Australia Needs a Campaign

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Australia Needs a Campaign

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

I know, I know, everyone wants Endkrieg or a Soviet campaign (and I even agree on a Soviet campaign) or something, but hear me out.

OOB has started to fall into the Panzer Corps/Panzer Generals trap of making everything about commanding Nazi armored forces. I get it's very popular, but I thought the whole point was to go the road less traveled with this one - thus why it began with the Pacific; Morning Sun, Winter War and Burma Road are the kind of DLC I was looking for. I really hope the next German campaign is the end of that for a while, and I have a candidate in mind.

Not because Australia was a major player, but because of the places they ended up fighting. Think about the battles and places Australia fought in: Libya, Tobruk, Greece, Crete, Lebanon, Timor, Malaya (though Burma Road already did that), New Guinea and Borneo. That might be the most exotic set of locations you could ask for after Burma Road, which was mostly in Burma anyway. To go from fighting French in Beirut in one mission, to Panzers at Tobruk in the next, to a guerrilla battle on Timor, to an air war over the Bismarck Sea. Maybe that just sounds cool to me, but I think it would be perfect - and come on, Australia has popped up in Sandstorm, Rising Sun and Burma Road, but still doesn't have a campaign of its own.

I guess I could just tinker around with the editor for the time being but......well, I'm definitely meant to be a player, not a designer, let's put it that way :mrgreen:
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Australia Needs a Campaign

Post by Cataphract88 »

Sounds like a good idea to me. 8)

I'd buy this campaign! :)
Richard
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

It does sound fun! Perhaps it wasn't implemented till now because all environments needed development first (like sand).
Edgewalker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Edgewalker »

+1, I would preorder it blind
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

+1, but would hope for more than just the usual 12ish missions.
robertahyuk
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by robertahyuk »

That sounds like a great DLC! Air, Land and Sea. I'm in on this one.
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by steevodeevo »

+1 awesome and very tough settings and battles.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

Major impediment for an Australia DLC right now is that the ANZACs fought in a lot of theaters, which means enemy units and terrain and so on must be available in the game and editor first (Wehrmacht, Japanese, UK, italian etc). If at all, an Australia campaign can be available only after some other campaigns are finished and sold.
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Andy2012 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:47 am Major impediment for an Australia DLC right now is that the ANZACs fought in a lot of theaters, which means enemy units and terrain and so on must be available in the game and editor first (Wehrmacht, Japanese, UK, italian etc). If at all, an Australia campaign can be available only after some other campaigns are finished and sold.
What countries would be involved that aren't already in the game? I can't think of any.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

TheFilthyCasual wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm What countries would be involved that aren't already in the game? I can't think of any.
- Nationalist Spain
- Republican Spain
- Slovakia
- Luxembourg
- Switzerland
- Turkey
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

terminator wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 am
TheFilthyCasual wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm What countries would be involved that aren't already in the game? I can't think of any.
- Nationalist Spain
- Republican Spain
- Slovakia
- Luxembourg
- Switzerland
- Turkey
Croatian Army units fighting on the Eastern Front on the side of Germany.
Yugoslav factions - Chetnics, Ustashes, communist Tito partisans etc.
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

- Nationalist Spain
- Republican Spain
- Slovakia
- Luxembourg
- Switzerland
- Turkey
....wut.

None of those have anything to do with anything Australia did in WW2. You're not making any sense.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

TheFilthyCasual wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:11 am
- Nationalist Spain
- Republican Spain
- Slovakia
- Luxembourg
- Switzerland
- Turkey
....wut.

None of those have anything to do with anything Australia did in WW2. You're not making any sense.
Australians and Spanish Civil War :

"The Australians would, as a general rule, have served in the English-speaking Battalions of the 15th International Brigade: the British Battalion, the two American Battalions - the Lincoln and Washington Battalions, and the Canadian Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion. Casualty rates among the International Brigades were particularly high; a number of Australians were killed and most would have been wounded at some point. A number of Australians making their way to Spain are said to have been drowned on the SS City of Barcelona when the ship was torpedoed by an Italian submarine off the coast of Catalonia in spring 1937. (I know a Welsh IB veteran who was on the ship. He spent the better part of a day in the water, was picked up by a fishing boat, taken to dry land, given a new pair of boots and sent straight to the Front. They were tough young men.) "
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

terminator wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 am
TheFilthyCasual wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:11 am
- Nationalist Spain
- Republican Spain
- Slovakia
- Luxembourg
- Switzerland
- Turkey
....wut.

Australians and Spanish Civil War :

"The Australians would, as a general rule, have served in the English-speaking Battalions of the 15th International Brigade: the British Battalion, the two American Battalions - the Lincoln and Washington Battalions, and the Canadian Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion. Casualty rates among the International Brigades were particularly high; a number of Australians were killed and most would have been wounded at some point. A number of Australians making their way to Spain are said to have been drowned on the SS City of Barcelona when the ship was torpedoed by an Italian submarine off the coast of Catalonia in spring 1937. (I know a Welsh IB veteran who was on the ship. He spent the better part of a day in the water, was picked up by a fishing boat, taken to dry land, given a new pair of boots and sent straight to the Front. They were tough young men.) "
Why exactly would there be any missions following Australian volunteers in Spain when exactly none of the other campaigns have begun in such a way?

Campaigns follow national militaries. If we get a Spanish Civil War campaign, you will likely play as the Spanish Army, not a few random foreign battalions.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

TheFilthyCasual wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 pmWhy exactly would there be any missions following Australian volunteers in Spain when exactly none of the other campaigns have begun in such a way?
Campaigns follow national militaries. If we get a Spanish Civil War campaign, you will likely play as the Spanish Army, not a few random foreign battalions.
You are right but we begin to go away too much from the initial subject of this topic.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”