Best use of engineers

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Best use of engineers

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:32 am Almost completely forgot about it:

That was my solution to the "order of attack/battle": :wink:
Thanks for coming back to this. :)

Is it 100% sure the enemy won't retreat two hexes when the third unit attacks? It is just that sometimes a two hex retreat (through the attacker's zoc but not ending to it) happens even though I thought it wouldn't.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

CoolDTA wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am Is it 100% sure the enemy won't retreat two hexes when the third unit attacks? It is just that sometimes a two hex retreat (through the attacker's zoc but not ending to it) happens even though I thought it wouldn't.
I don't think there's anything I would say is 100% certain, and esp. if I didn't do it myself :wink:

But I'm pretty sure (97.5 - 99 % :P ) those rules apply when retreating:

1) unit can't retreat through enemy units
2) unit can not enter hexes that are not owned by them, and a retreating unit can not capture new hexes
3) some movement/speed/ZOC rules don't apply exactly, as I've seen retreating units going through river banks in rare cases
4) a unit can not retreat to the hexes adjacent to the attacking enemy unit
5) for unsupplied/no-capture (e.g. recon) units rule 2) does not apply

In the provided example there's only one "corridor" for the enemy to retreat and following rule 1) and 4), retreat is only possible when the units B, C, or D attack. And yes, then the infantry could move even two (or more?) hexes away.
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

I agree with the rules, but it seems in same rare cases a unit does retreat through the hexes adjacent to the attacking enemy unit as long as it doesn't end up in one (= retreat of two hexes). It is more than possible I remember it wrong :oops: , but I'll keep on eye on it should the thing ever happen again.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

CoolDTA wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm I agree with the rules, but it seems in same rare cases a unit does retreat through the hexes adjacent to the attacking enemy unit as long as it doesn't end up in one (= retreat of two hexes). It is more than possible I remember it wrong :oops: , but I'll keep on eye on it should the thing ever happen again.
Actually that point would have the lowest "are you sure"-percentage with me, too. Playing stock campaigns, I did not need to worry about such things, and only began after starting to play Erik's stuff again. I'll keep an eye on it, too

Those neverending repairs can be really annoying sometimes, chasing some no-efficiency infantry over half a dozen of difficult terrain or mountain hexes before they're ready to die finally. And then my unit has to return from wherever it is, too... :roll:
It's better to make it quick and dirty. :twisted:
And if everything else fails, Stukas are perfect for finishing-off units. Precision strike them out of their existence. Arty and Stukas, nothing's better to deal with infantry on mountains.
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Anything with Precision Strike is probably the best method because just like you said ground units would be out of commission for a long time when hunting such a straggler.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”