How to activate US units in Pearl Harbor

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

garywjamison
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

How to activate US units in Pearl Harbor

Post by garywjamison »

Dear Fellow Gamers:
I played the "Boot Camp" tutorial. I have now started the "Pearl Harbor" scenario but I can not figure out how to purchase or activate any US naval units or US airplanes.

Gary Jamison
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: How to activate US units in Pearl Harbor

Post by Shards »

You start with a jeep unit. If you drive that to the surrounding locations (marked with flags) then that will alert reinforcements
Deja Bru
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Deja Bru »

Drive hard and fast. Obey no speed limits. :wink:
- Bru
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

It is (just) possible to activate all the flags through clever use of the Jeep and the AA units that you get. It took me quite a few tries to achieve it though :)
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

@garywjamison
This mission just plays a bit different from the rest (much of it being scripted). In the following missions you'll get more freedom of deployment for your troops! :)
Shards wrote:It is (just) possible to activate all the flags through clever use of the Jeep and the AA units that you get. It took me quite a few tries to achieve it though :)
I'll have to admit, I never did. Always one of the objectives uncompleted. But I never had the patience to try out the possible driving-alternatives - and it never bothered me much (or enough to retry :wink: ) because of the non-core "rewards" there.
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Me neither. But I was quite happy to get the easter egg in the corner. :)
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

GabeKnight wrote:I'll have to admit, I never did. Always one of the objectives uncompleted. But I never had the patience to try out the possible driving-alternatives - and it never bothered me much (or enough to retry :wink: ) because of the non-core "rewards" there.
It's definitely possible to get all the units. The trick is to have the jeep take the northern route and the AA gun take the southern route to the east. It's worth it because the rewards contain core units as well. The last unit you get is AA core unit which is super helpful in Bataan because it can switch to AT mode as well.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Mojko wrote:
GabeKnight wrote:I'll have to admit, I never did. Always one of the objectives uncompleted. But I never had the patience to try out the possible driving-alternatives - and it never bothered me much (or enough to retry :wink: ) because of the non-core "rewards" there.
It's definitely possible to get all the units. The trick is to have the jeep take the northern route and the AA gun take the southern route to the east. It's worth it because the rewards contain core units as well. The last unit you get is AA core unit which is super helpful in Bataan because it can switch to AT mode as well.
What I meant was, that out of the 10 airfields/VP you could possibly "activate", some just give you non-core rewards and were not worth the trouble. Like the airfield on the easternmost peninsula with an non-core fighter or some VP giving you a non-core AA.
Other core units rewards or the "easter-egg" CoolDTA mentioned are a must, of course.
Mojko wrote:The trick is to have the jeep take the northern route and the AA gun take the southern route to the east.
That's quite the spoiler there...

(but.. thank you, thank you, thank you :wink: :D )
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

I have played Pearl Harbor (U.S. side) at least four times now and I have never thought of using activated AA guns to wake up other AA guns on their way to the harbor. Never. (Can planes land on a heretofore neutral airfield and "claim" it? I think not.) What a revelation! And I don't consider mentioning that strategy as a spoiler. Now, that bit about the easter egg... sshhhh. :roll:
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Deja Bru wrote:I have played Pearl Harbor (U.S. side) at least four times now and I have never thought of using activated AA guns to wake up other AA guns on their way to the harbor. Never.
Whaaaaaat? How else do you do it? One of the first activated AA guns has a REALLY speedy transport assigned...(almost as fast as the jeep)

Usually I get 9/10 of those airport/VP objectives, but up until now I've always had the jeep take the southern route and the AA the northern...
(The usual stuck way of doing things when it's going your way - "never change a running system" :lol: ....but sometimes you'll have to...)
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

GabeKnight wrote:
Deja Bru wrote:I have played Pearl Harbor (U.S. side) at least four times now and I have never thought of using activated AA guns to wake up other AA guns on their way to the harbor. Never.
Whaaaaaat? How else do you do it? One of the first activated AA guns has a REALLY speedy transport assigned...(almost as fast as the jeep)

Usually I get 9/10 of those airport/VP objectives, but up until now I've always had the jeep take the southern route and the AA the northern...
(The usual stuck way of doing things when it's going your way - "never change a running system" :lol: ....but sometimes you'll have to...)
Well, the good news about Pearl Harbor (U.S.) is that no matter how badly you play, you advance anyway! :lol:

Seriously, my first priority was always to wake everything up with the jeep and rush stuff to the harbor to save the last battleship. I never accomplished the secondary goals except for saving the battleship. I wonder what will happen if I try it this new way...

By the way, do you guys ever bother to wake up the airfield on Ford Island? That seems always to be a waste of time to me. It takes three turns to embark a jeep, or now an AA gun, disembark it, and move it one hex to the airfield. Hmmm. Yet, once that's done, an AA gun is in prime position to hammer enemy planes over the harbor...
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Deja Bru wrote:By the way, do you guys ever bother to wake up the airfield on Ford Island? That seems always to be a waste of time to me. It takes three turns to embark a jeep, or now an AA gun, disembark it, and move it one hex to the airfield. Hmmm. Yet, once that's done, an AA gun is in prime position to hammer enemy planes over the harbor...
Always. I think there's even a core fighter reward for you there (not sure it's core, though). And, as you noted yourself, your AA is in a good position afterwards.

However, your dogfighters provide better cover for your battleships than the AA units. Use the speedy AA unit and the jeep to activate the airfields/VP and the other, slower AA to activate the airfield on that island. If your timing is right, you can do it between the Jap attack waves without wasting turns (and valuable attack possibilities).
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Aye, aye, Captain! Let me at those so-and-so's! :evil:
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Deja Bru wrote:Aye, aye, Captain! Let me at those so-and-so's! :evil:
What a difference "thinking outside the box" (and reading these forums) will make! This is at least the fourth time I have played U.S. Pearl and these are by far the best results that I have had. ALL airfields activated, including Ford Island and the far-off Kaneohe Bay. Not just five but six or seven enemy airplanes shot down. Only one turn away from activating the last AA gun. And, my gosh, TWO surviving battleships! [Medium difficulty, by the way.]
Capture1043.jpg
Capture1043.jpg (704.06 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
I will speak no more so as to not add to spoilers. :wink:
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Your screenshot's about the same mine looked every time (until Mojko's spoiler, and on lvl5 BTW :wink: )
Deja Bru wrote:I will speak no more so as to not add to spoilers. :wink:
Okay, but one last small tip from me: If you move your DD to port, you can upgrade it to the '41 version (just 5RP) for a +2 small air attack boost.
SirAllan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by SirAllan »

I have tryed and tryed but I cant find the easter egg - tell me more about it please :roll:
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Bru didn't like I mentioned the easter egg so I'm a bit afraid to tell more because he may impose some undesirable consequences on me...

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

CoolDTA wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:46 am Bru didn't like I mentioned the easter egg so I'm a bit afraid to tell more because he may impose some undesirable consequences on me...
Such as banishing you to some far-off place like Haleiwa! :x Oh wait, that's too nice a location. Well, I'll think of someplace else... :?
- Bru
SirAllan

Post by SirAllan »

ok - if you cant tell, where I can find it, then at least tell what can be found please
bru888

Post by bru888 »

SirAllan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:24 pm ok - if you cant tell, where I can find it, then at least tell what can be found please
Can I send you a PM? You would need to click "Private messages" at the top of the screen. Post "Yes" here and I will send you a PM.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”