Wacht Am Rhein campaign beta testing

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Deja Bru
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Wacht Am Rhein campaign beta testing

Post by Deja Bru »

Dinant DoD, v. 1.1

Another of those situations where this trigger is highly unlikely to fire because it is looking for a Capture VP event right at Scenario End. Probably should use Turn Start:
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (149.33 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Oops, linked to wrong objective:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (187.67 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Oops, no AI team for this A26B Invader:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (156.55 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Manhay Crossroads v. 1.1

This objective trigger condition seems fine:
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (178.94 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
But this one seems superfluous and will prevent the trigger from firing, for reasons discussed in previous posts. I don't think you even need this condition because it looks like your intention is for the player to win as soon as he secures seven villages. This condition (if it is set to Turn Start) will obligate the player to play all 24 turns:
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (152.54 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Once again, Capture VP as a trigger event should be replaced by Turn Start. Plus you have the wrong alliance as the owner:
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (178.88 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Last edited by Deja Bru on Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Manhay Crossroads v. 1.1 continued.

Oops, wrong Unit Definition:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (186.84 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Just checking on this. You are saying, if you park a tank on this spot for one turn, you win this objective?
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (269.74 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Uh oh. Every one of these Remove Units is marked with a "(missing unit)" which stirs unpleasant memories. I can hear people's computers crashing even now! :wink:
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (159.66 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

MotM, v. 1.1

Is there ever a reason for the AI to have a secondary objective to win or fail?
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
I advocated earlier that an objective like this should be awarded from the start:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (101.76 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
And that a trigger like this be made to fail the objective later if a tank is lost, not achieve it at the first instance of combat which is what I think this does. That is, visualize it this way: two infantry units have combat, firing this trigger. No panzer lost yet, though, so objective achieved. Not what you want, I think:
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (179.05 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Last edited by Deja Bru on Wed May 23, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

MotM, v. 1.1 continued

Now, in this scenario, maybe you do want us to stick it out and hold on to villages to the end. If so, then this condition is appropriate but you would still need a Turn Start instead of a Capture VP to go along with Scenario Turn Limit:
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (149.79 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Same thing applies to this trigger:
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (158.43 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
More of these "(missing unit)" Remove Unit effects. Are you trying to burn out people's computers? Eh? What gives? :x ( :wink: ) Here's a clue, though; the one below this one actually does have a unit attached to the effect, a Beaufighter Mk.X. Maybe that will spark your memory as to what you were trying to do with these effects:
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (154.94 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Will resume tomorrow night. I want to finish with version 1.1 but if you do anything in the meantime to update your version, I will download it and pick it up at Widening the Corridor. Sorry for the numerous posts; in this persona, I am limited to only three screen prints per post. Also, here's another mention of my advice to use your own judgment, as always. I am not checking whether you are agreeing with and implementing anything that I am saying here. (Although I will be a bit cross if my computer is fried, looking for your missing units to remove! :) )
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Deja Bru wrote: I am not checking whether you are agreeing with and implementing anything that I am saying here. (Although I will be a bit cross if my computer is fried, looking for your missing units to remove! :) )
As far as I could tell, your advice about the trigger logic is sound, Bruce. Particularly the "scenario end" and "turn start" trigger configuration being imperative.
(Erik, you should listen to him :wink: )

PS: I've encountered the "missing" unit spawn triggers playtesting Sandstom, too, and these don't cause no computer crash. Actually they're just being ignored. :)
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Added Wehrmacht/Waffen to all scenarios.

Roadblocks:
Fixed the AI obj.
I think the devs should just add those scroll-bars to the victory/loss messages.

I'll check the Sea Lion/Italy scenarios.

Cracking:
The spawned German US-type units are Skorzeny's behind the line units.
I have added a message.

Battered:
Fixed objective

Dinant:
Fixed objectives

Manhay:
Delete remove units trigger (they were used to remove US air units that are no longer used). Same in Mayhem.

Mayhem:
The Germans are in posession of the 6 villages from the start, so I need a scenario end-trigger.
Fixed sec obj.

Campaign updated to v1.2
Thanks for all the help, it was quite a list :D
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Is Deja Bru the ultimate evidence proving we all are in Matrix? 8)
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Hey, I'm watching you. :evil: ( :wink: )
- Bru
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

But I took the blue pill! Or did I... :mrgreen:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Perhaps the real question should be which one of those avatar's Neo and Mr. Anderson?
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Widening the Corridor, v. 1.2

You will get complaints if you leave it like this. You say "Hold at least 10 villages/towns" but this trigger is requiring 11. To match the objective, it should be "Value > 9" so that 10 will qualify:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (176.21 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Plus this condition is saying that the objective can be achieved only in Turn 1? Maybe in some turn >1? Maybe at Scenario Turn Limit? Or do you need this condition at all? It depends on what you are trying to do with this objective.
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (160.22 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
One more thing: Let's say that the German player never achieves this "Hold at least 10 villages/towns" objective. Previously, you have been putting in a U.S. objective to win in that case. Without that here, the result will never be a defeat for the German player, only a draw in the end.

I don't like this trigger either (are you sorry you took me up on my offer to do this, yet? :) ):
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (154.98 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Once again, I don't think this trigger is ever going to fire unless the last move the player makes before the scenario ends is to capture a VP. Turn Start is better for scenario end conditions.
Last edited by Deja Bru on Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Widening the Corridor, v. 1.2, continued

Same idea as above on these two triggers, Erik. You are requiring "Destroy at least 3 . . ." which means 3 itself should qualify. In both triggers, you are actually requiring 4 to be destroyed:
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (183.68 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (185.15 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Last edited by Deja Bru on Thu May 24, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Bastogne Breakout, v. 1.2

Briefing #1: "Intelligence indicates that the Amis have moved a fresh armored division . . ." Amis? Allies?

Heh, I keep repeating myself. You didn't argue last night about Turn Start instead of Capture VP in this situation, so perhaps I am right in all of these instances. Also, no U.S. objective probably means no defeat for the human player is possible, only a draw.
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (152.69 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Here's something interesting. In this scenario, you assign spawned U.S. units to CCR 6 Arm and CCB 6 Arm but those teams and most of the others are Idle and I don't see any Set Up AI Team effects anywhere that change their idle status to actually doing anything:
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
By the way, IIRC, this is the only scenario that has no secondary objectives. I don't think that's a problem in that it only means there will be no distinction between Major and Minor Defeat and Victory.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

HoWC, v. 1.2

Once again, no U.S. objective probably means no defeat for the human player is possible, only a draw.

Bait and switch! Caught you red-handed! Fork over the 20 promised resource points for accomplishing this objective, buddy! :x
Screenshot 9.jpg
Screenshot 9.jpg (157.26 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Just as an aside, and more tutoring of myself than anything else: This trigger above is different from the ones that I have been harping on in other posts. In those, they were calling for a Capture VP event right at End of Scenario, which is unlikely. This trigger is saying, "If a Capture VP event just happened, and the current Turn number is 10 or less (not the exact end of turn/scenario), and Trinal happens to be owned by the Germans, fire trigger and award objective!

The problem with the trigger below is that you have it set up only to fail. How does the player win this primary objective to qualify for victory? My suggestion would be merely to mark the objective as achieved from the beginning so that, if no enemy units make it to Samree, the objective stays achieved and is NOT failed in the end:
Screenshot 12.jpg
Screenshot 12.jpg (176.22 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Two things wrong with this trigger:
Screenshot 10.jpg
Screenshot 10.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
First, with Value >2 you are requiring 3 villages to be held and the objective is to "Hold at least two villages" so 2 should qualify. Second, I gather this is more of a defensive scenario in which the Germans need to hold onto some territory to win this objective. The immediate problem is that the Germans hold four primary VP villages to start the scenario. The moment either side captures any village, primary or secondary, the Germans win this objective as they will still hold at least 2 primary VP villages at that point. I think you want this trigger to be evaluated at Turn Start / Scenario Turn Limit, OR mark this objective as achieved at the beginning of the scenario and failed only if the number of villages held by the Germans falls below 2.
Last edited by Deja Bru on Thu May 24, 2018 2:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
- Bru
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

HoWC, v. 1.2, continued

This trigger and maybe the associated objective have to be looked at as well:
Screenshot 11.jpg
Screenshot 11.jpg (173.62 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
The objective is "Hold all 5 villages" which are defined by the trigger as secondary VP's but the problem is, there are only 4 secondary VP's on the map, labeled (S) by me in this screen print of text_english.txt:
Capture952.jpg
Capture952.jpg (64.48 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
The other VP's are primary (P), four of them, for a total of 8 VP's. Trouble is, there are not 5 secondary VP's on the map for the Germans to hold, so this objective is not achievable. One other thing is that, say there were 5 secondary VP's on the map and the U.S. was holding one of them (Trinal). Say the Germans grabbed Trinal in the early going. Objective immediately won. I don't think that's what you intend. You want the Germans to still be holding the 5 secondary VP's at the end of the scenario, if I am not mistaken.

Oy, these triggers are not going to work, either, for the Stug or the Panther:
Screenshot 15.jpg
Screenshot 15.jpg (180.69 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
What they are saying is, "The first time there is combat anywhere on the map, if these units are still Alive, objective completed!" I think you want this trigger to be evaluated at Turn Start / Scenario Turn Limit, OR mark this objective as achieved at the beginning of the scenario and failed only if the units are destroyed during the scenario.

Well, that's it. I hope I have not worn out my welcome. :roll:
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Fixed the last 3 scenarios in accordance with Master Bru's instructions.

Your're welcome back!
I have a 'finished' Desert campaign (British side) if you like another challenge :D
Deja Bru

Post by Deja Bru »

Erik2 wrote:Fixed the last 3 scenarios in accordance with Master Bru's instructions.

Your're welcome back!
I have a 'finished' Desert campaign (British side) if you like another challenge :D
I'm glad to be welcomed back. I always feel a bit strange picking apart somebody else's work, especially that of your caliber and effort, but if I can help head off those post-release issues and complaints, why not?

And yes, I would welcome the challenge of your British desert campaign. I have been noticing that most of our recent DLC has involved playing the German side. I don't mind it, certainly not from the aspect of some sort of silly nationalism - and I have noticed over the years that once I take over, say, the Japanese side in China, they are "my guys" and their enemies are my enemies - but still, I was wishing that Sandstorm had been from the British perspective.

I'd like to see what you have done in that regard and, for some strange reason, I enjoy pulling apart campaigns and scenarios and doing forensics on them. Weird, wouldn't you say? :roll:
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”