Damage Differences?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Damage Differences?

Post by Horst »

What I sometimes don't understand why there are such damage differences?
Damage.gif
Damage.gif (192.53 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Damage Differences?

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Random spread? Weird anyway... Never seen such till now
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

This is going to sound strange but perhaps the game senses motorized attack direction and momentum? Notice that if the panzer unit approaches the target for two straight hexes it's damage 3 but when making a turn just before engaging the enemy, it's only damage 2+.
- Bru
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I've seen this too and also wondered the same. I don't think it's what bru suggests as it sounds like a game mechanic that would've been at least vaguely mentioned in the manual or would be consistently observable in combat result predictions, but it's not.

Just gave it a thought again and it may be caused if combat predictions are based on a sample of simulated outcomes as was in another game (that I don't recall at the moment). If the predictions are indeed based on say 10 combat simulations of fights between the two units given their positioning of the pointer, then the randomness of the outcome of these 10 fights can lead to the average kills to be "3", while looking another similar tile to be "2+".

Edit: i remembered the game- field of glory 2.
Victory/defeat/draw predictions for units fights are based on 1000 simulations each time and one often sees a +/-1-2% difference in the various outcomes when same combat is predicted multiple times.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Very good, 13obo. That theory outdoes mine. There is that setting of randomizing combat results, now that you mention it, which is on by default, I believe.
- Bru
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Thanks, bru! Happy to theorise a bit with you from time to time in anticipation of the next dlc (just don't offer I play Erik's campaigns again though!).
Horst

Post by Horst »

When I create a map with many units of the same type, I always get the same combat predictions, no matter the attack distance or position. I also used a tank vs. infantry just to be sure, but I obviously haven't tested this with 1001 units or restarting the scenario that many times. There is randomisation in the actual combat results though as usually.
Normally, you get different predictions depending from which position you are going to flank with help of other allied units. There is no flanking in my example above.

Whatever is going on there, I will keep on believing in the predictions and better attack where it looks best as long as the position won’t be too disadvantageous in the AI’s following turn.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:18 pm What I sometimes don't understand why there are such damage differences?
You played with your mod? And you're absolutely sure that one of the routes does not decrease efficiency in any way?
Horst

Post by Horst »

Gabe, you overestimate my abilities to break the game. :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Well, there goes my theory then. Before we write it off completely, you mentioned you tried with multiple tanks vs same unit- did they all have same strength of 10? Could you see if you get same combat prediction differences if a tank has strength of 9 or 11 as well? If an 11 strength tank doesn't have differences, maybe it's still a valid theory.
Last edited by 13obo on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 pm Gabe, you overestimate my abilities to break the game. :D
No, I don't... :wink: :lol:

But seriously, except with flanking maneuvers, that you've already mentioned and ruled out, I don't recall seeing something like this if there's no efficiency reduction on the way to the target.
But I shall pay more attention from now on.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Gabe, Horst, that would be a case only if one of those desert tiles is a rough desert - but in the editor it is visible even if they look the same in-game
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

GabeKnight wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm
Horst wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 pm Gabe, you overestimate my abilities to break the game. :D
But seriously, except with flanking maneuvers, that you've already mentioned and ruled out, I don't recall seeing something like this if there's no efficiency reduction on the way to the target.
But I shall pay more attention from now on.
Seen it too and never had a proper explanation for it either.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”