New to Oob

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

New to Oob

Post by Wargamer74 »

After years of playing PC I thought I would give OoB a try even though I was initially turned off by the 3D graphics and the fact that the game uses the Unity engine which from my past experience can be buggy and I am a little concerned about all the bugs I keep reading about on the forums, after getting the Blitzkrieg and Panzerkrieg dlc on sale I hope this doesn’t become one those games I’ll regret purchasing later, for me constant bugs and glitches ruin the game play and immersion but I have to admit the game is really fun and addicting plus it’s like playing Panzer Corps from a different perspective but some things seem odd about how combat works.

So far from what I understand only AT and AA give defensive fire but not Artillery? Another is I believe in the manual it states only up to 3 units can provide defensive fire, is this correct? And recon seems significantly weaker than in PC, they almost seem useless now.

Also is there a way to bring up a detailed log of the combat die rolls made? In Panzer Corps you could see the full details of the combat by using the L hotkey.
I’m still going through the Boot camp campaign and at first I thought it would be fairly easy to master because of the similarities to PC but quickly realized many of the tactics in PC don’t work so well in OoB but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, there's alot of improvements from the way PC did things like supply for example, I just have to get the system down before even thinking about playing the German campaign.

Anyway so far I’m enjoying the game :D
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: New to Oob

Post by bru888 »

Hey, welcome. A bunch of us will be along to answer your other questions momentarily but please let me reassure you on the matter of bugs in OOB. Below is a list of current bugs in the latest version of OOB - 6.1.7 (my own list; not official nor necessarily comprehensive):

viewtopic.php?f=372&t=85510
viewtopic.php?f=372&t=85476 *
viewtopic.php?f=372&t=85462
viewtopic.php?f=264&t=84874 *
viewtopic.php?f=264&t=85548

You are new to the game so I can only ask you to trust what I say when I tell you that only the ones marked with an asterisk significantly affect actual gameplay. The others are minor details which of course are important enough to report and be corrected but they will not cause you undue loss of enjoyment, I don't think.

I will be compiling these issues in the Tech Support forum to ensure that they are noticed and addressed by the developers. That said, I will add that OOB is a very complicated game under the hood and things can go wrong particularly in scenario and campaign design details. But right now, the basic game of OOB seems to be fundamentally sound.
- Bru
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

In Summary, Order of Battle is still very much in development, and each new DLC comes alongside a new game patch adding new features.

These, quite understandably, always have some edge case issue in a game this size, which is why we're always keen for our community to let us know what's not working so that we can get them fixed :)

P.s. In general, your reading of the game rules is correct. The biggest change for most PzC players is that in OoB artillery is for shooting with, not defending with. And rather than ammo and suppression, it's the "Efficiency" stat (shown as the battery icon in the unit info and also the colour of the number on the name plate) that affects a unit's performance in battle.

Thanks!
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

What had me worried was right after I purchased the Blitzkrieg add on, I read in the forum about a bug that doesn't allow you to progress past Norway. It's good to know the game is still being supported and hopefully the major bugs will be worked out.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Wargamer74 wrote:What had me worried was right after I purchased the Blitzkrieg add on, I read in the forum about a bug that doesn't allow you to progress past Norway. It's good to know the game is still being supported and hopefully the major bugs will be worked out.
Yes, that's one of the ones that I asterisked, #85476. The developers know about that one and have promised a fix in the next patch. For now, you can use a cheat code* to progress past Norway and proceed with the campaign.

*What you do is press CTRL+C to bring up a command console and type: #igotnukes
- Bru
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Thanks, at the moment I'm still playing the Boot Camp campaign, I'll wait until the new patch comes out to start my conquest of Europe, lol.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Wargamer74 wrote:Thanks, at the moment I'm still playing the Boot Camp campaign, I'll wait until the new patch comes out to start my conquest of Europe, lol.
Heh. Good idea! That's what Boot Camp is for, grunt. Now drop and gimme 50! :x (Pushups, not the rap song. Enjoy. :wink: )
- Bru
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

Here are some very good tips for Panzer Korps veterans in these two threads:

Tips and Tricks
OOB vs PanzerKorps
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
jbarradale
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by jbarradale »

I am also new to Order Of Battle.
I have previously played quite a few games. Starting with boardgames and then PC. I have played several games using the word Panzer in them. (Codename Panzers...) My favorite game is Blitzkrieg II. I have also played Company of Heroes, also very high on my list. I am a little confused with selling two campaigns, the naval war and ground war all around the same time. They really should have been packaged together. It makes more sense to play the naval war in Northern Poland, then do the Blitzkrieg campaign driving further south to the capital, Warsaw.

Just a side note: It would be nice to have some help with some of the names of cities, as to how to pronounce them.

I am playing the naval game and ground war at the same time. So far, I really like the game.

I was very upset with Blitzkrieg when I tries to create a campaign. They provided the editor, but without any notes, FAQs, manual or even hints.

Perhaps this game will allow me to do that?
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Mojko wrote:Here are some very good tips for Panzer Korps veterans in these two threads:

Tips and Tricks
OOB vs PanzerKorps
Thanks for the tips, I still have to have get out of the habit of making sure my artillery is positioned behind my units since they don't contribute to defensive fire. Overall I find the combat in Oob to have a more realistic feel then PanzerCorps had although it would still be nice to see the full combat log details but I guess all that counts is the end result.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”