Game Still Crashing

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

GA01
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Game Still Crashing

Post by GA01 »

I had previously submitted a tech support "crashing" problem with the steam version of the game. This is the link to that post:
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=52722

I thought I had solved the problem by installing and using the non-steam (slitherine) version, however, today upon my first chance to do some serious gaming in a while it is doing the same thing it previously did (crashing at various times soon after starting a new game).

I have zipped and attached all the files I think you need

Thank you
Attachments
new pandora.zip
(211.8 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Game Still Crashing

Post by VPaulus »

Please try the approach suggested by the developers in the sticky thread regarding running background applications:

Background Applications
Any applications running in the background may negatively affect Pandora. Certain applications can lead to more serious issues such as limited connectivity and game crashes. It is highly recommended that you close all background applications before launching Pandora to ensure the best performance and stability. After you are done playing, feel free to re-enable these applications.

Some applications may load when the operating system starts and are not obviously indicated. For example, they may not appear in the task bar but they may be among some of your active processes or services, using your system's resources. These programs may cause crashes and other difficulties when playing Pandora.

Please see Closing Background Applications below for instructions on disabling non-essential background programs and preventing background applications from silently loading when Windows starts.

Security Applications
Antivirus and firewall software play an important role in your computer security. They help protect your computer from viruses, malware and spyware infections. However, when protecting your computer, they can prevent legitimate programs, like Pandora, from installing, updating or running. Adding exceptions for Pandora executables or disabling your security software can help resolve these conflicts.

Note: Some security programs will continue to partially run even when disabled. They may require full uninstallation or reconfiguration to resolve.

If you are not comfortable configuring or uninstalling your security software, please contact your security software's technical support department for assistance. They may also be able to help you configure their product to not interfere with future game installation and patching. Most products have in-software or web forms for reporting false positives.

Closing Background Applications (Windows)
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications
GA01

Post by GA01 »

I set up exclusions with my anti-virus and firewall program (Bit Defender). I also disabled all non-essential start up programs. The game played longer before crashing (15-20 turns?). However, in the end it did the same thing; to try and explain it more clearly, I start a game and very early into it (its extremely rare fore me to be able to play ten turns) the game will go from full screen mode and minimize itself to the task bar and it will not re-open to full screen again (it still running I can even hear its sound track but it will not go back to full screen). According to task manager the program is "running" then "not responding" in a very fast continuous loop.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please try in Windowed mode.
GA01

Post by GA01 »

Its worse. The game does not minimize itself to the task bar as before, it stays in windowed mode, but it "locks up" instantly upon loading/starting game. Of note, I can't play any game in windowed mode because if I do the screen "flickers" constantly and the programs (as does yours) often locks up. It was not always this way but I noticed this start occurring about a 1+- year ago. I have no idea what causes the "flickering" or how to solve it but its not a problem when I run programs in full screen.

A thought, I'm running directx 11 would "rolling" it back to directx 10 be helpfull.
Tac2i
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Tac2i »

Don't think this would help. It should be fully backward compatible.
Fighting_Mad wrote: A thought, I'm running directx 11 would "rolling" it back to directx 10 be helpfull.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

The game uses OpenGL not DirectX. So the issue is not related DirectX...
Are you experiencing issues with other games? Crashes, freezes...
GA01

Post by GA01 »

VPaulus wrote:The game uses OpenGL not DirectX. So the issue is not related DirectX...
Are you experiencing issues with other games? Crashes, freezes...
I do currently have the same problem with Endless Legend. I even have a open tech support ticket with them concerning it. I was hoping one of you two would solve the "problem" so that both games would work. So far they asked a question, I replied yet have heard nothing back since then.

Other than Pandora and Endless Legend my other games run fine.

Edit: I did think of one other game. Tales of Maj'Eyal; After the first start up (first time installation) of the game the game installed in a windowed mode and the screen would "flicker" constantly. After changing the game's video settings to full screen I've not had a problem. This was the first time I become aware that my computer does not like to run games in windowed mode. It was never a problem with me before or since because I prefer playing games in full screen.

Now that I think about it TOME also uses OpenGL. Endless Legend uses Unity game engine (not sure about OpenGl).
https://unity3d.com/showcase/case-stori ... ess-legend
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Unity works with DirectX.
How have you been updating the graphic card drivers... installing over, one version after another? Have you ever completely uninstalled them?
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Everyone is confusing DirectX with Direct3D here. For 3D rendering one can choose between Direct3D and OpenGL. But OpenGL needs a surface to draw on. On Windows this surface is provided by DirectDraw. As the game also may want to play audio it will also use DirectSound. Moral of the story: OpenGL games use DirectX and thus the version of DirectX installed may play a role in support issues.
GA01

Post by GA01 »

VPaulus wrote:Unity works with DirectX.
How have you been updating the graphic card drivers... installing over, one version after another? Have you ever completely uninstalled them?
I did a "clean" install of the latest video driver and it still minimizes to the task bar. I'm perplexed and can think of nothing else to try with this computer. I'll install it on my other non-gaming computer. The requirements are not high for this game so it should not be a problem. I won't be able to get to it until this weekend so I'll e-mail you on Monday with the results. Thank you for your help.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

dmantione wrote:Everyone is confusing DirectX with Direct3D here. For 3D rendering one can choose between Direct3D and OpenGL. But OpenGL needs a surface to draw on. On Windows this surface is provided by DirectDraw. As the game also may want to play audio it will also use DirectSound. Moral of the story: OpenGL games use DirectX and thus the version of DirectX installed may play a role in support issues.
That's true, however Pandora doesn't use any DirectX API.

Fighting_Mad wrote:I did a "clean" install of the latest video driver and it still minimizes to the task bar. I'm perplexed and can think of nothing else to try with this computer. I'll install it on my other non-gaming computer. The requirements are not high for this game so it should not be a problem. I won't be able to get to it until this weekend so I'll e-mail you on Monday with the results. Thank you for your help.
Have you considered rolling back to an older graphic driver?
Usually Nvidia and ATI stop supporting the older cards, a couple of years after having release them. It wouldn't be the first time that newer drivers wouldn't be working well with older cards.
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Well.... I read the thread back, I read the original thread... is there any indication the graphics subsystem is at fault at all? I would want to know where the crash happens, i.e. inside the graphics subsystem or somewhere else. In older versions there was a problem report on an application crash that you could look at, don't know if this still is the case in newer versions?
GA01

Post by GA01 »

VPaulus wrote:
dmantione wrote:Everyone is confusing DirectX with Direct3D here. For 3D rendering one can choose between Direct3D and OpenGL. But OpenGL needs a surface to draw on. On Windows this surface is provided by DirectDraw. As the game also may want to play audio it will also use DirectSound. Moral of the story: OpenGL games use DirectX and thus the version of DirectX installed may play a role in support issues.
That's true, however Pandora doesn't use any DirectX API.

Fighting_Mad wrote:I did a "clean" install of the latest video driver and it still minimizes to the task bar. I'm perplexed and can think of nothing else to try with this computer. I'll install it on my other non-gaming computer. The requirements are not high for this game so it should not be a problem. I won't be able to get to it until this weekend so I'll e-mail you on Monday with the results. Thank you for your help.
Have you considered rolling back to an older graphic driver?
Usually Nvidia and ATI stop supporting the older cards, a couple of years after having release them. It wouldn't be the first time that newer drivers wouldn't be working well with older cards.
I did a clean install of the original video driver which came with the machine but the game still crashes. To be honest I prefer how the machine runs with the older driver over the newer: the card seemed to "labor" more with the newer driver. On my "to do" list was to wipe this computer clean (including registry) and re-install currently needed/desired programs because I've added/deleted so my crap on this machine over the years. Let me close this ticket for now until I "clean" my computer and the re-install Pandora.

One last question/recommendation if you don't mind; what's the is the best way to "clean" a computer before re-installing the operating system? I'm mainly trying to get a clean registry because as I mentioned previously I've added/deleted so many games/programs over the years.

Thanks
GA01

Post by GA01 »

dmantione wrote:Well.... I read the thread back, I read the original thread... is there any indication the graphics subsystem is at fault at all? I would want to know where the crash happens, i.e. inside the graphics subsystem or somewhere else. In older versions there was a problem report on an application crash that you could look at, don't know if this still is the case in newer versions?
To be honest I'm not extremely tech savvy. I know computer basics but once again to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about or where I would look. Thank you for your input and I apologize that it is way beyond my knowledge.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Fighting_Mad wrote:One last question/recommendation if you don't mind; what's the is the best way to "clean" a computer before re-installing the operating system? I'm mainly trying to get a clean registry because as I mentioned previously I've added/deleted so many games/programs over the years.

Thanks
I suggest you to perform a clean Windows installation. That will delete all the files in the Windows partition.
Before doing that, make sure that you backup all your data files (docs, photos, etc). Please also note that you'll have to reinstall all the programs again.

In case you want to do it by yourself, the webpage below indicates how to perform a clean Windows installation:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operating ... part-1.htm
GA01

Post by GA01 »

VPaulus wrote:
Fighting_Mad wrote:One last question/recommendation if you don't mind; what's the is the best way to "clean" a computer before re-installing the operating system? I'm mainly trying to get a clean registry because as I mentioned previously I've added/deleted so many games/programs over the years.

Thanks
I suggest you to perform a clean Windows installation. That will delete all the files in the Windows partition.
Before doing that, make sure that you backup all your data files (docs, photos, etc). Please also note that you'll have to reinstall all the programs again.

In case you want to do it by yourself, the webpage below indicates how to perform a clean Windows installation:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operating ... part-1.htm
Thanks for the reply and link. Sorry we could not figure out the problem with Pandora but I really do think that it will work fine after a clean install of windows.

Thanks again for your help and have a good day.

Return to “Pandora : Tech Support”