Period Novels

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Period Novels

Post by stockwellpete »

Doyley50 wrote:Michael Arnold is an author who has written a series of 5 or 6 novels set in the ECW with the same main character appearing in all of them.

All their novels are entertaining "ripping yarns" and well worth reading.
I am reading the first one in this series "Traitor's Blood" and it is very entertaining. It is written in a similar style to Bernard Cornwell's novels.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

stockwellpete wrote:
Doyley50 wrote:Michael Arnold is an author who has written a series of 5 or 6 novels set in the ECW with the same main character appearing in all of them.

All their novels are entertaining "ripping yarns" and well worth reading.
I am reading the first one in this series "Traitor's Blood" and it is very entertaining. It is written in a similar style to Bernard Cornwell's novels.

Second that, pretty good if you like the "Richard Sharpe" format.

Some other recent "P&S" time line reads that I could recommend:

Rakossy, Cecelia Holland: set on the eve of the Turkish invasion of Hungary ( ie Mohacs) I cant believe this author has been writing since the 60's and never heard of her

Venetian Exile, Robert Burns: mixed blood Spaniard flees post Granada conquest Spain and enters the service of Venice

Wolf of the Steppes, Harold Lamb (Cossack action) If you like RE Howard, you likely will enjoy this.

non fiction

The Deeds of Commander Pietro Mocenigo, Cippico(1425-93) basically an eye witness war journal of a Dalmation noblemen commenting on the Venetian Commander's( and later Doge) exploits in the Eastern Med.
If you change all the names to Nordic, it would sound exactly like Viking excursions: raid on city, destroy, pillage, sell off all survivors as slaves!

Ivan the Terrible A Military History, Alexander Filjushkin: Pretty detailed history of the Livonian wars mid to late 16th century and also a lot on Moscow vs the various Khanates. I have nothing to compare to it as detailed info on the Baltic/ Eastyern Europe is pretty hard to find in English languages. A shame that the kindle makes it hard to fully enjoy the many maps and etc within.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Now that we have two battles from the War of the Spanish succession (excellent work Odenathus and edward77-many thanks!) some of you may be interested in a series of three novels by Iain Gale set in the period. These are ripping yarns in the style of the Sharpe novels, and a good read.

Man of Honour, Rules of War and Brothers in Arms.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

When I was a young man I read many of the Scottish historical fiction novels by prolific writer Nigel Tranter. Here is a link to the novels set between 1286 and 1603:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... 6_and_1603

..and after 1603:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historica ... after_1603
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast

Return to “Pike & Shot”