New DLC's and console

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

jbird56
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

New DLC's and console

Post by jbird56 »

Any help with these 2 questions would be appreciated. First, maybe I'm missing something here. Going through all the numerous DLC's for the best wargame available in my opinion, OOB, they seem to cover almost every theatre of operation. But I cannot find one that covers what is considered one of the most important phases of WWII. D-Day and the Normandy invasion from the American/Allies perspective. Maybe I missed it somewhere. If so any help would be appreciated, but if not, how can this be?
Secondly, weren't we asked for "patience" on the console development a month ago??
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: New DLC's and console

Post by bru888 »

I believe there is - at least there has been talk of - a Liberation Trilogy as a concept for future official DLC but, as you may have noticed, the current DLC under development is Red Star, a campaign from the Soviet perspective. So, no, you have not missed anything.

There are a number of amateur campaigns and scenarios dealing with American forces in Europe available in the Scenario Design forum, most of which are quite good. As far as D-Day and Normandy goes, there was a scenario that terminator (one of our forum members) was developing, as discussed in this thread:
Beaches of Normandy

It doesn't look like he ever actually finished it to his satisfaction - in various posts, he still has links to two Alpha and two Beta versions but no final link and announcement - but from the favorable comments he received during development, it may be well worth looking at. Some of what he was trying to do looked quite complicated and designing a single-player scenario of player vs. AI can be difficult in general but from what I have seen of Beaches of Normandy, I have taken an interest in it myself.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Actually, it looks like terminator started out with a campaign in mind, or a jumbo scenario (see his first few screenshots), hence the title "Beaches of Normandy." However, he ended up zooming in and concentrating on one beach, Omaha, and left it at that. I just looked through the Beta 2 version, the latest and most polished, and I must say that it looks quite interesting.
- Bru
jbird56

Post by jbird56 »

Yeah, thanks. I just feel that a Western Allies Normandy Campaign with an emphasis on the Stars and Stripes would be the bellwether DLC for OOB. I just don't understand how you make a WWII game covering campaigns all over the globe and leave out one of the most important, if not the most important military campaign in history. Although undoubtedly a challenge for the Dev team, looking at new and old campaigns, I'm sure it is within their capabilities to pull it off. I know Red Star is the deal right now, but as good Dev teams do, I'm sure they're looking ahead. I can only hope and wait.....
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I'd be very surprised if no US/Britain western Europe campaign failed to make an appearance.
I'm happy that the concentrate on a Soviet campaign first, as there are not too many of those floating around.
But it would probably be wise to let another designer start work on a US campaign. The space between recent campaigns have been rather longish.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

jbird56 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:16 pm Yeah, thanks. I just feel that a Western Allies Normandy Campaign with an emphasis on the Stars and Stripes would be the bellwether DLC for OOB. I just don't understand how you make a WWII game covering campaigns all over the globe and leave out one of the most important, if not the most important military campaign in history. Although undoubtedly a challenge for the Dev team, looking at new and old campaigns, I'm sure it is within their capabilities to pull it off. I know Red Star is the deal right now, but as good Dev teams do, I'm sure they're looking ahead. I can only hope and wait.....
Are you an American like me? Because, if so, you would naturally feel the way that you do. I, too, am looking for some more U.S. action; the last was U.S. Marines and that was quite a while ago.

Yet, it has been refreshing and interesting to play from the Axis side (and the Finns in Winter War and the British in Burma Road), I must say. Surprisingly so; it's like I can temporarily forget what side I am playing and just concentrate on defeating the enemy, no matter who they are.

Europeans develop OOB and as a matter of course I would expect them to feature other nations for gameplay rather than concentrating on the United States. I have welcomed that, and I welcome Red Star now.

But I would definitely prefer, once the USSR trilogy is over, to see a new American (or British) campaign over another German-played DLC.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

jbird56 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am Secondly, weren't we asked for "patience" on the console development a month ago??
We have not talked about this so far in this thread. Basically, we have to have patience; we forum moderators are not told anything - not that we expect it - so all we know is what we all read when one of the developers comes to the forums with news and that is quite seldom.

The concern about console play, unless you are really into that sort of thing (count me out), is whether it will affect the computer game. Dumb it down in some fashion, so to speak.

So it was quite jarring to find that, simultaneous with the announcement of console play, there was an immediate problem with unit imagery in the last patch (and still ongoing but one of the testers has reported it was fixed in beta). A few forum members speculated that the developers had begun working on console play to the detriment of computer play in this regard. Of course, nobody came forward to explain the issue so the speculation, and the concern, remains.

That's as much as I know, probably Erik as well. To quote Yoda (which, had he said it in the proper sequence, would be far less memorable): "Patience you must have." :)

Yoda-1-696x464.jpg
Yoda-1-696x464.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
- Bru
jbird56

Post by jbird56 »

Yeah, thanks Bru. And yes, I am an American. I DO have an appreciation for all the different DLC's covering different theatres (I own most of them). I like the unique challenges that come with differing armies and nations. But American or not, to me personally, the Dev's are doing themselves, their game, and their loyal customers a disservice by not prioritizing the greatest invasion and campaign of WWII. And as far as console, I do not own one but know people who do and would like to play OOB.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”