New awesome look of our forum

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

New awesome look of our forum

Post by Mojko »

I just wanted to say I really appreciate the new forum layout. Finally, we have a forum which is mobile friendly - the layout adjusts based on screen size and is easy to handle on smaller devices like phones and tablets. I also like the new visuals as they are much more modern and up to date and conform to web standards more.

Keep up to the good work! :D .
Last edited by Mojko on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: New awesome look of our forum

Post by bru888 »

Mojko wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:55 am Keep up to the god work! :D .
Heh. Freudian slip. QFT! What a sycophant. Will you be offering frankincense and myrrh next? (Just kidding.) :)

You do make an interesting point about mobile devices. So much of what we see online these days has been made blander, simpler, and blocky for this reason. Web sites, Windows, Office, and now these forums. It's a fact of life that I have come to terms with and, having done so, is already making my transition to this new forum format a relatively stress-free event.
- Bru
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

Fixed the typo, thanks for catching that :)

Mobile first layout is the future, my friend. I even received a notification from Google that they are moving the indexing to a mobile-first layout. Basically what this means is that the search result of your Google search will be based on mobile versions of the pages, not the desktop ones. This is a huge deal because until now you could get away from having a mobile-first website. It will be much more difficult from now on.

I think we will eventually have just one small handheld device from everything (phone, tablet, pc) and you will be just attaching peripherals (keyboard, monitor) as needed.

Next, we should finally abandon the old keyboards and move to new ones. Yes, I'm talking about the position of the keys on the keyboard. Believe it or not, the key positions on our keyboards are still from the time of typewriters. They are optimized to minimize the probability of a typewriter being stuck because two keys were too close to each other. It's quite irrelevant now.

Next, I want to have metric system accepted in all countries and abandon the imperial one. We also need to reform our date/time system. Abolish 30-minute timezone shifts and daylight saving time. Then we can finally change all months to have exactly 4 weeks (28 days) and 1 year to be exactly 13 months (52 weeks). Abolish the leap year and leap seconds and just declare whatever time is remaining as a special holiday outside of the normal year. This allows businesses to improve their sales calculations a lot because there are no artificial fluctuations during different months.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Cool. I didn't know you could play OoB on mobile phones. Still, the new look is hard to get used to, mostly unnecessary changes from my point of view. Why couldn't they just alter the appearance of this forum ONLY when viewed on such mini-screens of the mobiles?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I like the new more modern look.
The only thing which disturbs me it is that there is no more this separation :

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
SirAllan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by SirAllan »

Wel it maybe a more modern look and it maybe look good on mobiles, but here on PC it dont look good.
It is hard to find the correct topics and to get an overview on what is new in the Forum, cause the dates no longer are in cronological order - it is rather confusing.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:21 am I like the new more modern look.
The only thing which disturbs me it is that there is no more this separation :

Capture.JPG
Looks like they just fixed this. It is better.
- Bru
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

GabeKnight wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 am Cool. I didn't know you could play OoB on mobile phones. Still, the new look is hard to get used to, mostly unnecessary changes from my point of view. Why couldn't they just alter the appearance of this forum ONLY when viewed on such mini-screens of the mobiles?
Maintaining multiple versions of layout is a nightmare. Mobile first or responsive design is about having one layout that fits them all. Obviously, there are limitations but overall it's a good tradeoff.
richfed
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by richfed »

Looks good to me. Change is usually greeted with boos ... at first.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I'll bump this thread because I now agree with its subject line. Apparently, when I first signed on yesterday, the new forum was a "work in progress" and there were some aspects that were bothersome but I noticed things were changing throughout the day (such as now the avatars are back on the left). Now I definitely like the new look; frankly it's not that much different from the old look but it does look brighter and cleaner. And besides, if we don't see those system posting errors anymore, that's a big plus.
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 pm I'll bump this thread because I now agree with its subject line. Apparently, when I first signed on yesterday, the new forum was a "work in progress" and there were some aspects that were bothersome but I noticed things were changing throughout the day (such as now the avatars are back on the left). Now I definitely like the new look; frankly it's not that much different from the old look but it does look brighter and cleaner. And besides, if we don't see those system posting errors anymore, that's a big plus.
I like it, too. Could use more smilies / emoticons.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Andy2012 wrote:Could use more smilies / emoticons.
I can't believe I'm actually saying this at my age, but... agree :D :lol: :mrgreen:
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:56 pm
Andy2012 wrote:Could use more smilies / emoticons.
I can't believe I'm actually saying this at my age, but... agree :D :lol: :mrgreen:
Nothing wrong with that. Examples: with emoticons new members feel welcome to the forum Image or you can make really important requests. Image

:mrgreen:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Two improvements that I really, really like:

1) When you edit your post, it does not hesitate for a few seconds in order to ask you whether you want to go back to it or someplace else; instead, it goes right back to the edited post. I mean, where else would I want to go at that point? I can click wherever I want to go as soon as it comes back, anyway.

2) When you attach an image, they eliminated one step. I cannot exactly remember what that was anymore and frankly, I don't want to know! Now it's just Add Files and Place Inline. Nice and easy.

I really hope that they keep it this way.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm 2) When you attach an image, they eliminated one step. I cannot exactly remember what that was anymore and frankly, I don't want to know! Now it's just Add Files and Place Inline. Nice and easy.
Yes, noticed that, too. You don't have to click on the "add files" button anymore. But now you'll have to press "Return" twice after placing the pic inline. Feels more like a trade-off. :wink:
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

We can do it guys, just 4 more posts!
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

8) I rather like the new format
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I'm wondering if this is new with the forum overhaul. Apparently, if you choose to name your post, the board displays the post name instead of the thread name. I went to the Scenario Design forum twice, asking myself "Where that thread be at?" until I realized it was his post that was named thusly, in the Erik's Campaigns thread:

Image0032.jpg
Image0032.jpg (260.46 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Image0033.jpg
Image0033.jpg (343.58 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

I'm not sure whether this is actually advisable - it can be confusing - but it's a minor matter. The forums are fine; I feel right at home with them now. My only concerns are the lingering image attachment issue and, does anybody else think these forums are a bit slow in response time?

P.S. - No criticism of you is intended, ctskelly. What you did is fine, except for the part about helping to make Erik's head too big to fit into these forums soon. :wink:
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I have often changed the of a single post in a thread to make it easier to spot the exact issue being discussed.
I'm on the fence wether it is a good thing.

Erik the Big Headed

Return to “Order of Battle Series”