Mixed reviews on steam

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Mixed reviews on steam

Post by Gunja »

I recently switched to the steam version of the game, since I think that the update process there is much easier. I noticed that the reviews for the game are mixed at best, and since I was surprised by this fact, I browsed a little bit through the reviews and I found that a lot of them are complaining about the amount of content for a free to play game. I think that these reviews are unfair or at least a misunderstanding - OOB is not a free to play game. The free version is more a less a very extended (or generous if you want) demo version, but not more than that. At that is a good thing, I think we can all agree. Nobody wants a dumbed down version, in game purchases or anything else the mobile era was so generous to provide us with.
But still - if I didn´t own OOB already, I would have been probably quite hesitant to look at it, not only because I mistrust free to play games (I actually do thing, that good games have to be paid for) but also because mixed reviews on steam are quite a bad sign.

It is obviously not my place to comment on this, since it is purely a management decision, I just thought, that it is a pity how the game is received on steam.

Cheers

Gunja
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Mixed reviews on steam

Post by 13obo »

I'm pretty sure the reviews on Steam are one of the top metrics that the Publisher/Developer of OOB already use to assess the game's reception. And yes, probably unfair that people who tried the free-to-play content found it insufficient and left a negative review. However, games like OOB can only benefit from more exposure because their niche players (armchair generals) will most likely play the game no matter what the steam reviews say. There are just too few similar games.
Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

13obo wrote:I'm pretty sure the reviews on Steam are one of the top metrics that the Publisher/Developer of OOB already use to assess the game's reception.
I do think so too, that is why I know, that my post is probably pretty dispensable :oops: :D
And I also noticed, that the developers took a different approach on gog, where there is no free demo version but instead you buy OOB with US Pacific and then can add the dlc´s you want. Not only are the ratings better there, the worst review is complaining, that you have to pay for a game, that is free on steam. Obviously, the reviewer didn´t take the time to look twice, what he is complaining about.
I am not so sure, that OOB is really only a niche game - I consider myself for example a pretty mainstream gamer and I do like it a lot. But the main point is of course, that it is not my place to comment on this issue, since it is the developer´s. I just wanted to share my bewilderment with the steam reviews with someone in the first place :oops:
cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by cutydt02 »

Oob isnt kind of game that everyone can love. This game’s trend like battle royal or moba, i dont like it because of reviews. We all know that reviews on steam mean nothing now

Return to “Order of Battle Series”