Additional translations policy

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Additional translations policy

Post by dmantione »

Hi!

Game ships with English and German... but the way it has been built it is just screaming for more languages :D So I started doing work on a Dutch translation am am progressing quickly. Now I would like to ask what the policy is regarding additional languages: Those files are copyright sensitive and I still remember when 15 years ago Infogrames sent their lawyers after fans who were working on translations of Civilization III :cry:

So can additional language files be published and is there a preferred method to so? Can we attach to forum posts, for example?
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: Additional translations policy

Post by SephiRok »

Yes, by all means, please do so. We not only don't object, but promote it.

You can attach it to a post or share however else you like. If it's of decent quality and you're willing to maintain it we could even add it to the base game -- we're doing this with the Italian translation for the next patch.

P.S. I suggest you use the beta version for translation since we always publish updates to the beta branch first.

Cheers,
Rok
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Sounds good. In that case, let inclusion in the base game be my goal. I am well experienced, for example I did a translation mod for Galactic Civilizations 2, so I should be able to produce a high quality translation. I will create a new thread and attach files as it progresses.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

I would actually really like to have a more streamlined and open process.

Can't think of anything better than a public github repos, so I put the latest language files up on: https://github.com/proxy-studios/pandora.

You can fork and then do a pull request when you're done. Easiest to use on windows is https://windows.github.com/.

Individual contributors could even submit a change directly through github.

This makes it a lot easier to manage updates and changes.

I also suggest to always use the English language files as a starting point, since that is those are the original and always the most up to date.

Let me know if that sounds reasonable.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

A repository is fine... I've used Subversion a lot so Git should be no big deal. But would it be possible to get a branch where intermediate results can be committed? Especially if there will be more people interrested this will be helpfull. One thing that may or not be an issue is that I am currently directly editing files in ~/.config/Proxy Studios/Pandora/Data, so I can playtest immedeately, don't know if this is possible with a Git checkout, I will try.

As to translating from English or German, it is simply a matter of practicality. Dutch and German texts can be very similar, for example:

German:
<entry name="OfferGift0" value="(bietet Geschenk an)"/>
<entry name="OfferNonAggressionPact" value="(bietet Nichtangriffspakt an)"/>
<entry name="OfferOpenBorders" value="(bietet offene Grenzen an)"/>
<entry name="OfferPeace" value="(bietet Frieden an)"/>

Dutch:
<entry name="OfferGift0" value="(biedt geschenk aan)"/>
<entry name="OfferNonAggressionPact" value="(biedt niet-aanvalsverdrag aan)"/>
<entry name="OfferOpenBorders" value="(biedt open grenzen aan)"/>
<entry name="OfferPeace" value="(biedt vrede aan)"/>

In this example, you can translate 1-on-1, and that means you can achieve a rather high translation speed. The disadvantage for me when translating from German, is that I more often need a dictionary to check the exact meaning of a word, so depending on the exact situation you have, translating from English may be more efficient. I see your point about ongoing changes, and this needs to be taken care of.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

You should be able to fork the repository on github, creating your own, then clone it where the game loads it up, modify and commit to your repos and once you're done issue a pull request to the repository I created.

The language files are a little bit newer than the current beta version, but it shouldn't be much. Will get a new beta version up soon as well.

Cheers,
Rok
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Okay, I think I have set everything up, my fork and work in progres is on-line at:

https://github.com/dmantione/pandora
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Sweet!

Barring issues, new beta version will be live today, so I'll update with latest tweaks afterwards.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Updated files to version 1.3.2. Added Steam achievements localization files as well.

Note to self: should make a sticky thread with some instructions.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Thanks! I am progressing well, I think I am about halfway. I am getting at a critical point now: I can play the game fully in Dutch, while there is still a huge pile of compendium text and diplomacy text to be translated. Working on achievements.xml at the moment, which is prograssing a bit slow because there are a lot of citations that need to be checked if there are standardized translations of them.
folexe
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by folexe »

I want to translate this game into Japanese.

However, I was not able to display Japanese with UFT-8 cord.

I want you to tell me if there is a method to Japanize.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

I'm sorry, we currently only support Latin and Cyrillic scripts.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
folexe

Post by folexe »

Thank you for an answer. I enjoy a game as it is.
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

What alphabets do you need? In particular, do you need Kanji? If I understand Sephirok's previous explanations of the game engine, any character supported consumes texture memory and increases the amount of video memory needed to play the game. Therefore I think support of Japanese Kanji characters is not realistic. On the other hand, the Hiragana and Katakani alphabets are compact enough to be supported by the game.

What you could do to help yourself, is to replace the DejaVuSans.ttf font, that you can find in the game installation directory under data/video/fonts/Plain, with a JIS X 0201 encoded font, i.e. Japanese Katakana characters in the place of the normal Latin-1 accented characters. This would give you access to Katakana, and allow you to start on a translation. If the translation is making progress, maybe it can be considered to add the Katakana Unicode characters to the font engine of the game.

Please also take a look at this thread, how Russians did the same trick, before the game supported cyrillic characters.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/287580/di ... 442086731/

Unfortunately... despite some activity, there seems to be little progress with a Russian translation. Definitely do not underestimate how much work it is to translate these files.

Return to “Pandora : Modders Corner”