Advice travel in Spain

Foro, Campos de Gloria para Jugadores de Habla Hispana.
(Spanish speaking Field of Glory Forum)

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, robertthebruce, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Advice travel in Spain

Post by zoltan »

Hi from New Zealand! I hope someone speaks English please. My wife and I are planning a holiday in Spain after Britcon this August and we would appreciate some expert advice on the best way to travel between Salamanca, Bilbao, La Rioja and Madrid. Can we get a train from Salamanca to Blibao or must we fly between Madrid and Bilbao?

Thank you for your help.
Stephen
karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Advice travel in Spain

Post by karakhanid »

Hi, the traveling between minor cities in Spain by train is not fast (unless they are linked by A.V.E.),I've seen that the travel Salamanca-Bilbao lasts 6:03 h, nor is cheap.Between major cities (Madrid,Barcelona,Bilbao,Valencia..) you can get low-cost flights that are cheaper and faster, and then rent a car to visit the places around the city.
Hope it helps
Mikel
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 »

Indeed I would add that buses are your best option, specially if travelling in the north and the trips are short. I would recommend you to set a tour so that you can go from one city to the other by bus. For example, La Rioja is on your way between Bilbao and Madrid and you have a bus both Bilbao - La Rioja and La Rioja - Madrid. Within autonomous communities there are always buses and that is a little bit more complicated when linking two smaller cities. For example, to go from Bilbao to Salamanca it is likely that you will have to stop in other city or look for a bus company that does that specific trip (thus fewer buses). Take that as an advantage to stop in a different worth visiting city to spend there a couple of hours, get to know it and keep your trip.

Here you have one of the bus companies that covers most of Norther Spain
http://www.alsa.es/en

In the other hand, I have to say that the real beauty of Northern Spain is its landscape, mountains, small beaches, lost places. Doing a whole trip in public transportation for watching them is not worth it, but going from one to another is really worth doing. And if you are into Medieval warfare, Castilla is not the land of castles for nothing!

PS: I would not advice to use the plane unless you are doing a bus trip of more than 4 hours. The price will increase too much and you will miss some interesting parts to visit.
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

Can anybody recommend any model soldier/wargames shops in Madrid please?

Thanks
Stephen
Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 »

zoltan wrote:Can anybody recommend any model soldier/wargames shops in Madrid please?

Thanks
Stephen
Certainly these two for historical miniatures are a must:
http://atlanticajuegos.com/ C/ Luna, 6 - 28004 Madrid metro Callao
http://www.laflechanegraminiaturas.com/ c/Elvira 1 - Madrid 28028 -tlf 91 5749254
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

Strategos69 wrote:
zoltan wrote:Can anybody recommend any model soldier/wargames shops in Madrid please?

Thanks
Stephen
Certainly these two for historical miniatures are a must:
http://atlanticajuegos.com/ C/ Luna, 6 - 28004 Madrid metro Callao
http://www.laflechanegraminiaturas.com/ c/Elvira 1 - Madrid 28028 -tlf 91 5749254
Muchas gracias!
Stephen
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

Thanks for all the suggestions on travelling in Spain. My wife and I are having fun eating and drinking our way through the country! Currently we are in Logrono and return to Madrid tomorrow. To see photos you can friend me on Facebook.

Muchas gracias!
Stephen
Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 »

I had skipped this one. I am glad you had a great time. Hopefully you will come back one day :wink:

Return to “Spanish Speaking Forum”