God I suck

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Cheesehead
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

God I suck

Post by Cheesehead »

I love this game but god I suck.

Any basic tips on who maybe to play as and against in skirmish mode and some basic tactics?

I obviously haven't figured out the rock, paper, scissors part of the game because I keep getting my ass handed to me.
jeanba
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: God I suck

Post by jeanba »

I was ok at colonel level, but now, I am bad too

I am playing the second battle of the English Civil War
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Turn on detailed tooltips and combat reports in your options. Read the pdf manual, particularly the parts about zone of control, disorder, and poa tables. Those few things helped me a great deal. Finally, keep in mind that the scenarios are actually generally harder than playing skirmishes.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

Through trial and error find out the strengths of your armies. Some armies have great firepower like the Saxons in the Great Northern War battles of the early 1700's who really suck in melee unless you can get a flank or rear attack. On the opposite, the Swedes are really good at melee and not as good with firepower in those games. Some armies have great melee cavalry and some are better at skirmishing with muskets or bows. Once you understand your armies strengths and weaknesses through playing them then you will play better and have more fun. I have been playing Malpaquet the last few days and discovered after getting my but kicked that the British and allies have better power and the French are better in melee. Once I knew that I held back and used firepower and I have progressively won 4 in a row and will attempt the 5 star highest level next. I hope that helps.
jeanba

Post by jeanba »

Thank you very much

Indeed, it's fun to learn by trial and errors

Note : as this is my first day there, I say hello everybody :)
Cheesehead

Post by Cheesehead »

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I'm playing defense on skirmishes instead of attack, which forces me to be more conservative. I'm doing a bit better.
macdonncadh
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by macdonncadh »

I struggle often as well - especially with some of the fiendishly clever user created scenarios, but that is what I love about this game. Many others are either ridiculously easy or end up using very obvious cheats to beat me. Pike & Shot has always been fun, sometimes murderously challenging, but also it feels right for all the periods covered by the scenarios. My situation being what it is, I have to mainly play the programmed opponent, and P&S is the most satisfying.
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

I believe I fit the category as per the title of this thread to 8-) meanwhile I'm organising a themed event up in the tourney section open to all newcomers and old, feel free to join so you can feel good by kicking my butt to 8-)
jeanba

Post by jeanba »

As "captain", I can win battles, but above, it is much harder
I need training
Hir0
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Hir0 »

A newbie here. I cant win the white mountain scenario in the 30 years wars.
I tried a few times, send my armies to high hill areas, but always my armies broke by the empires charges.
Really it is a difficult scenario.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Return to “Pike & Shot”