Battle of Lesnaya 1708 scenarios

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Battle of Lesnaya 1708 scenarios

Post by Paul59 »

The Battle of Lesnaya (Great Northern war) is now available to download from the within the game.

I have made 4 scenarios for this one;

Swedish player; This scenario starts at 10am with the Russian forces advancing through the forests, a small Swedish outpost is in their path, and Swedish reinforcements are on the way to help them.

Russian player; This is the situaton at 10am from the Russian side.

Russian player 3pm; This is the situation at 3pm after the Swedes have pulled back from the forest, and have formed a battle line around the village of Lesnaya.

Multiplayer; This starts with the situation at 10am.

All the single player scenarios are Medium difficulty. The Multi player should be really good fun; the map is large and complex, the armies are large, lots of reinforcements arriving for both sides, the Swedish player must protect his cattle herds or get them off the map, lots of tactical decisions to make.

Here are some extracts from the design notes;

1) At least some of the Dragoons with Peter and Menshikov fought dismounted, so I have made their 3rd squadrons mounted infantry rather than cavalry. All of Bauer's dragoons are cavalry.

2) Russian Dragoons seem to have fought as regular infantry when dismounted, rather than skirmishers, so I have classified them as Medium Foot. They can still move more than normal infantry, but cannot evade and are not so manouverable.

3) I have reduced all infantry units (except Swedes) using less sophisticated firing techniques to 80% Musket. As the Swedes have the Salvo capability, they are already reduced at short range and if I reduce their Salvo percentage that would affect their impact capability. So I withdrawn their Regimental gun capability instead, although I have kept the LG graphic.

4) The Swedish "Cattle" units function similar to limbers, with the important exception that they are worth 30 points. It is important, therefore to prevent them being destroyed, as they will count against the Swedish routed unit percentage. You can exit them from the west end of the map, just leave them in the last road square on the way to Propoisk, and they will disappear at the end of the turn. I have used (and modified) the relevant script from the standard St Quentin scenario to achieve this. Be careful you don't block the road to Propoisk too much though, as the Swedish reinforcements will be coming up this road!

5) This scenario uses the RBS socket bayonet mod, which also allows Swedish salvo infantry to charge cavalry.

6) Many thanks to Odenathus for his cattle file which I have borrowed from his Isandlwana scenario, I have modified it slightly removing the guns, repainting the cows, and giving them the Elephant marching sound.

7) The Österbotten Infantry were all musketeers. I have assumed that the Öselska Land Militia were also musketeers, although I have no evidence for it.

8) Although it was still September the weather was quite bad and snow fell during the battle.

10) Sideicons are as follows;

Swedish; Major General Adam Ludwig Lewenhaupt, commanded at this battle.

Russian; Peter I, Tsar of Russia, commanded the Russian army at the battle.

I have used a new texturing technique on the terrain base tiles, I hope you like it.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Battle of Lesnaya 1708 scenarios

Post by smjohnso77 »

Another great one Paul! Thank you for all the great 18th century battles. Ive learned a lot about the great northern war from these too. Lots of fun!

Return to “Pike & Shot”