Cavalry falling back after winning the fight

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Edgewalker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Cavalry falling back after winning the fight

Post by Edgewalker »

As title says, I was attempting to charge Janissaries (swords & musquet infantry) with my various cavalry units. Each of them had massive advantage (charging downhill, unprotected foot, bigger strength, troop quality etc, about 200-250 POA) with overall 70-80 % chance to win the impact. Each charge ended with my cavalry winning the fight (for example 30 enemy down vs 5 mine) and then my unit falling back. Janissaries bounced off gandarmes, late gandarmes, szeklers, demi-lancers and hussars. Is it amazing stroke of bad luck or am I missing some vital rule? I've read the whole rulebook but there is nothing about it (I'm ok with epic bad luck, that's part of the charm of the wargames).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Cavalry falling back after winning the fight

Post by rbodleyscott »

They will break off if they have a disadvantage in the ongoing combat (however small).

You probably need to disrupt them at impact in order for this not to be so.

You won the impact, but they passed their cohesion test and remained steady. So I guess you were indeed unlucky.
Richard Bodley Scott

Edgewalker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Edgewalker »

That makes sense. Thank you for a clarification and a quick response ! :-)
Ladislav
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ladislav »

Ahh, playing Hungarians v Ottomans is my specialty too. I never charged frontally against Jans., unless they were disturbed, ideally fragmented.

I find the breaking off actually really useful, because it allows your cav to charge anew. Anyway, Im curious about the battle - could you write a little more about it?

Return to “Pike & Shot”