It is pretty similar to the later pre-NMA Parliamentarian army.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Pike & Shot”