[SUGGESTION] Unlocking missions

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

[SUGGESTION] Unlocking missions

Post by krgu48 »

Hi. A suggestion for unlocking the mission. For now, it is so that all the mission in the few programs are unlocked (aka Earth Orbiting Satellites Research). For me, it's a little weird. It was nice to that missions Pegasus, Biosatellites were to unlocked only after the success of the Sputnik, Explorer missions. The same is for missions of the lunar program. Success Lunar Flyby mission would open Lunar Inpactor missions which in turn would open Lunar Lander missions.

I understand that this is a sandbox - but it would be nice to be able to set that configuration before the start of game.
I hope you understand what I mean :P
HTower
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: [SUGGESTION] Unlocking missions

Post by HTower »

krgu48 wrote:Hi. A suggestion for unlocking the mission. For now, it is so that all the mission in the few programs are unlocked (aka Earth Orbiting Satellites Research). For me, it's a little weird. It was nice to that missions Pegasus, Biosatellites were to unlocked only after the success of the Sputnik, Explorer missions. The same is for missions of the lunar program. Success Lunar Flyby mission would open Lunar Inpactor missions which in turn would open Lunar Lander missions.

I understand that this is a sandbox - but it would be nice to be able to set that configuration before the start of game.
I hope you understand what I mean :P
Interesting, I've seen others ask for it the opposite, they want more freedom in which missions they can attempt. From what I have seen from responses by the team here on the forum, it is planned(possibly already implemented?) that there are penalties built in to the research and mission success rolls for skipping some of the projects.
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by krgu48 »

I have nothing against greater freedom in the choice of the mission, I would only have the ability to configure the sandbox before the start of the game. Just some weird looks situation: I made Lunar Landing mission and several Lunar Inpactor missions and finally sent a Lunar Flyby probe :P - just to unlock the Luna 15 mision.( I first reached goals level III, then level II and finaly level I :P)

Developers could do the configuration window for sandbox where players can configure the game to their preference. (aka option unlock all programs, option restrictive unlock of programs.)
Last edited by krgu48 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by krgu48 »

Hi everyone :)

I prepared the path to unlock the missions. It's just a suggestion, but I'm curious what you think about it. As you will have some time please look at what I prepared :). I'm curious about your opinion.
Suggestion.jpg
Suggestion.jpg (249.86 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Last edited by krgu48 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N_Molson
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by N_Molson »

There is another way to do it and that's already partially implemented : hardware safety penalties when you don't achieve the previous steps. That's the way it worked in BARIS. Technology transfers are the other very important parameter. In BARIS you could decide from the start to send orbital satellites just to avoid being fired, and stockpile money to open and develop the best programs. But that isn't a very good strategy, because you miss prestige that earns a lot of money, and above all, you have to face huge R&D costs which leads to a very long R&D process, even if you had only 2 components to develop (the fictional Nova/Jupiter combo). And since you put all your eggs in the same basket, a single failure meant game over.
Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by krgu48 »

N_Molson wrote:There is another way to do it and that's already partially implemented : hardware safety penalties when you don't achieve the previous steps. That's the way it worked in BARIS. Technology transfers are the other very important parameter. In BARIS you could decide from the start to send orbital satellites just to avoid being fired, and stockpile money to open and develop the best programs. But that isn't a very good strategy, because you miss prestige that earns a lot of money, and above all, you have to face huge R&D costs which leads to a very long R&D process, even if you had only 2 components to develop (the fictional Nova/Jupiter combo). And since you put all your eggs in the same basket, a single failure meant game over.
Yes, you are right, but it was less mission in BARIS (if I remember correctly there were 57 types of missions included). And to send flyprobe the planet it had to be in position to Earth (not every season could be done planetary missions). So remember how I tried to skip one manned, two manned missions and docking mission to land on the moon immediately. However BASPM is a little different, for example, you do not make Mercury Mission as you perform all the flights the X-15. So it is with Luna 15 Lander Mision. I only propose to expand this idea (I just like to play a more historically and logically). And as I wrote earlier I have nothing against greater freedom in choosing mission. I know the sandbox ;) but I would like to have more greater configuration before start the game. (aka option to play with more restricted missions).

Ohh If you look of my proposed path opening Mercury Mission, it should be active already after the second start of the X-15, however, if a player had the courage to start this mission (without third flight X-15), then the player should get negative points in carrying out of the Mercury Mision. Unfortunately I don't posted tracks that have an impact on the success of the mission. I put only the path of their opening.

Oh, and as you described BARIS - for me this game enforces to player history approach. Only in the final phase of the game gave more freedom - the different choice of the land on the moon (When there was a lot of money and prestige).

I edited the paths - added the paths that affect the success of the mission.

On the other hand (as you wrote) could be open all the programs from the very beginning - rearrange the cost of all programs and testing the balance of the game, so that everything would be logical and forced a historical approach. But I'm sure that would be went also to a strange situation: done 2 Lunar Lander Missions and need to do Lunar Inpactor Mission to raise the prestige - unless the outdated missions will be blocked. I think unlocking missions is easier to implement.

After all, not everything has to be such as in BARIS.
NASAIsAwesome
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NASAIsAwesome »

I personally believe that if you perform the Mercury Missions without X-15, there should be a much higher opening cost (For example, from $525 to $1900), slower R&D Progression (40% than if the X-15 already happened), along with a reliablty penalization (89% on flight would go down to 79% when launching. But should they launch successfully and do a successful flight, there should be a increase in the Prestige refueled (For example, 5% more than if it happened without the X-15), along with a increase in scientist morale and skill.

It's from a real life standpoint. If we just did Apollo, and up and went to the moon in 1965, wouldn't it be much, much less reliable and with slow development, but with more prestige?
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by krgu48 »

NASAIsAwesome wrote:I personally believe that if you perform the Mercury Missions without X-15, there should be a much higher opening cost (For example, from $525 to $1900)
So you could change the cost of programs - but that would require a rebuild balance of gameplay. (A lot, a lot of work - but the concept ​​the most good :) )
Besides unlocking missions has one more drawback - player has little missions, and only a few gameplay paths. If the missions was more, maybe it would not be so noticeable. I'm curious what ideas developers choose when the game will be close to completion.

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Early Access Beta Forum”