Flodden - Impossible to win as English?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Nakedcelt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Flodden - Impossible to win as English?

Post by Nakedcelt »

Hmm let's see, puny archery/artillery fire, bill/bow blocks that wilt on the first charge, not to mention Jedi-knight clansmen!

Oh and I'm pretty sure there were no mounted troops on either side (Lord Dacre's 'Prickers' - stop laughing at the back - dismounted to fight).
Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Flodden - Impossible to win as English?

Post by Brenmusik »

Nakedcelt wrote: ...Lord Dacre's 'Prickers' - stop laughing at the back...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one!
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: Flodden - Impossible to win as English?

Post by pantherboy »

I was able to win on my second attempt with the English (5%) vs Scotts (56%). I had some rough luck in the first game and had underestimated certain units. It seems the light foot clansmen have the impact of medium foot as they could charge my bills in the flank and cause a step loss of morale which shouldn't be the case. They should be rated as MF and thus unable to evade the English units and have less movement.

You need a good eye for maneuvering to win but basically advance to the edge of the marsh to force the pikes to struggle. Your bills can hold them off there and the smaller men-at-arms units are at an advantage. The gendarme needs to be moved to the road through the swamp and camps at the exit. The pike will be at full strength but every charge is at a slight disadvantage and will result in the gendarmes falling back after impact two hexes. You then ride them back up and repeat the process. It stops the passage of pikes through the marsh. The remainder of the English cavalry with one bill goes to the English right flank where they can easily rout the clansmen but will struggle with the far left pike of the Scotts. On that side there is one hex of rough. Place the bill unit behind it and then the computer will simply charge through it resulting in even odds while your cavalry swarms around clearing the medium and light foot setting up a rear charge on the pike. On the other side of the map where the stream is I refused the flank and placed my best men-at-arms to fight the pike crossing that way. The bills need to stay back as they will be creamed but the men-at-arms can hold long enough to then extend your line with the off board reinforcements to outflank the Scotts army and begin rolling them up.

Cheers,

Steve

PS: I don't think the game would be winnable versus a human opponent.

Return to “Pike & Shot”