Mistakes vere made, mein Fuhrer - Endsieg Review and Discuss

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Mistakes vere made, mein Fuhrer - Endsieg Review and Discuss

Post by GabeKnight »

hrafnkolbrandr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:50 pm 4 of those Arty as SS is a huge waste of resources. Your SS will just accumulate RP that it doesn't need to spend.

Best use of SS is as a vanguard, because taking losses and RP is never an issue for them.
Agree partially: Maybe not "vanguard" alone, but accumulating too much RP is a waste. With Waffen-SS II already you could diversify their core to have heavy arty, mobile AT support and one heavy inf or tank and still enough RP for elite-repair/upgrades.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

@GabeKnight, hrafnkolbrandr: I use my Waffen SS as a fully fledged, separate Kampfgruppe with inf, mobile AT support (Stug, later Jagdpanther or Jagdtiger) and arty (Nebelwerfers). I think this works well as an additional spearhead. However, putting all your arty there is also an option. You can swap between offensive mobile arty and defensive Nebelwerfers and have more than one set. Your Wehrmacht then isnt bogged down with these high initial investments and can focus on tanks, AT and inf.
Halvralf
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Halvralf »

Andy2012 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:57 am @GabeKnight, hrafnkolbrandr: I use my Waffen SS as a fully fledged, separate Kampfgruppe with inf, mobile AT support (Stug, later Jagdpanther or Jagdtiger) and arty (Nebelwerfers). I think this works well as an additional spearhead. However, putting all your arty there is also an option. You can swap between offensive mobile arty and defensive Nebelwerfers and have more than one set. Your Wehrmacht then isnt bogged down with these high initial investments and can focus on tanks, AT and inf.
Well that was my intention. But as I noticed that the SS RP's just keeps increasing I think hrafnkolbrandr and Gabenight has a point! In PK I had 3 of those in the SS and I just thought well why not four but I actually gonna change this to another setup. Luckily I have a couple of different setups saved up to Kiev scenario and I am actually considering to restart whole campaign if/when the Panther D issue patch is released. I want that commander!!!!!!
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

First: Thank you, Andy, for your AAR posts. :) Your "no elites" tactics seems to work well. The power of StuGs is as expected and I also prefer them as SPATs because they are good against infantry, too. Always cautious to expose those (aux) 88 mm armed big and expensive SPATs but never so with StuGs.

I think the ratio of RPs between Wehrmacht and SS is somewhat off after SS III. I was wondering why Andy has so many RPs for SS and now that I have played the first four scens I can see why. In Panzerkrieg I had two SS tanks in addition of the two inf units from Blitzkrieg but decided to go with heavy artillery in Endsieg (with the addition of Wiking for old times sake). This will likely mean a lot of SS RPs will be sort of wasted. Maybe it would be wiser to bring back those tanks and buy heavy artillery with Wehrmacht RPs (there are quite a few of those from PK core waiting).
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Thanks, CoolDTA. :D
Another small thing that might be useful to newer players: Posturing is essential in OoB and becomes even more so in Panzerkrieg and Endsieg. Keeping your AT in the middle of things will let the superior armour numbers of both the Red Army and later on the western allies bounce off and evaporate.
Screenshot 223.jpg
Screenshot 223.jpg (515.95 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Notice how almost all my units (except arty in the back and an aux infantry getting transferred from the rear to the front) are covered by multiple layers of AT. In the next few turns, I will face some very heavy armoured counterattacks against my flanks on my way to Rhzev. If I played careless or had too many tanks, they would tear through my inf and cut me off.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Alright, Rhzev and Vyazma are once again mine and the Wehrmacht is poised to take Moscow in a full frontal assault. Yeah. 8)
Minor issues: Getting a KV-85 as a bonus is nice, but I honestly dont need it. My Panther Gs are better, faster and can be replaced instantly. The Beutepanzer are stacking up in my core roster and they would just take precious supply and CP if deployed on the battlefield.
Also, as long as that FW 190 F issue is not resolved, it does not make sense to deploy / buy more fighters. So I have 4 air cp undeployed.
Finally, that victory picture seems off - isnt that a burned out Panther? Even though I won decisively?
Still, those are just some rather minor squabbles. I had a lot of fun and this is way more difficult on medium than some suggest. You do have to make very deliberate movements, never overextend yourself and very carefully posture your units with every turn so the counterattacks bounce off. I like it. :D
Screenshot 228.jpg
Screenshot 228.jpg (455.63 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Andy2012 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 am Also, as long as that FW 190 F issue is not resolved, it does not make sense to deploy / buy more fighters. So I have 4 air cp undeployed.
Finally, that victory picture seems off - isnt that a burned out Panther? Even though I won decisively?
Still, those are just some rather minor squabbles. I had a lot of fun and this is way more difficult on medium than some suggest. You do have to make very deliberate movements, never overextend yourself and very carefully posture your units with every turn so the counterattacks bounce off. I like it. :D
Yep, maybe not the best image to represent a major victory. Anyway, congrats for the win! :D

I fixed the Fw 190 F date for my units.csv, because it was such a glaring mistake, but only that. From what I have read here, there seems to be others like it in the later scenarios. Esp. not being to able buy any specs would be really bad. This is why I'm happy to have you, Andy, as the trailblazer. :)

And yes, this campaign definitely shows the huge value of AT support. The player must also learn to use the terrain for his advantage. Forests are your friends.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

CoolDTA wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:06 pm This is why I'm happy to have you, Andy, as the trailblazer. :)
Well, I think I am lagging behind. In that other thread, they are already discussing the future of OoB. And here I am, thinking 'With my current workload, I can finish this maybe before end of this year. Or not. Then I can mayyyyyybeeee think about taking a look at the wonderful stuff Erik is doing.'

(Yes, I am typing this from the office. :roll: )
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Andy2012 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:52 pm Well, I think I am lagging behind. In that other thread, they are already discussing the future of OoB.
No worries - I think there are a number of players who have not even started Endsieg but are waiting for the patch (hopefully there will be one before Xmas).
Andy2012 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:52 pm (Yes, I am typing this from the office. :roll: )
You have too much work. :shock: But tell that to the powers that be...
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@CoolDTA: It is more of a seasonal workload. And I refuse to work from home. It is going to pass...

Okay, Moscow is mine. I remember the gloating Officer from Panzergeneral raving about the Wehrmacht sleeping in the Kreml. This is almost as good. Too bad OoB doesnt have voice acting...
Screenshot 233.jpg
Screenshot 233.jpg (534.87 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

Minor bug: This event (after killing 50 ground units and 8 air units) has a picture, but no title and no text.
Screenshot 232.jpg
Screenshot 232.jpg (536.82 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
On to Falaise, then.
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

CoolDTA wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:09 pm
Andy2012 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:52 pm Well, I think I am lagging behind. In that other thread, they are already discussing the future of OoB.
No worries - I think there are a number of players who have not even started Endsieg but are waiting for the patch (hopefully there will be one before Xmas).
Yea I think Endsieg showed some rather grave misses (aka Panther first scenario) and that atleast had me to halt and prepare for a restart after the patch. At the moment I'm trying to figure out the best balance with the Waffen SS. In PK I went for full Artillery (3x K17 18) as the RP was just enough to handle it. With the Waffen SS III spec I get to much RP's as I only spend them on purchases and not often (preferebly never) on replacement. Testing atm to start with a Tiger and a Stug and it works out fine imo but still to much RP. So how are you others doing it? Andy has his Kampfgruppe I think but any others have any ideas?
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

I think a Kampfgruppe sounds better and better because of the illogical ratio of per turn RPs between Wehrmacht and SS. But I'm sure even with Kampfgruppe there will be a lot of "wasted" RPs at the end.

@Andy: Great work at Moscow and you seem to have a good amount of RPs in store for the Western campaign.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Andy2012 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:41 am Minor bug: This event (after killing 50 ground units and 8 air units) has a picture, but no title and no text.
Yeah, has been reported.

The popup is mostly flavour, not strictly needed (as the overview tells you when the objective is done). Thing is it's easy to enter some text, but unless I can be sure all translations can be provided I just remove the popup as a quick fix. With translations it can be fully restored easily.
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

Finished Moscow 44 around turn 20. I was able to destroy all enemy units on the map. There was a pretty strong counter attack in this scenario, but I expected another one to come after round 20, but it never came. It's kind of suspicious that the eastern third of the map is actually empty. I'm wondering, is this some kind of scenario mistake?
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

I finish Endsieg: very good dlc and OOB has more stars in my personal evaluation thanks to it.
Devs could do one thing more than others to make great as Panzer General 2 this game: names for AI units, I’d like know if hated tank who kill my preferred unit it’s 3 or 4 US armoured division...
WarHomer

Post by WarHomer »

I guess this has been touched upon elsewhere but I´ve experienced some grave errors regarding specs toward the end.

I got the a-bomb for free without picking the spec and cant choose the E-series spec.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon and hopefully the E-series wont just be available in the last mission. Seems a waste to only have the "monsters" for 1 mission.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Mojko wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm Finished Moscow 44 around turn 20. I was able to destroy all enemy units on the map. There was a pretty strong counter attack in this scenario, but I expected another one to come after round 20, but it never came. It's kind of suspicious that the eastern third of the map is actually empty. I'm wondering, is this some kind of scenario mistake?
Just from the description it sounds to me that you're just doing very well - if you destroyed *all* units.

East of Moscow there is not much supposed to happen -- there are some enemy units there at the beginning which are set to advance at some pt though (or to aid the immediate defense of Msocow if the player is close enough).
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

WarHomer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:45 pm I got the a-bomb for free without picking the spec and cant choose the E-series spec.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon and hopefully the E-series wont just be available in the last mission. Seems a waste to only have the "monsters" for 1 mission.
Free A bomb surely shouldn't happen - we check that.

As for the E - personally I think in ES it should be available for the last 2 scns, as these are ahistoric battles and play in 1945. I would not enable it earlier, as this would give you the never-actually-produced E series at Battle of the Bulge/Ardennenoffensive in late 1944 - sounds off to me
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 am I finish Endsieg: very good dlc and OOB has more stars in my personal evaluation thanks to it.
Devs could do one thing more than others to make great as Panzer General 2 this game: names for AI units, I’d like know if hated tank who kill my preferred unit it’s 3 or 4 US armoured division...
Thx, glad you did enjoy it!
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Uranprojekt Test :

Costs 20 Spec : 156 - 20 = 136 -> OK

Screenshot 1059.jpg
Screenshot 1059.jpg (239.93 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Screenshot 1063.jpg
Screenshot 1063.jpg (227.89 KiB) Viewed 2541 times