Failure loop

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

DaveyJ576
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Failure loop

Post by DaveyJ576 »

It is 4th quarter 1964 and I am attempting to run a Gemini EVA mission. This mission has ended in catastrophic failure 8 TIMES IN A ROW, despite having Titan II reliability at 94.1, Gemini at 97.7, and EVA suits at 82.9. All flight controllers were the highest rated that I have, and the astronauts both had high ratings. The mission would fail each time at reentry, even when I hired 3 Tiger teams that boosted that phase up to 82.5. After the 8th failure, I reloaded it once more and altered the mission to a Duration II EVA, thinking the different mission would break the cycle. This time it failed catastrophically at the EVA phase! I finally went back and reloaded once more and scrubbed the mission.

This is dumb and really frustrating. It seems as if the game is determined to fail you and nothing you can do will get around it. This has to be a flaw in the probability calculations or somewhere in the programming.
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Re: Failure loop

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Dave,

Notice that if you reload a savefile over and over you'll always get the same result. That's because the game stores the information from the pseudo-random number generator inside the savefile. If you want to get different results, open up the savefile, look for the 'SPMRandom' node and change either its 'RandomSeed' or 'RandomUsageCounter' attributes (or both).

This is what the 'SPMRandom' node looks like:

<SPMRandom RandomSeed="798" RandomUsageCounter="757459" />

In any case, feel free to upload your savefile so that I can take a quick look at it. The simulation code is quite straightforward, but there might be a glitch.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter
KyleS
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KyleS »

Load the game.
Cancel the mission.
Change ONE thing about the mission - the rocket used, one of the flight controllers or nauts, anything.
Now the system will generate a new bunch of random numbers for the mission.
Alternately, cancel the mission and try again in the next turn.

Failing that, accept the failure and move on. The real-world space programmes had plenty of failures, some of them catastrophic. They couldn't go back to a saved game, they had to make the best of it.
DaveyJ576

Post by DaveyJ576 »

Nacho84,

Where do I find the savefiles?
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Davey,

You can find them on c:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\LocalLow\MatrixGames\BASPM.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Early Access Beta Forum”