Embarkation Vulnerability

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Embarkation Vulnerability

Post by Horst »

Is it really fun that embarked units in transports are that extremely vulnerable to naval attacks?
A default transport_ship has (small) naval-def 8.
A pt_boat has only nav-sml atk 1 and does 4 damage to a unit that has just embarked.
A pt_boat_42 has nav-sml atk 2 and does 8 damage...
pt_gunboat has nav-sml atk 3 and immediately sends the transport to Neptune.

This is totally in contrast to an idle naval transport that started the scenario in the water and hasn't moved at all:
pt_boat: 0+ damage
pt_boat_42: 0+ damage
pt_gunboat: 1 damage

No mercy to amphibious retreats? :cry:
Last edited by Horst on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Disembarkation Vulnerability

Post by GabeKnight »

Didn't know that actually, but it explains some strange situations. :roll:

I'm kind of used to the reddish markers when my units are vulnerable, like it is with launched planes or ships repaired at sea. Nothing to indicate this penalty with transports...
So you're basically saying that the same goes for freshly embarked troops? Okay, noted.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Now imagine some hostile long-ranged naval units lurking in the background...
I first thought "what the heck did I modify again?", but same happened with vanilla too.
This must be a bug as even coastal guns and aircraft do rather normal damage on recently embarked units. This can't be compared to the repair-phase of ships what reduces efficiency which also makes them generally vulnerable to all kind of unit classes.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am Now imagine some hostile long-ranged naval units lurking in the background...
Doesn't even have to be this way, in my case a DD came along, moving FULL distance and shooting at FULL range and still doing 8HP damage to the transport ship.
Horst wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am This must be a bug as even coastal guns and aircraft do rather normal damage on recently embarked units. This can't be compared to the repair-phase of ships what reduces efficiency which also makes them generally vulnerable to all kind of unit classes.
So it's naval units fire only that does this kind of damage? OK, then this thread should be rather moved to tech. support, I suppose.
Horst

Post by Horst »

The damage might be slightly reduced by naval movement, but it's still insane.
The topic is fine here for others as warning. Maybe it's just an evil intention, but the difference to air and land doesn't look like a solid evil plan. I've already made a note in the tech-forum under unit issues.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”