I love P&S engine

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: I love P&S engine

Post by Micha63 »

I must confess i did not love the game from the beginning. I"m a player of the panzergeneral series for almost 20 yearts. This game is different and i started and abondened it many times. But after patiently diving deeper in to the game i must confess its an outstanding work and one of the best stratgames ever made.
Hope scenariomakers will do more scenarios.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

For me, the similarity with table top gaming is part of the joy of the game, it has this quality which very few other computer wargames can offer. Each one to his own, but, as Micha says, don't be to quick to give up on it. I fought you as Swedes v Danes late 17C and you said that the armies were unbalanced. They are certainly different, the Swedish tactics should be to advance to melee, the Danes to maximise their advantage in defensive firepower with their musketeers, avoiding hand to hand combat unless advantageous. To be even handed when I put up the challenge I also put up one for Danes v Swedes. The different armies and tactics you need to use to get the most out of them is all part of the fun.
bh69
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by bh69 »

My post was rather critical, but I must say there are many things I like. But main problem for me is that this game is very slow and most of time I have only to observe long boring sequences of computer actions ... It's fun to play some multiplayer game (1-2 turns per day needs acceptable time amount), but historical battles or even campaigns are so time demanding that I cann't justify such time wasting :-) I would prefer very similar game but different game mode - planing orders for all units and one simultanous action (I'm no game expert, but I think it's so called WEGO system). It would be more dynamic and more reality like too.

Ad weak/strong army in multiplayer - I have no problem to lose battles, it's only fun and I have no need to be victorious. So it wouldn't be reason to stop play :-)
Dino_SWE
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dino_SWE »

Agreed. The engine is great, and the time period is the best. Match made in heaven.

My onIy 'complaint' is I wish it was a little more shiny; weather, better terrain and unit detail, lingering gunsmoke etc.

The sound mod is essential.
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

Which sound mod?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Dino_SWE
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dino_SWE »

DonCzirr wrote:Which sound mod?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=53331

Basically a collection of sound files to replace the default ones, by pasting the ones you want into the game folder %/Data/Sounds
The salvo sound alone makes the game 75% better :)
Heartland

Post by Heartland »

As a recent buyer of Pike & Shot (have been glancing this way for some time, but am mostly a 20th century guy... :-) ) I have to add my praise to the ones above. Excellent work!
The game engine seems well suited to the time period, and offers a good compromise between action/reaction for a turn-based game. Personally I do not feel the need for plotting/simultaneous execution, which has a set of problems of its own...
vonZipper
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by vonZipper »

I am also a big fan of this game/engine and see a lot of potential for future uses.

I also have to echo another sentiment I've seen, which is probably my main gripe(for lack of a better term), which is the lack of leaders. I think some sort of leader system would really push this engine over the edge.
That said, great stuff!
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

vonZipper wrote:I am also a big fan of this game/engine and see a lot of potential for future uses.

I also have to echo another sentiment I've seen, which is probably my main gripe(for lack of a better term), which is the lack of leaders. I think some sort of leader system would really push this engine over the edge.
That said, great stuff!
I"m not agree, a Leadersystem is what will keep away new players from the game. From John Tiller games i know the frustration to rally units againe and again instead of figthing. As an option ok, but not permanentely.
Last edited by Micha63 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I think Leaders would be great.

Perhaps they can be assigned an attribute that governs their tendency to act like the Captain in The 300 and charge after enemies or to follow specific orders. Would be interesting ....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

Return to “Pike & Shot”