Battle of Holowczyn 1708 scenario

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Battle of Holowczyn 1708 scenario

Post by Paul59 »

My latest Great Northern War scenario, the Battle of Holowczyn 1708, is now available for download.

Here are the design notes;

I used the Great Northern War Compendium, Lars Hoglund's two volumes on the GNW and Tacitus.nu's website as the basis for this scenario.

1) I have created Pine Forest for this scenario, using the trees from Sengoku Jidai.

2) The reduced visibility script from the vanilla Lutzen scenario has been used, to effect the hours of darkness. Once it becomes light, visibility returns to normal.

3) I have reduced all infantry units (except Swedes) using less sophisticated firing techniques to 80% Musket. As the Swedes have the Salvo capability, they are already reduced at short range and if I reduce their Salvo percentage that would affect their impact capability. So I withdrawn their Regimental gun capability instead, although I have kept the LG graphic.

4) This scenario uses the RBS socket bayonet mod, which also allows Swedish salvo infantry to charge cavalry.

5) Difficulty Rating; Medium

6) Sideicons are as follows;

Swedish; King Charles XII, commanded the Swedish army at the battle.

Russian; Prince General Nikita Repnin, commanded the bulk of the Russian army at the battle.

Uniforms and flags; I have given all units their historical uniforms and flags where possible.

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Battle of Holowczyn 1708 scenario

Post by HobbesACW »

Difficulty Rating; Medium - hooray! :D I look forward to this one.

Thanks,
Chris
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

Wonderful! Thank you, you're a star Paul59!
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

HobbesACW wrote:Difficulty Rating; Medium - hooray! :D I look forward to this one.

Thanks,
Chris
Don't be complacent with this one though. I rated it medium because an experienced player using the right tactics should win this quite easily, even though you will take considerable casualties. I think I was taking around 25 to 30% casualties each time. But it really comes down to using the right tactics, make a mistake and you could easily lose.

I hope you enjoy it.

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

shawkhan2
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by shawkhan2 »

Thank you for this elegant little scenario, Paul
Tried this one last night
Took me a few turns to solve the tactical puzzle leading to victory. The Russian dragoons were an unpleasant surprise.
Too bad we could not have a campaign of connected battles of CharlesXII.
Beautiful graphics in this one
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Thanks shawkhan2,

I plan on doing a Great Northern War Campaign after I have completed all the individual battle scenarios. It will be "dynamic" campaign like my War of the Roses, rather than the original P&S type of linked battles. I want to do add some exciting features like a proper historical map, rather than the old generic map (I think I can work that out, but the huge extent of the GNW is a bit of a problem), and terrain that is dependent on season (I might need some help with the scripting for that).

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Poltava
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Poltava »

Paul!

Looking forward to that dynamic GNW campaign. If you need some help with sources etc, please let me know. I have a wide range - including swedish ones - available.

Thanks for all your excellent work! Keep it up! :-)

Return to “Pike & Shot”