Difference between Wheel and Halftrack??

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Difference between Wheel and Halftrack??

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

What should be the difference between Wheel and Halftrack movement type? I did this unit... I changed chassis to halftrack from wheel... but there is no difference in movement at all. What am I doing wrong?

SdKfz4.jpg
SdKfz4.jpg (551.83 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Difference between Wheel and Halftrack??

Post by terminator »

File chassis.txt :

wheelvsHalftrack.JPG
wheelvsHalftrack.JPG (36.73 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
There are 2 road factors : one for the Dirt road and one for the Paved Road (?)

There is another file chassis.csv. What is the difference between these 2 files :?:
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Aye... seen those. But in-game both work the same. Road or not, they have 8 movement points and move 4 on clear. 2 in forest.

Plus I compared the SdKfz 251 and it was moving the same. My Maultier unit is correct but the movent "chassis" is apparently not!
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 pm Aye... seen those. But in-game both work the same. Road or not, they have 8 movement points and move 4 on clear. 2 in forest.

Plus I compared the SdKfz 251 and it was moving the same. My Maultier unit is correct but the movent "chassis" is apparently not!
One of the devs mentioned that they're switching the chassis TXT to a CSV version in the future.
Did you try modifying one of the values to see a difference (like movement = 20) and if it works at all?
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

You can compare terrain movements in the Unit navigator tool. Just choose transports with wheel and halftrack movement types, hit compare and then hit show terrain button on both units. It will show you movement comparison on all terrains in all climates.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Guys... I don't want to modify movement types, I just made a halftracked truck. But exactly your hints proved that there is no difference in-game!

Unit navigator is indeed very useful... PROOF: Opel blitz even has advantage over SdKfz 251 in very special cases (frozen swamp). But the main thing is, there is NO DIFFERENCE!

Stock Chassis.CSV does set a huge difference, but it's not working that way. I did not modify chassis at all, so these must be working like original game.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:53 am Guys... I don't want to modify movement types, I just made a halftracked truck. But exactly your hints proved that there is no difference in-game!

Unit navigator is indeed very useful... PROOF: Opel blitz even has advantage over SdKfz 251 in very special cases (frozen swamp). But the main thing is, there is NO DIFFERENCE!

Stock Chassis.CSV does set a huge difference, but it's not working that way. I did not modify chassis at all, so these must be working like original game.
...and the Climate changes nothing for the difference between Wheel and Halftrack :!:
The tables of movements should be revised.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 pm Aye... seen those. But in-game both work the same. Road or not, they have 8 movement points and move 4 on clear. 2 in forest.
Thx for reporting this. We will check that.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Indeed there is difference between Chassis.TXT and Chassis.CSV.

Also, Track_Light has value of 2 for forest, while all of Wheel, Halftrack and Track have 6. That mean light track can move 4 in forest, everybody can move only 2.

OK, I also look into it, there can be more of such.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm Indeed there is difference between Chassis.TXT and Chassis.CSV.

Also, Track_Light has value of 2 for forest, while all of Wheel, Halftrack and Track have 6. That mean light track can move 4 in forest, everybody can move only 2.

OK, I also look into it, there can be more of such.
This means that chassis.csv is the good file and chassis.txt is obsolete ?
(In chassis.txt, forest = 3 for HALFTRACK)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm Also, Track_Light has value of 2 for forest, while all of Wheel, Halftrack and Track have 6. That mean light track can move 4 in forest, everybody can move only 2.
I think light track moving better there is intended. IIRC that stems back from OOB Pacific, where light armor was better suited in certain areas.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”