IS OOB really and truely dead?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

IS OOB really and truely dead?

Post by kverdon »

Endsiege has been out for over a month now, released with game killing bugs (the campaign dates of 45 vrs 1945) are just one example and we still have yet to see a patch to fix them? These and the other database bugs are simple fixes that have yet to be addressed. The lack of attention to these either points to a "I don't give damn" by either the dev's or Slitherine. Have they decided to not spend any more funds to fix the issues? (This would not be the first time for Slitherine/Matrix release) or have they decided that the series has run it's course and it is time to focus on something else like Panzer Corps 2? The lack of resolution to the issues in Endsiege are rather unforgivable.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: IS OOB really and truely dead?

Post by Erik2 »

No, you are totally wrong. It looks like you have not bothered to look at the threads in the Tech Support Forum.

A bug/issue/request database has been established and 90+ issues has been added by voluntering players. About half of the reported issues have been resolved in a beta patch currently being tested by these players. There will probably be another beta before the patch is released.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I apppreciate the interest voiced in the OP, but beyond that it's like Erik said. The game has not been abandoned and is not dead at all.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Agree with Erik and bebro. I cant really play a lot right now (not even thinking about testing because it is just too much), but this game is most definitely not dead. I know next to nothing about software development but I am still kind of stunned how complex this game has gotten over sooo many DLCs. That's why patches take so long. You can basically finish a DLC in a few days but it takes month to plan, design and test it. It's just a reality of this business, I guess.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

I bought myself Sandstorm and Endsieg for Christmas and they seem basically okay , but if I can throw a gripe into the playpen I'd say most scenarios are far too big and long.
In fact that's my main criticism of all the other OOB's DLC's too, as playing them is like wading through mud.
At the moment I'm trying to learn the scenario editor so I can prune them down a bit or create my own short sharp exciting scenarios.
One more thing- I'm a bit fed up playing WW2 all the time, so I wish the OOB devs would produce DLC's to cover Nam, Arab-Israeli Wars, Op Desert Storm, Russia vs Ukraine etc or even WW1, American Civil War, Ancient etc, my cash is waiting..:)

PS- I never play campaigns in OOB or any other game because I find them boring, so I wish devs would release games without a campaign rather than spend months working to include a campaign that me and many other people don't want anyway.
For example Panzer Corps 2 has been under development for 22 months and a dev has just admitted in the PC2 thread that developing the campaign for it is what's delaying its release, so I've suggested to him that a campaign could be released separately as a DLC for those who want it.
Armored Brigade was released last year without a campaign and is selling well, I rest my case...:)
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm I bought myself Sandstorm and Endsieg for Christmas and they seem basically okay , but if I can throw a gripe into the playpen I'd say most scenarios are far too big and long.
In fact that's my main criticism of all the other OOB's DLC's too, as playing them is like wading through mud.
At the moment I'm trying to learn the scenario editor so I can prune them down a bit or create my own short sharp exciting scenarios.
One more thing- I'm a bit fed up playing WW2 all the time, so I wish the OOB devs would produce DLC's to cover Nam, Arab-Israeli Wars, Op Desert Storm, Russia vs Ukraine etc or even WW1, American Civil War, Ancient etc, my cash is waiting..:)

PS- I never play campaigns in OOB or any other game because I find them boring, so I wish devs would release games without a campaign rather than spend months working to include a campaign that me and many other people don't want anyway.
For example Panzer Corps 2 has been under development for 22 months and a dev has just admitted in the PC2 thread that developing the campaign for it is what's delaying its release, so I've suggested to him that a campaign could be released separately as a DLC for those who want it.
Armored Brigade was released last year without a campaign and is selling well, I rest my case...:)
Order of Battle: World War II
with built PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS :lol: :lol: :lol:
R_TEAM
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by R_TEAM »

would suggest to the patches - a sensefull map viewer interface ...
Actual - the map is not scrollable, not zoomable and lack anything from get fast and easy infos out of it ... (toggleable markers and with with alternate colors if the marker color match to close the underground color as example ...)
Specialy on downloadable scenarious, the maps particular dont fit right or are simply to large to make sense without scrolling/zooming...

Regards
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Re the map.

It is (of course) scrollable, I prefer to use the arrow up/down/left/right for fast scrolling

You can zoom in/out using the mouse wheel. If you have a high-resolution monitor you may want to edit the min/max zoom factor like I did.
(I had to resample the jpg 50% to be able to place them inline in the post).
map out.jpg
map out.jpg (545.76 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
map in.jpg
map in.jpg (409.43 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
[attachment=0]
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm I bought myself Sandstorm and Endsieg for Christmas and they seem basically okay , but if I can throw a gripe into the playpen I'd say most scenarios are far too big and long.

I would never buy a DLC without a campaign and are nowhere near fed up with WW2.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Remember that the base game is free, so the only way (so far) for the devs to earn something on this series is to publish DLCs.
I would guess we would at least get a Soviet, American (West front) and British (West front) DLC before OOB branches out to other time periods.
R_TEAM

Post by R_TEAM »

@ Erik2

sorry - i was not clear :)
The problem is the Strategic Map (btw- what you show and name "map" would i name playfield ....)
many loadable scenarios dont fit right the "Strategic Map" or so large, you dont see anything clear ... and so useless...

And for the "map" (or playfield..)
This is nice - but still room to improvements ....
As you wrote - configurable zoom levels (not only in config file with text editor ...)
I think it is "full" 3D - so why not swiveling ? Many good strategic games have at last the option to "switch the side of view" to view the "playfield" from another perpective ... on an full 3D game this should be more easy as on an 2D Iso game ...

Regards
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

I concur with Erik. I'd very much like to see a Soviet v AI series of campaigns the same depth as the German v AI. Also, western front and Italian campaigns from the Allied perspective.

I think the game is better than any other on the market, despite its flaws which are openly discussed here. Panzer Corps was too much of a mishmash with no front lines or supply (at least to my poor recollection), and Unity of Command was too strategic in scope, no real artillery, and has uninteresting Air combat (and no Naval combat, which is okay by me anyway). OoB hits the sweet spot for both and has its own admirable characteristics (great graphics, creative scenarios) that I find very appealing.

I wish there was a way OoB players could purchase reinforcing enhancements similar to UoC. It would be nice to spike up an infantry unit's anti-armor capability or give an armor unit some anti-air capability, as examples. OoB can already add transport and commanders. It would have to be expensive in terms of Command and Resource points to make it work properly.

conboy
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

"IS OOB really and truely dead?"

I hope not. I think it's an entertaining and very moddable game that I love. And it seems not to want to die either. :wink:

But the question is valid nonetheless, as to the future of OoB. Just some new, but in the end ordinary and common couple of new DLCs to look forward to? I think it's time for OoB to move forward, too, maybe experiment with something drastically new - without breaking the old content, of course. OoB 2?

In the meantime, let's see what the PanzerCorps 2 release may add to the genre.

I've played through "Mutant Year Zero" the last couple of days. It has X-Com mechanics in general, looking real good. Although a very interesting and challenging game in the beginning (for people like me, at least, who rush in the fight without patience :wink: ), after figuring out the required tactics, it became somewhat quite easy. It has probably one of the stupidest AI's I've ever met (which is concealed by extremely overstrength enemy units in high numbers), and it's using very simple rules and calculations. It was still fun, but games like this have absolutely no replayablity value for me. There's zero "stimulus" to replay the game a second time. In total contrast to OoB or the X-Com genre. It's hard to know what players may or may not like in a game in the end.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Please keep making WW2 dlcs. The scenarios in the OOB campaigns tend to be large and interesting which is good. There could never be too much of World war 2.
There is another very good WW2 game I recommend for everyone called "Making History: The Second World War"

I like Panzercorps and haven't even played some of the campaigns yet like Sea Lion and Russian campaigns and what not, so I can wait a couple more years for the second one to to be completed and there are still a lot of OOB dlcs to play too.
And I would never buy a game without a campaign included cause that's what I buy games for is the campaign aspect cause I don't like multiplayer games.
Sorry I just had to insert my unsolicited and largely unwanted perspective on this topic and thus muddy the thread somewhat in the process.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

While I will admit that among the tarnish and lack of craftmanship there is a decent game in OOB, recent releases and the lack of at least an interim patch since Endsiege, and its release 3 months ago with the DLC killing bugs, are a legitimate concern. OOB has exhibited a pattern of lack of development and lack of testing that leads to a rather failed released product with their recent releases. OOB Endsiege has legitimate game killing bugs in the basic database files with mistypes dates, etc, that could have been an easy interim patch had the developers or the publishers been willing to do so. This points to a scenario that I have often seen when a publisher has decided to sunset a title. Development is cut short and the developer is paid for just one last patch to make everything right. This seems applicable here. How hard would it have been to have just released an interim patch to fix the date bugs with the scenarios and the specializations? But we have seen nothing. This points to the "one patch and done scenario". It is lamentable that another Slithering product will slip beneath the waves due to flaws in its programming and support. Just looks at the Frontline Series or Heroes of Normandy where major bugs were just left uncorrected and the customers left with an really flawed product that will never be fixed. I lay the blame equally on the devs and the publishers. Had the devs done things correctly the customers would not have been saddled with a buggy product and the publishers lack on commitment means that the customers get the sort end of the stick. We seem down that road on OOB. I really don't understand it. Had I written something with the glaring date issues that Endsiege had, I would have had at least a moral obligation to correct it, even on my own dime. Fortunately I have the skill to edit out the issues but I see that, understandably others do not and are frustrated. Yet we are led to believe this is "Ok". It points to an scenario where the publishers had decided to cut their losses and move on to their next shiny toy "Panzer Corps 2".
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, that's basically the same as in the OP, just in a more long-winded way.

Given that it's already been posted that a patch is being made I may refer you back to the first reply in this thread. I'm sorry if you think it's taking too long, but complaing about the lack of a quick patch but then arguing there is not enough testing does not go together.

The rest of your post is assumptions a la " sunset a title" or even a link to the dev of PzC 2, which have no factual basis.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Adam from Slitherine has stated in this forum that they want to fix as many issues as possible in the next patch.
That is why it has taken longer than usual.
AndreyBacerage
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AndreyBacerage »

Adam from Slitherine has stated in this forum that they want to fix as many issues as possible in the next patch.
That is why it has taken longer than usual.
Hopefully they give us also an new trigger to eliminate commanders in next campaign scenarios, to use them aslo for noncore units.
Minor nations infantry and soviet infantry models are also long overdue - please.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well new content or features come usually with new DLCs, but rather not with patches.
AndreyBacerage
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AndreyBacerage »

:wink:
Well new content or features come usually with new DLCs, but rather not with patches.
Thank you for your quick answer. Maybee I dont like to play with the japanese as soviet standard models. Its possible to set own Infantry models for the soviet side - if you dont bring up this feature in the future - than please give us the possibilities and tools to set mods for this. I remember somebody wrote this here in the past - but for now - there are no answers in the modding forum. Should be really time yet - to open this nice game for an modding community in any wise. Otherwise we loose many players with the upcoming Panzer Corps II engine - its more fresh with much more features.

Would be nice to use an model like this one - But how ?:
https://p3dm.ru/files/characters/soldie ... army-.html
or:
http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-45676.html

Return to “Order of Battle Series”