How to upgrade to Pike & Shot: Campaigns

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: How to upgrade to Pike & Shot: Campaigns

Post by rbodleyscott »

CR wrote:Thanks for prompt and detailed replies.
Obviously the convoluted Apple submissions policies and the cross platforms promotions restrictions leave iPad P&S owners somewhat 'out in the cold'.
We are as unhappy about this as you are, as you can imagine.
Richard Bodley Scott

Blackfyre
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Blackfyre »

Thanks @rbodleyscott for the detailed and quick reply.

I understand now and you have my full support on your decision. Thanks for keeping the multiplayer alive for us.

I hope it does not mean that all games from Slitherine on iPad are affected from lack of further updates (including Pancer Corps), as I'm a big fan (and of course I own them all). I'm an iPad-only gamer though and never touch my PC outside of work.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Blackfyre wrote:
I hope it does not mean that all games from Slitherine on iPad are affected from lack of further updates (including Pancer Corps), as I'm a big fan (and of course I own them all). I'm an iPad-only gamer though and never touch my PC outside of work.
As far as I know, Panzer Corps won't be affected.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Correct - PzC doesn't use any of the code which causes issues for the STUB-engine-based games.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Blackfyre

Post by Blackfyre »

Phew!!

*Finally falls asleep*
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

VPaulus wrote:
CR wrote:Hi

As an owner of P&S and the TtoS expansion on iPad, I was really interested in 'Campaigns' for the iPad.
I understand from an earlier enquiry that this is not possible due to Apple restrictions but therefore am I, and possibly others like me, allowed any discount on the PC version of 'Campaigns'?

Regards
CR
I'm sorry but that's not possible. Apple doesn't permit cross platform promotions between iPad and other platforms.
It just goes to show one more time how much Apple cares for its customers concerns. When you sell your soul to Apple you've made your bargain with the devil.

I also assume this means that should there prove to be any secutiry issues or other severe bugs with a current Apple 32 bit iPad app, that Apple wouldn't permit it to be fixed?

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Tiopepe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tiopepe »

When will be possible to have p&s campaigns with multiplayer?. Its the only thing this fantastic game needs and, probably pc users wont play back the original p&s when have this feature.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Tiopepe wrote:When will be possible to have p&s campaigns with multiplayer?. Its the only thing this fantastic game needs and, probably pc users wont play back the original p&s when have this feature.
The current engine cannot handle multiplayer campaigns. This feature is therefore a long way off.
Richard Bodley Scott

FluffyFoxy
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by FluffyFoxy »

With the new P&S: Campaigns I have finally returned to the game again and enjoy it immensely. (And thank you for that more than fair discount!) I was wondering if user-created campaigns (for the campaign mode) are possible. I assume they are and that we will see downloadable campaigns soon. But I just thought I'd ask anyway :D
Last edited by FluffyFoxy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

FluffyFoxy wrote:With the new P&S: Campaigns I have finally returned to the game again and enjoy it immensely. (And thank you for that more than fair discount!) I was wondering if user-created campaigns (for the campaign mode) are possible. I assume they are and that we will see downloadable campaigns soon. But I just I'd ask anyway :D
They are certainly possible but the map creation process is a bit arcane, and not for the faint-hearted.

So it would be easy for modders to make campaigns using the existing maps (for different campaigns in the same geographical area), but they would need to be made of sterner stuff to make new maps.

For example it would not be too hard to set up campaigns covering:

- 16th century Ottoman Wars of Expansion (using the Great Turkish War map)
- Schmalkaldic War (1546) (using the Gustavus Adolphus map)

or even

- Wars of the Roses (using the ECW map)
Richard Bodley Scott

FluffyFoxy

Post by FluffyFoxy »

rbodleyscott wrote:
FluffyFoxy wrote:With the new P&S: Campaigns I have finally returned to the game again and enjoy it immensely. (And thank you for that more than fair discount!) I was wondering if user-created campaigns (for the campaign mode) are possible. I assume they are and that we will see downloadable campaigns soon. But I just I'd ask anyway :D
They are certainly possible but the map creation process is a bit arcane, and not for the faint-hearted.

So it would be easy for modders to make campaigns using the existing maps (for different campaigns in the same geographical area), but they would need to be made of sterner stuff to make new maps.

For example it would not be too hard to set up campaigns covering:

- 16th century Ottoman Wars of Expansion (using the Great Turkish War map)
- Schmalkaldic War (1546) (using the Gustavus Adolphus map)

or even

- Wars of the Roses (using the ECW map)
Good stuff! Well, I hope some modders will dig into this arcane process regardless so that we will see great new campaigns. Personally I'd love to see a Sengoku Jidai campaign. Hey we can dream, can't we? :P
skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

Obviously the convoluted Apple submissions policies and the cross platforms promotions restrictions leave iPad P&S owners somewhat 'out in the cold'.
Kind regards anyway
CR
Yes, we have been orphaned on iPad. The rules are for apps to have 64 bit support - so it sounds like the case that the game does not have 64 bit support.

As it is likely that Apple will remove support for apps with only 32 bit code support when they stop supporting 32 bit devices, I presume at that point P&S on iOS will no longer work and be defunct?
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

skoptic wrote:
Kind regards anyway
CR
Yes, we have been orphaned on iPad. The rules are for apps to have 64 bit support - so it sounds like the case that the game does not have 64 bit support.

As it is likely that Apple will remove support for apps with only 32 bit code support when they stop supporting 32 bit devices, I presume at that point P&S on iOS will no longer work and be defunct?

That's not good for a premium $20 price tag ios game.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

skoptic wrote:
Kind regards anyway
CR

It that is true, it will presumably only apply to new iPads, not to existing ones.
Richard Bodley Scott

skoptic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by skoptic »

It will apply to the iOS and any who choose to update I believe. Of course at that point only newer iPad will be able to update, but essentially this means that there is a shelf life already on this game if there are no plans to make it compatible with 64 bit, which is a shame as it is great.

Caveat Emptor!
dboeren
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by dboeren »

This is very disappointing to hear. I just found out about Pike & Shot Campaigns and was coming here specifically to ask about whether there would be an iPad version.

I guess the only way that will happen is if the engine is rewritten to be 64-bit, and that is probably unlikely to happen. Well, that or if some loophole is found around the policy.
sumarrebgan

Post by sumarrebgan »

You're kidding me I bought this game on I pad after seeing it reviewed on you tube with campaign

YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY GOT TO MAKE THIS AVALABLE TO I PAD

what's the point otherwise
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

sumarrebgan wrote:You're kidding me I bought this game on I pad after seeing it reviewed on you tube with campaign

YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY GOT TO MAKE THIS AVALABLE TO I PAD

what's the point otherwise
Unfortunately we can't, for the reasons stated above. Because the program is 32-bit only, Apple's new rules won't let us update or patch it in any way.

This means that we cannot add the strategic campaign system to the iPad version, because it requires a new version of the engine, which Apple's rules wont allow.

Believe me, we are as unhappy about this as you are. It is the reason why we were forced to issue Pike & Shot: Campaigns as a separate game (on PC only), rather than as a DLC for Pike & Shot (on PC and iPad).

However, we are able to add new content that works with the old version of the engine (which, unfortunately, does not include the campaign system) via the in-game free download system. We have released the "Le Roi Soleil" skirmish module in this way this week. (You can find it by going to Historical from the main menu then tapping the Download Community Scenarios button. You will find the official free Byzantine Games Le Roi Soleil single-player and multi-player updates near the end of the list.)
Richard Bodley Scott

Dualnet
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Dualnet »

Hi

You state that "there is no option to play the new campaign feature in multiplayer"

Can I ask why ever not?

That's the whole reason I upgraded.

Will you develop this feature to include a multiplayer version in the future?
iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

Dualnet wrote:Hi

You state that "there is no option to play the new campaign feature in multiplayer"

Can I ask why ever not?

That's the whole reason I upgraded.

Will you develop this feature to include a multiplayer version in the future?
I was hoping this could happen as well.
Ta
Ian

Return to “Pike & Shot”