The List of Wars

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

The List of Wars

Post by w_michael »

A great way to appreciate the variety of armies, and changes in technology, in Pike & Shot Campaigns is to work your way through the List of Wars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... rs_by_date. You start in the last year of the First Muscovite-Lithuanian War of 1492-1494. Play one skirmish with the primary armies in each war, and then move on to the next. You will end with the Azov Campaigns of 1695-1696 (Russian Empire vs. Ottoman Empire).
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Miletus
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: The List of Wars

Post by Miletus »

Great idea, thanks for posting the link!
Cheers,
Miletus.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls -
just answer the door already!"
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Miletus wrote:Great idea, thanks for posting the link!
The List of Wars makes an interesting read all by itself. I had never heard of the Cologne War :D.
Miletus

Post by Miletus »

Yes, lots of nice juicy little wars that I've never heard of before either. So much to do, so little time!
Cheers,
Miletus.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Great idea and neat list.

RBS, we are going to need Scottish colonialists and Panamanian Spanish Garrison army lists!. Had never heard of the Scottish lost colony in Panama, good stuff!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

TheGrayMouser wrote:Great idea and neat list.

RBS, we are going to need Scottish colonialists and Panamanian Spanish Garrison army lists!. Had never heard of the Scottish lost colony in Panama, good stuff!
Even if you keep it to Europe, the Teutonic Knights/Livonian Confederation army lists would be nice for the Polish-Teutonic War 1519-1521 or the Livonian War 1558-1583.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Miletus wrote:Yes, lots of nice juicy little wars that I've never heard of before either. So much to do, so little time!
If you find an obscure war that tickles your fancy then play it out as a campaign instead of a skirmish as I did with the Swabian War.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The English financial bailout of the Scots following the disastrous failure of the Darien scheme was one of the main reasons that the Scots accepted the Act of Union in 1707.
Richard Bodley Scott

Miletus

Post by Miletus »

rbodleyscott wrote:

The English financial bailout of the Scots following the disastrous failure of the Darien scheme was one of the main reasons that the Scots accepted the Act of Union in 1707.
I believe it was Keats who wrote:

Or like Bodley Scott when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the monitor — began to code, and then
Presented P&S fans with a nice surprise —
A new campaign, complete with Darien.
Cheers,
Miletus.

Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Philippeatbay »

stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers »

This list is vry useful.......Any chance of it being "stickied" for people new to the game in the future ?
bloodphoenix

Post by bloodphoenix »

Thanks for posting this link! Something I absolutely love is when I find a game that is not only enjoyable to play, but that actively teaches me history from an era I had neglected in the past. I was aware of the major wars, of course, like the 30-Years War, but so many of the more obscure ones had escaped my attention. Although I'm willing to entertain the notion that my history classes may have glossed over much world history, in order to focus on the details of events in America. By the way, I chose the word "obscure" carefully, because they were obscure TO ME...as I did not want to apply the term "minor" to conflicts that were anything but minor to their participants! I was utterly shocked when P&S introduced me to the Dutch War of Independence from Spanish Hapsburg control. To think that most Americans consider our own 8-year Revolutionary War to have lasted "a long time"...imagine ten times that long!

But as others have mentioned, the list you linked to includes a number of wars whose names alone are fascinating. Take this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_Cod_wars
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

rbodleyscott wrote:

The Act of Union in 1707 also inspired Robert Burns' poem Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation in 1791. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Such_a_Pa ... n_a_Nation

I've always enjoyed the Steeleye Span musical rendition Rogues in a Nation set to a funeral dirge tempo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLufwtSZiIs It is very stirring.

Return to “Pike & Shot”