Error While Running Dual Instances

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

jdmillard
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Error While Running Dual Instances

Post by jdmillard »

(during experimentation) While running two separate instances of the game I get this error... then the game is forced to close. Is there something I need to change to prevent this from happening?
Screenshot of Error Window
Screenshot of Error Window
error.png (11.22 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
Additional Information:
-Each instance is installed in completely separate locations and different file names for the main directory.
-The instances share the files contained in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Proxy Studios\Pandora\ ... This is by default. I don't know if this is the issue.
-It's hard to pinpoint when exactly this happens so I uploaded the log files. I don't know if each instance overwrites the logs each time so I don't know how helpful they are.
-No expansion, release version 1.4.2, not Steam.
-Windows 8 (kinda obvious)
-No modding done on these installations.
-This happened in the menus, so I have no saved games to contribute yet.

I've noticed that if one instance loads a game, the other instance cannot load any game in that folder. So I'm thinking that AppData sharing is what causes the instances to clash with eachother. Is there a way to let each instance have it's own directory in AppData? If this isn't the issue, what could cause this? Any help is much appreciated.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Contains All the Log Files
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: Error While Running Dual Instances

Post by SephiRok »

It seems you're hosting or loading a game with Eclipse of Nashira, but clients with the error do not have Eclipse of Nashira.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

Both instances were started using "Pandora First Contact Release"

I also find it difficult to duplicate the error. I've seen it a couple times recently, but I cannot pinpoint what situation causes it. But I can say that the situation about not being able to load games always happens. If one instance loads a game, the other instance gets locked out of the entire AppData directory and it's not able to load a saved game or start a new one. But when this happens, the game does not crash. So this may be two separate issues... I don't know.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

I also suggest you disable auto-saving; that can cause issues.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

I'll try that and get back to you.

---
So I'm guessing the AppData path is hardcoded in the software? with no way to edit? It would be nice to customize something like this:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Proxy Studios\Pandora\
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Proxy Studios\PandoraSecondInstance\

Sure, the instances would not be able to access each other's settings or saved games, but it would allow each instance to run completely parallel.
jdmillard

Post by jdmillard »

I kept getting this error and so did my friends. Since they were getting it as well, I figured that it had nothing to do with dual instances. Plus, I was getting it even when I ran a single instance. Eventually, I had the idea to launch the game in EoN mode to download all the content (even though I didn't have a key yet), then switch back to release. This seemed to fix the issue.

Perhaps to prevent this error in the future, a dummy file could be part of the release version to trick the game into thinking it sees the diplomatic faction thus preventing the exception error.

Anyways... Issue resolved. I hope this helps.

Return to “Pandora : Tech Support”