Interview to Richard Bodley Scott on Wargamer.com

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Interview to Richard Bodley Scott on Wargamer.com

Post by AlbertoC »

Wargamer.com has just published an extremely interesting interview to Richard Bodley Scott, author of Pike & Shot and Sengoku Jidai and father of Field of Glory. It touches several points, such as Richard’s opinion on the future of tabletop wargaming, how he thinks that digital wargames might evolve and – drum roll please – confirmation of the fact that he is currently working on a a sequel for a certain game...

You can read it here!
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Interview to Richard Bodley Scott on Wargamer.com

Post by ianiow »

So currently we have:

Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 1.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 2.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 3.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Digital 1- RealBasic
Field of Glory Digital 2- Unity
Field of Glory 2 - Richard Bodley Scott, Archon engine.

Isn't this all a tad confusing? How is a new customer supposed to make sense of it?
For the love of all that is holy Mr RBS, please call your game something other than "Field of Glory"!! :lol:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ianiow wrote:So currently we have:

Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 1.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 2.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval Wargaming Rules 3.0 - tabletop miniatures
Field of Glory Digital 1- RealBasic
Field of Glory Digital 2- Unity
Field of Glory 2 - Richard Bodley Scott, Archon engine.

Isn't this all a tad confusing? How is a new customer supposed to make sense of it?
For the love of all that is holy Mr RBS, please call your game something other than "Field of Glory"!! :lol:
To add to the fun there was an old Napoleonic computer game called Fields of Glory!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I'm looking forward to the Field of Glory 2 computer game. I have lots of Ancients miniatures, but I thought that the tabletop game had too much adjudication for my taste. The same went for the FOG: Renaissance game. P&S takes removes all of the tedium.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
eblingus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by eblingus »

Interesting take by RBS - that computer wargames will replace table-top ones. LOL I have always tired quickly of computer wargames myself, because of their greatest flaw to me: the rules and dice are hidden from the player. With TT games, you have a copy of the rules and get to see every dice roll, so win or lose, you pretty much know why. Computer games, not so much. Clearly I am not alone, as most negative reviews I have read for computer wargames are because things happen to the player and they have no idea why - feels like cheating, which is what programmers do when they can't write good AI, so easy to believe. Even the FOG2 computer game, which is clearly based on a TT game, suffers from this problem. The manual is not very good, the interface provides confusing and incomplete data, etc. I would have given up on it long ago if it wasn't for the fact that I can read the code, and find out why things happen. Alas, that is also a great deal of work, beyond most gamers, I think.

Return to “Pike & Shot”