Pike & Shot Running in Mac-Wine?

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

vicco
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Pike & Shot Running in Mac-Wine?

Post by vicco »

Hi!

Has anyone been able to run the game in a Mac using Wine, especially in the Mavericks OS?
acarhj

Re: Pike & Shot Running in Mac-Wine?

Post by acarhj »

Have you figured this one out yet Vicco? I am curious before I shell out money for this game since I run it under WINE in LINUX. If not, what is the system doing?
vicco

Post by vicco »

acarhj wrote:Have you figured this one out yet Vicco? I am curious before I shell out money for this game since I run it under WINE in LINUX. If not, what is the system doing?
Hi acarhj. Like you, I'm holding off buying P&S until someone has been able to run this in Wine. From the lack of replies, it seems no one has been successful. P&S & BA2 are the two games I'm eagerly waiting for someone to find a way to run in Wine.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vicco wrote:
acarhj wrote:Have you figured this one out yet Vicco? I am curious before I shell out money for this game since I run it under WINE in LINUX. If not, what is the system doing?
Hi acarhj. Like you, I'm holding off buying P&S until someone has been able to run this in Wine. From the lack of replies, it seems no one has been successful.
Or perhaps no-one has yet tried.
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Seems to work with wine 1.7.30 on my macbook with Yosemite. While I haven't been able to get it to bundle itself into a working self-contained (wine bottled) app, I did get Pike and Shot to load up after directly running the installer using the wine files prefix and then going to the game executable in the wine file manager to actually launch the game. Haven't tested if MP or updates will work. However, skirmish and campaigns appear to be in working order.

This suggests that somebody with a bit more wine/wine bottler know how could probably get it packaged into nice self contained package with the icon and everything.
Image Image
vicco

Post by vicco »

Hi Pixel!

I'm not that technical to completely understand what you've done. Any way you can show it with screenshots or a step-by-step procedure? Really appreciate if you could help clarify.
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Hey Vicco,

Here are instructions on how to get Pike and Shot working using a Wineskin Wrapper (this worked better then wine bottler for me). The nice thing about this approach is you'll have a self contained application in the end.

1 ) google wineskin or go to http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php.

2 ) Download Wineskin Winery 1.7 and extract the zip to your desktop.

Image Image

3 ) Double click the Wineskin Winery icon.

4 ) Use the + button to add WS9Wine1.7.28 as an Engine and click download and install.

Image Image

5 ) Pick Wineskin-2.6.0 as the wrapper version and then click create new blank wrapper. Name your wrapper (e.g. Pike and Shot.app) If it prompts to install mono to run programs that need the .net framework let it do its thing and do the same if it asks about gecko.

6 ) Once the wrapper is created click on View Wrapper in finder.

7 ) Double click on the wrapper and click on install software. Direct it to where ever PikeAndShot-SetupRelease-v100.exe is.

Image Image Image

8 ) run the installer (which will work as it does on a windows pc) and opt to install directx when it asks.

9 ) when the installer finishes a wineskin dialog will direct the wrapper to: /Program Files/Slitherine/Pike and Shot/autorun.exe as the file which the wrapped app will launch.

10 ) within the wrapper (right/secondary click it then click view contents) their are three folders contents, drive_c, and wineskin. Under drive_c in program files under slitherine are all the game files. If you want to grab the icon you can do so (macs use .icns not .ico so you will want to copy the image and rename it if you do this).

Image Image

11 ) Clicking on Wineskin within the wrapped app will give you an options menu Advanced will let you change the executable file that is run by the wrapped app (e.g. if you wanted it to run pikeandshot.exe directly instead of launching autorun.exe first.

12 ) double clicking on the wrapped app will launch the game!!

Image Image

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Pixel on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Image Image
vicco

Post by vicco »

Thanks a lot, pixel! Very extensive & clear!

Will also try this with BA2 as I couldn't get it to run in Wine under the normal procedure.
acarhj

Post by acarhj »

Thank you Pixel! I may know what I am going to buy myself for Christmas! :D

BA2's problem was it did not write one of the config files. Once I got the defaults loaded into the correct named file, it ran like a charm. Better than BA1 really.

For installing, I simply use the "uninstall programs" option in my WINE setup. It is missnamed. It should be called "install/uninstall programs." I've not tried "bottling" yet.
vicco

Post by vicco »

Thanks for the tip, acarhj! For the moment, I'll try to get a copy of the Mac version as I was part of the BA2 beta test. I think the testers were allowed to have both PC & Mac versions. Just sent a note to Ian about it.
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Glad to see that others have had success getting P&S working in wine using these instructions. If P&S does get an official mac version please be sure to support rbodleyscott and Slitherine.

@rbodleyscott: I hope having these instructions here is alright. If not I'll happily take them down.

@everyone else: Keep your pikes pointed at the enemy and your matchlocks dry.
Image Image
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Pixel wrote:@rbodleyscott: I hope having these instructions here is alright. If not I'll happily take them down.
Don't ask me, Slitherine are in charge of that sort of thing.
Richard Bodley Scott

Corsoterrestre
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Corsoterrestre »

Hi,

My name is Borja Vargas and I am new to this forum.

I have been able to play "pike and shot" on a mac with Crossover. Apparently it works very well.

Borja Vargas
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Corsoterrestre wrote:Hi,

My name is Borja Vargas and I am new to this forum.

I have been able to play "pike and shot" on a mac with Crossover. Apparently it works very well.

Borja Vargas

Good to know. Thanks.
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Corsoterrestre I noticed your tech support topic regarding the loading of Multiplayer turns. I know Crossover is based on Wine and that from my testing I can issue challenges but can't load my PBEM turns in my wine port. Single player works great though. I think running a fuller virtualization environment such as Parallels or VM Ware Fusion or just bootcamping it with a windows installation are a better bet if playing MP is your goal. If I do figure how to get MP fully working in Wine I'll let you guys know.
Image Image
flatsix518
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by flatsix518 »

I run many Slitherine games (including Pike & Shot) on my Mac using a Virtual PC machine based on VM Ware Fusion with a Windows 7 installation.

No issues single or multi-player.

John
Corsoterrestre

Post by Corsoterrestre »

Thank you, Pixel. I have already tested it with parallels and it works. However, Ii would be mucho more convenient (and cheaper) to play with wine. I have asked the Crossover support team if they can sort the problem out buy I suppose it is not so ease.

Borja
Corsoterrestre

Post by Corsoterrestre »

The Crossover support team has not been able to fix the problem with Multiplayer option. I suppose the only option is parallels or bootcamp, unless someone finds a solution. It is a shame because wine for the offline version runs faster and is more convenient than parallels.

Borja
atore
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by atore »

After following the provided instructions I have 2 problems:

- with the original, I execute the app. I get the initial P&S screen, but after clicking on play game I get a white screen. So it doesn't work.

- I'm trying to install the 1.2 patch, but after following instructions and executing the installer, it says it P&S isn't installed so it can't continue

Any help please
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

@atore

This might fix the white screen on clicking "Play Pike and Shot" in the auto-run launcher.

1) within the wrapper (right/secondary click it then click show package contents) there are three folders: contents, drive_c, and wineskin.
2) click wineskin
3) click set screen options
4) under other options check use mac driver instead of X11
5) try launching the wrapped game again (this may fix the white screen issue)

As for the patch I think the current latest version for the original P&S is 1.0.4. I'm sure rbodleyscott or one of the Sitherine guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

1.1.2 is the latest non-beta version of P&S: Campaigns as of this post.

Perhaps the patch installer you are trying to use is for P&S: Campaigns and not the original Pike and Shot?

See if the check for update button on the auto-run launcher works. I believe my wrapper was able to update to the latest version (1.0.4) this way.

I'm currently running a wineskin wrapped version of the original P&S using Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.2 and the Engine WS9Wine1.9.9.

MP still hangs on loading into a challenge, and I haven't been able to find a workaround, but single player should work well.

Haven't tested any of this with P&S:Campaigns though. Hope this helps. It's worth a try to see if it'll work at least, right? :D
Last edited by Pixel on Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Return to “Pike & Shot”