PvP Etiquette

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

PvP Etiquette

Post by conboy »

I love the PvP aspect of this game but it has its downside, mostly due to players not showing due consideration for their opponents. Here are some suggestions for PvP etiquette. Unfortunately, some of the worst offenders never check this forum. But anyway, at least we might create some objective standard by which to justify finger-wagging at miscreants. Edits are most welcome. Please post yours in response and we can discuss and I'll compile and offer it as sticky.

1. Use the chat message to advise opponents (along with fellow team members if playing 2v2) as to how long you might be available to play. For example, "I should be able to play for about two hours after I post this turn. I'll return at 0200z to check to see if you've played your turn if I don't hear back."
2. If you are beaten, or decide you don't want to play the match any more, resign -- don't just walk away and have the opponent request the Artistocrats delete the game after a week of not hearing from you.
3. If you are going to resign, advise your opponents (along with fellow team members if playing 2v2) prior to your last turn so they don't beat their brains out in the following turn figuring how to deliver the coup de grâce or escape whatever brutal trap you have set for them, only to never hear from you again.

I thought I would have more but that's about all I can come up with now. Any others?

conboy
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: PvP Etiquette

Post by uran21 »

I do not agree about the first one. PBEM system allows one to respond whenever he has time after opponents turn. Dedication creates pressure and it is fine if one is creating pressure for himself but I would not like for someone else to create pressure on me especially if we are talking about having fun. My system is to check about opponents turn through e-mail notification if I have time I respond right away if not whenever I can. This way several turns could be played in succession if both parties are interested without any special agreement.

I agree about resigning when people are not interested anymore but I doubt any special education would make this happen more often. Some people simply do not have benefit from resigning and that click is just an extra work for them so do not expect them to do it. This is why we have Claim victory button to counter it and clean our list of games. Problem is when this button isn’t working and there is a need to contact support for it.

Haven’t played much of 2v2 but I do not have will to do it more either because of bad experiences. It takes time for players to accept the challenge, it takes time for all to play their turn and if one player resigns that side is practically doomed.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Copy -- all makes sense. Topic didn't stir up much interest anyway...

thanks for the response!

conboy
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

For what is is worth, I try to live up to similar rules in multiplayer.

2v2 (or 3v1 etc) should have an automatic reassignment to the 'surviving' team player whenever one player drops out.
That way the game could continue.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Concur!

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle Series”