Custom Scenario - Battle of Midway

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Custom Scenario - Battle of Midway

Post by Duplex »

The Battle of Midway is out!

Created for Shards' Summer Scenario Shakedown, the scenario features intense combat between two rivals, the Soviets and Germans, on a small 20x20 map. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense, and is tons of fun!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Custom Scenario - Battle of Midway

Post by GabeKnight »

Similar to Bruce, you seem to be one crazy guy when it comes to story/design, Duplex... :lol:

Screenshot 619.jpg
Screenshot 619.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 2200 times

Sorry, but I haven't played "for real" yet, the long scenario limit and the overwhelming forces were a bit too much for my deployed forces. I keep forgetting how powerful those German tanks are and that there's nothing on the Soviet side to counter that. So I've cheated myself a whole lot of RP's as to not have to restart.

BTW, do you remember which unit/faction (below screenshot) that was? Should be reported and fixed.

Screenshot 618.jpg
Screenshot 618.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Yeah, that's the feltkanon 75mm from Sweden. I found out it was buggy while I was testing it, but I decided to keep it anyways because it wasn't very powerful. Thanks for playing though! I made the scenario extremely tough this time. But it's definitely possible!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:14 pm Similar to Bruce, you seem to be one crazy guy when it comes to story/design, Duplex... :lol:
I learned from the best :wink:
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Duplex wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 pm I learned from the best :wink:
Who learned from the real best around here, and continues to do so. :wink: :wink:

Wow, this one is bizarre. A mashup of the World's Fair, Star Wars, and Oenophilia! This scenario is cheesy. (In a good way.)
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Anyway, on to business.

Usually, if you have a "hold onto this spot" objective which is set as achieved in the beginning and failed only if lost, that's good by itself. You have the failure trigger to also fail the other primary objective if not yet achieved, scenario over. But what will happen in that case is only a draw because to have a player defeat, the AI needs to win an objective of its own.

Right now, you have it like this:
  • If the player holds SF and takes C at any time, Victory. (Major Victory if secondary objectives are also achieved, Minor Victory if not.) Good.
  • If the player holds SF but never takes C in 60 turns (which is a lot for a small scenario like this, by the way), you have a Draw (neither human nor AI achieved their primary objectives). Not good.
  • If the player loses SF at any time, you also have a Draw for the same reason. Not good.
My point is, in the last two instances, the AI should win and for that you need to have an AI objective (something simple like "AI wins") which is awarded when the human player fails. Only then will there be a Defeat. (Minor Defeat if secondary objectives have been achieved, Major Defeat if not.)

I see how you award the cheese objective. It's not well-defined how to do so in the mission description but maybe you meant this to be murky as whey and only curdle when the player stumbles upon the wedge. Grate if so!

Heh. Where did you learn that "change sides" trick, hmm? I wonder. :roll:

That whole thing with HRH: Great just so!

A wine vat the size of an oil storage tank? The mouth waters. :shock:

Maybe make the wine vignette another secondary objective, mentioning the goodies to be had? Otherwise, again, the player does not know about this until he falls into the vat. Then again, maybe it's better the way that you have this and the cheese: surprises.

There's not much else to add because this is a well-constructed scenario that produced some smiles just from looking through it with the editor. Thanks.
- Bru
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thanks for the feedback! I will fix all the problems you just mentioned right away. I had lots of fun creating this scenario. Being goofy is so enjoyable!

I love all the puns you used. :D
It's really punny.
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Ok, v1.0.8 for Battle of Midway is here.

- Second objective clarification
- Outcome bug fixed
- Minor tweaks

So, bru, I clarified the description of the Cheese objective but I left the wine thing as is because it is something the player should stumble upon. And once you kill one of the "quality wine" trucks, the event popup provides some nice information.

Also, I'm wondering how well the balance is. Is the scenario too tough? Boring in some parts? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

https://imgur.com/a/HbzgIf2

This is how powerful this scenario is :D
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Like Gabe, I'll need to come back to this with a new force composition, that is some serious tonnage coming my way by air and land!

My gut is that you could be more generous with the income as I'm certainly going to have repairs to do!
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

The scenario might be a bit too challenging. I'll see what I can do...
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator

Return to “Order of Battle Series”