Disruption penalty

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Disruption penalty

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I've been playing Sandstorm for a while and realised that I was not seeing the disruption penalty at the end of the movement arrow anymore. I thought maybe it was because of the desert terrain but now I'm in Malta and its the same. If I click on the terrain info for difficult terrain or woods etc it just shows a dash. I assume this isn't a bug? Has the penalty for moving through difficult terrain been dropped from the game?

Cheers,
Chris
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Disruption penalty

Post by GabeKnight »

HobbesACW wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm Has the penalty for moving through difficult terrain been dropped from the game?
I don't recall anymore how this was handled before (?) But it's possible something like this sneaked in during some update... :)

Movement penalties do apply and there's efficiency drop only when moving through swamp, dense forrest, mountains and jungles.

And it's good that paved roads eliminate the efficiency drop altogether. But I still think that mechanized units should be allowed through dense forrest and montains if a road is present. It works for trains... :roll:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Disruption penatly

Post by 13obo »

Btw, there's a bug in that even though the tooltip suggests there's a 0 penalty for travelling through a paved road in dense forest, there's still an efficiency drop albeit a smeller one. Maybe the tooltip needs to be corrected that the drop of efficiency is smaller or it's an actual bug but either way it is misleading at the moment.
GabeKnight

Re: Disruption penatly

Post by GabeKnight »

13obo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:54 pm Btw, there's a bug in that even though the tooltip suggests there's a 0 penalty for travelling through a paved road in dense forest, there's still an efficiency drop albeit a smeller one. Maybe the tooltip needs to be corrected that the drop of efficiency is smaller or it's an actual bug but either way it is misleading at the moment.
IMO it's the decimal thing again.

E.g. passing through dense forrests should be a drop of "one" eff.: For infantry units (which have the "light treaded" trait) this means like an "0.5" drop and is rounded down in the preview (showing "0") and rounded up in the stats (showing "9"), it seems.

Screenshot 678.jpg
Screenshot 678.jpg (138.46 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Screenshot 679.jpg
Screenshot 679.jpg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

But after marching through two forrest hexes it's still at "9"... working correctly... (0.5 + 0.5 = 1)

With paratroopers (and other units which don't have the "light treaded" trait) everything works as expected, showing "1" eff. drop.
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Ah, the good old decimals are everywhere. Like Gabe's image shows, the tooltip is still there. And the lower drop in eff is as it should: "The presence of a dirt road will decrease this movement penalty, while moving along a hard road causes no efficiency loss at all."
GabeKnight wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 am But I still think that mechanized units should be allowed through dense forrest and montains if a road is present. It works for trains... :roll:
Absolutely!

"Great! Our tanks and artillery can use this road to drive through the forest."
"Mmm.., no."
"No what??"
"See the sign? For non-motorised transport only. Artistocrats are known for their environmental awareness."
"What the (censored)..." :evil:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

CoolDTA wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 pm "Great! Our tanks and artillery can use this road to drive through the forest."
"Mmm.., no."
:lol:

Well, if we're lucky, it might find its way into the new v7 update. For now, dense forest hexes on roads are a "no-no" in any scens...

(Ooops, I always mess up the spelling of "forrest"... maybe because of Forrest Gump. Or was is really Forest Gump? :D )
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am (Ooops, I always mess up the spelling of "forrest"... maybe because of Forrest Gump. Or was is really Forest Gump? :D )
No one really knows. ;) Which reminds me of a quite common mistake: no one ≠ noone. Since I play RPGs too, there's also rogue ≠ rouge. I don't misspell those, but make other mistakes, I'm sure. Then again English is not my native tongue, so I'm allowed, am I not? :mrgreen:
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I've seen noone quite often but I always thought it was due to people typing too fast and not hitting space hard enough.
Thanks for the replies chaps. I thought I was losing it as I was sure i used to see the number at the end of the movement path.

Chris
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

i - I didn't hit shift hard enough :)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”