Behemoth - Campaign Thread

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Behemoth - Campaign Thread

Post by batesmotel »

Another victory for Parliament

Parliament under batesmotel (24%) beat Royalists under TheGrayMouser (54%)

Both armies' right flanks were destroyed but Parliament was able to rampage into the Royalist center faster than the Cavaliers were able to exploit their victory on their left. Thanks for the game.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

New map and results will be published today!
Keyth

ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

keyth wrote:New map and results will be published today!
Follow the link for the latest map and manager spreadsheet.
Keyth

awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Keyth,

while the map shows the armies at current strength, with several Royalist and 2 Parliamentary armies needing to rebuild, the table shows our VIII army and all Parliamentary armies at full strength.

Also are you going to publish the current initiative table? I know Parliament has the initiative again, but it would be nice to get the summary of where the two sides have control.

Thanking you,

Andre
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Now that Pike and Shot Campaigns is out, should we consider using that instead of Pike andn Shot for the remainder of the campaign? Probably the first thing to do is to take a poll of who has Pike and Shot Campaigns. I have it and would vote to switch to get the latest updates to the game as well as ot be able to get updates going forward.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Philippeatbay »

I have Campaigns as well, although it's probably a moot point because I never get to do any fighting.
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit »

I don't have P&S Campaigns, but will buy it soon.
youngr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by youngr »

I don't have P&S Campaigns....
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Obviously I do have it.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Philippe_at_bay wrote:I have Campaigns as well, although it's probably a moot point because I never get to do any fighting.
Yes, that is a bit of an issue with this campaign. Most of us are sitting around doing nothing. The campaign rules are obviously more realistic than the Great Rebellion ones, but are perhaps more suited to a two-player campaign.
Richard Bodley Scott

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hmm, I know Keyth has been away during key moments in turn "turn around" but I share the sentiment that in this type of campaign format, basically all players are simply waiting to be told if they have a battle to fight.... I dont think even rotating command every turn is a real cure and am at a loss for suggestions. That being said I will remain on board.

I have Campaigns, BTW
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

There does seem to be a lot of waiting around. But Keyth is obviously a very busy man, and if he's like me has got quite involved in the second round of Caracole3.

I think the actual campaign works at a strategic level but only a few of the players are actually fighting battles. Can I suggest that the players on each side are drawn in a random order and each battle is fought by the next pair of players on the list. Once all 10 have played the list is drawn again randomly with any pair who have played in the last two rounds being separated. Otherwise I can see a few players continually fighting the same opponent over and over again, while others never get a game at all.

I don't have campaigns yet but am planning to very soon.

Andre
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I have campaigns and am actually quite glad I have not been asked to fight any battles. My plate is quite full with caracole games right now and my poor old brain is feeling over taxed with great rebellion, carricole 2 and this campaign. I put myself up as a reserve for Keyths Japanese campaign as I can't handle any more games, it takes me an hour or more just to get through the games I have going already. All fun though.
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Hello everyone.

First of all, sorry for the recent lack of communication - holiday followed by a mad week at work!

I share the feeling that this format simply does not work for the number of players involved. The structure required to keep the game manageable constrains play (i.e. P&S battles) far more than I ever anticipated and leaves the majority of players twiddling their thumbs wondering what they have actually signed up for. So, based on that analysis, I am going to draw a line under this campaign and finish it now. It was always going to be a bit of an experiment and I apologise that it has not ended especially well. Most of all, thank you all for you input and giving this game a chance. I have learned many things from it and will be incorporating those lessons into a Sengoku Jidai game soon(ish); I am not going to rush this out the door until I am sure that all players will fight every turn if they so wish.

Thanks again,

Keyth
Keyth

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks Keyth for your efforts, but I think its a wise decision. Its ironic that what seemed a much inferior format - the Great Rebellion - has proved to be superior and more involving than Behemoth for the number of players involved.

Frankly I have been a bit embarrassed at my lack of involvement after contributing some source materials and initial comments but I didn't find it easy to keep track of what was happening overall or to propose something original. In marked contrast I would note to those stalwarts (take a bow) who have made a real and invaluable contribution to the game play and strategical discussions and proposals. It wasn't for the want of trying on my part as I dutifully downloaded the files each turn onto my PC and tablet but my alternative software to Excel couldn't handle much zooming or movement around the map before pushing the overlay off its bearings! Clearly better if I just stick to updating the GR map. :)
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Keyth,

thanks for setting this up and giving it a go. I have really enjoyed the strategic and logistics side of it, and think it would make a great two player campaign.

I look forward to the Japanese campaign,

Andre
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

awesum4 wrote:Keyth,

thanks for setting this up and giving it a go. I have really enjoyed the strategic and logistics side of it, and think it would make a great two player campaign.

I look forward to the Japanese campaign,

Andre
Thanks Andre. I think you have identified the key problem - there's a bit too much 'two-player boardgame' about the system for it to be engaging and successful for more than a handful of players. The greatest hindrance for true multiplayer is the supply lines and everything that surrounds them; trying to prevent tag-teaming, optimistic moves, etc. Japan will be a much simpler place :)

Cheers.
Keyth

keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Ironclad wrote:Thanks Keyth for your efforts, but I think its a wise decision. Its ironic that what seemed a much inferior format - the Great Rebellion - has proved to be superior and more involving than Behemoth for the number of players involved.

Frankly I have been a bit embarrassed at my lack of involvement after contributing some source materials and initial comments but I didn't find it easy to keep track of what was happening overall or to propose something original. In marked contrast I would note to those stalwarts (take a bow) who have made a real and invaluable contribution to the game play and strategical discussions and proposals. It wasn't for the want of trying on my part as I dutifully downloaded the files each turn onto my PC and tablet but my alternative software to Excel couldn't handle much zooming or movement around the map before pushing the overlay off its bearings! Clearly better if I just stick to updating the GR map. :)
Thanks - TGR works because it is abstract. Little by little, I learn from my mistakes :) Thanks again for your input in the very early days, lots of very useful insights!
Keyth

KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Massive effort on your part Keith with Behemoth, thanks for giving it a go.
My X Army sitting in York must be the most well fed and equipped army in the Game.. :D

Maybe the TGR system could be used in a TYW campaign?
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Keyth thank you for all your work and effort. Perhaps I will see you in the land of the Setting Sun.

Return to “Pike & Shot”