iOS Beta
Mkboy1313
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: First Impressions

Post by Mkboy1313 »

First impressions

From launch to first campaign action

The pre-game menus and instruction are much too small, I'm actually assuming this is the result of a port? Text hard to read on old eyes.

The map is really nice. The fog effect on the edges has a really nice aesthetic, lemon ding to the wintery, grey mood of the event.

5min in
The tsp and hold gameplay is nice and easy to understand. The serif fonts though are difficult, as is the overall font size, especially on the field. I'm wanting to zoom in constantly. The text for the objective descriptions when starting really puts a strain on my bi-vocals. The lower left action menu isn't very useful due to the tiny font size.

Really enjoyed the gameplay though. The smaller resolution made it not quite as enjoyable.

I still have to dedicate some time to the game, adopted a second pup late last week and it's been chaos!
Evilmonkey
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Evilmonkey »

Could you add in a 'coordinated charge' attack for the lower end infantry units (sorry forget their name)?

They seem to be pretty weak and you trade of points with the enemy essentially on attack... half the battle is getting them in the right place without them being suppressed and moved back.

When you have say 3 units on all sides of an stronger infantry hex a coordinated charge option could be good, giving them some extra strength?

Thanks,

EviLMonkeY
IonutG
Shenandoah
Shenandoah

Post by IonutG »

Evilmonkey wrote:Could you add in a 'coordinated charge' attack for the lower end infantry units (sorry forget their name)?

They seem to be pretty weak and you trade of points with the enemy essentially on attack... half the battle is getting them in the right place without them being suppressed and moved back.

When you have say 3 units on all sides of an stronger infantry hex a coordinated charge option could be good, giving them some extra strength?

Thanks,

EviLMonkeY

Hi Evilmonkey,
Yes, we have the option but is not available yet, you will be able to encircle enemy units.

Cheers
IonutG
Shenandoah
Shenandoah

Post by IonutG »

Mkboy1313 wrote:First impressions

From launch to first campaign action

The pre-game menus and instruction are much too small, I'm actually assuming this is the result of a port? Text hard to read on old eyes.

The map is really nice. The fog effect on the edges has a really nice aesthetic, lemon ding to the wintery, grey mood of the event.

5min in
The tsp and hold gameplay is nice and easy to understand. The serif fonts though are difficult, as is the overall font size, especially on the field. I'm wanting to zoom in constantly. The text for the objective descriptions when starting really puts a strain on my bi-vocals. The lower left action menu isn't very useful due to the tiny font size.

Really enjoyed the gameplay though. The smaller resolution made it not quite as enjoyable.

Hi Mkboy1313,
Thank you for your feedback,

The text will be revisited and the zoom option will be added.

Thank you for your time

I still have to dedicate some time to the game, adopted a second pup late last week and it's been chaos!
Evilmonkey

Post by Evilmonkey »

Can you move the 'end turn' button somewhere else via preferences?

... I seem to accidentally hit it quite a lot with the palm of the my right hand, and with no 'confirm to end turn' its a bit pesky.
Evilmonkey

Post by Evilmonkey »

If you have a few units in ambush, and a enemy gets into range.. it all seems to happen at once (all units firing instantly) and almost seems way too quick... can you stagger the units so you can see what has fired in order?
imPsimon
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by imPsimon »

As others have said, text and menus are to small in several occasions.
Sometimes the english grammar is poor so that needs a work over.

So far the game seems simplistic enough as most of the games in this genre is only for fundamentalists.
I like games that are simple in design but deep in tactics so it feels good so far.

My experience with these kind of games are unity of command and drive on moscow.
I use an ipad air with no hiccups so far.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Hi there, glad you like the game. Keeping the game simple to use, yet hard to master was our long-term goal :). We're happy when we get that kind of appreciation.
The texts are being revamped by a professional and will be implemented in the final build :).
Regarding the still small fonts, where did you feel them still too small? We may have missed some parts.

Regards,
88mm team
imPsimon

Post by imPsimon »

I would personally like the popup information for units to be larger since it doesn't really matter if it get's
in the way of things.
Also, when a unit is in the top of the screen and i bring up the popup information its half way outside the screen

trying to zoom out while already being zoomed out max can make the screen go mental rapidly shaking left and right.

One thing I don't really like is large numbers.
I don't like to count attack and defence in the hundreds. I remember when I first played a game like CIV 5 how
easy it was to remember things when your dealing with small numbers like gaining 1 food from a hex etc.
When you look at the map the numbers on the units are in the 10 number range but when I open the
popup menu there are numbers going up to 200, that's a bit confusing...maybe I'm just stupid.

Have you tried making attacking one more step?
For instance clicking one of my units, then clicking one of the enemy units could bring up both units stats so it's a bit
clearer what's about to happen before you attack.
This would also result in less accidental attacks.
I guess some people wouldn't like the extra step but it could be worth to try it out if you haven't before.

Mvh Simon
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Played through the first 3 missions. Enjoying it so far. Aside from what others have said about the text size...
1) I got a help pop up with no text. I'm not sure what it was for but there a bunch of green arrows. Re-supply maybe?
2) I'm not sure I like infantry being able to shoot at long range-especially using the sniper ability.
3) Are there no zones of control? In he third level I punched through the infantry guarding the bridge to the citadel and then moved my tank through the other two enemy units to take the VL. With ZOC my unit should have been forced to stop when it moved over a hex which bordered an enemy unit.

I'd like to see attack odds bonuses for flanking units (having more than one unit bordering the enemy hex while the attack is made by another unit.
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Is there no experience penalty for resupplying units? Also, I seem to be able to resupply my units even when next to enemy units.
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Well I wrote up a post and then lost it. I'll make this shirt and sweet. What I'd like to see:
*resupply confirmation dialogue
*reduced resupply or increased cost for resupply behind enemy lines or next to enemy units
*experience penalty for resupply
*less of a delay in counter attack animation
*improved and varied sound effects
*better music (I loved the Unity of Command stuff)
*change the combat dialogue results so that it matches the unit health numbers ( 12 health unit taking 140 damage)
*ZOC movement restrictions
imPsimon

Post by imPsimon »

I would like to see the attack range of a selected unit visually.
When I select a unit I see blue (or maybe grey? Can't remember) hexagons which show me where I can move.
Why not give the hexagons within attack range a red/orange tint or similar.

When I have moved a unit the icons in bottom left corner like apcr, suppress,ambush etc gets grayed out.
When they are grayed out I can't get up any info regarding the icon which is a bit annoying.
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

imPsimon wrote:I would like to see the attack range of a selected unit visually.
When I select a unit I see blue (or maybe grey? Can't remember) hexagons which show me where I can move.
Why not give the hexagons within attack range a red/orange tint or similar.

When I have moved a unit the icons in bottom left corner like apcr, suppress,ambush etc gets grayed out.
When they are grayed out I can't get up any info regarding the icon which is a bit annoying.
The red dotted line surrounding your unit displays the unit's attack range.
michaelws
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by michaelws »

After my first hour playing on the iPad Air all I can add is that it is really enjoyable. Everything I would comment on has already been addressed in the previous comments. Maybe when I have time to play some more I will have something unique to add. Until then...good job...very enjoyable.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Thank you! :)
We are working hard right now to address all the issues before the launch. We will post a changelog with all the improvements and tweaks.

Return to “iOS Beta”