Arracourt is released.

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Arracourt is released.

Post by PoorOldSpike »

GabeKnight wrote:No spec needed. Units with enhanced armour switch (gives the "unreliable" trait, like the German Tiger, BTW)
Fascinating stuff..:)
What's the "unreliable" trait?
And can you explain what Shermans are doing in Japan and China or have I missed something?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

PoorOldSpike wrote:What's the "unreliable" trait?
Wow. I continue to learn about this game after more than two years of looking at it.

When I said above "The tradeoff is less mobility" about the Improvised Armor option on Sherman tanks, I was basing that statement on this:
Capture745.jpg
Capture745.jpg (189.02 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
It turns out that mobility is not the real drawback. Loss of efficiency is. Bebro recently defined the "unreliable" trait as this: "the unreliable trait . . . causes [a unit] to lose efficiency faster than normal." Gabe was one of the guys who were talking about it in this thread: Unreliable too unreliable.

I see how this works by looking in units.csv. When you select that option on a Sherman tank, it switches that unit to a matching one showing the padding on the front of the tank and named with the appendix "_fa." On each of those _fa units, the "unreliable" trait is listed:
Capture744.jpg
Capture744.jpg (147.02 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
This definitely puts a damper on that Improvised Armor thing. A tank with lower efficiency doesn't just move less; it also fights less.

So here is the comparison of improvised armor versus none on the same tank - note the yellow-highlighted defense numbers:
Capture746.jpg
Capture746.jpg (167.04 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
The problem with efficiency may be less urgent if the tank with improvised armor is left in a defensive position, according to this:
Capture747.jpg
Capture747.jpg (207.83 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
but you are discouraged from moving it or attacking with it by the "unreliable trait."
PoorOldSpike wrote:And can you explain what Shermans are doing in Japan and China or have I missed something?
If it's an enemy (Japan), it represents a captured unit. If it's an ally (China), it has to do with Lend Lease, I believe.
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote:Wow. I continue to learn about this game after more than two years of looking at it.
Then how about this? :wink: :)
HiddenFunc.jpg
HiddenFunc.jpg (507.23 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
- Commandos have the "airborne" trait
- Sea cliffs provide the "concealed" effect as ports do
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I'm a veteran of this game and I didn't know about that... (think about screenshots) :shock:
Unfortunately, I played in Rising Sun only once, because I think that the Japanese army is artificially enhanced by non-existent equipment and I don't like fictional scenarios.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote:
bru888 wrote:Wow. I continue to learn about this game after more than two years of looking at it.
Then how about this? :wink: :)
You should have waited until 10 March 2019 to post this, whereupon I would have said, "I continue to learn about this game after more than three years of looking at it."

Although I have a feeling I will be saying it anyway at that time. :roll:
- Bru
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

bru888 wrote:..Wow. I continue to learn about this game after more than two years of looking at it..
I've only had OOB less than 6 months so I've got a lot more catching up to do..:)
Returning to the 'unreliability' feature, we've established that sandbagging Shermans reduces their speed AND efficiency, and Gabe said that the Tiger also has the unreliability feature even though its not sandbagged.
The next question is therefore- How many other tanks in OOB also have the unreliability feature that we don't know about?
I mean, we're going to want to think twice about buying something that's a snowflake in combat!
Coincidentally I noticed the Tigers unreliability in a game of Panzerkrieg>Operation Star that I finished playing yesterday and thought it was a bug or something.
Defending against the Russki onslaught I bought 5 Tigers, they did their job and I won, but I had to nursemaid them every step of the way because their efficiency kept dropping into the orange and red at the drop of a hat.
Heck, I'm just a grunt wargamer, not Nanny McPhee..:)
Here's a screenshot from Op Star that illustrates the thing; on paper my 3 Tigs in the northern sector should have had no trouble holding that village, but two of them have suffered severe efficiency loss after just a couple of rounds of combat and I'm having to evacuate the place before I'm encircled.
(PS- they're the model 'H' version of the Tig because they were the only ones on the purchase screen. There's an 'E' version in the game but it wasn't available, maybe that one doesn't have the unreliability trait, I don't know)

MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

Fascinating stuff! I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far. I for one have been looking forward to some American action on the Western Front for OOB, this will suffice for the time being.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

The OOB for Arracourt has expanded a bit more:

United States

84th Fighter Wing

365th/405th Fighter Groups, each with three squadrons (386th/387th/388th / 509th/510th/511th), each with:
1 P-47D Thunderbolt (6 total)

4th Armored Division

35th/37th Tank Battalions, each with three companies (A/B/C), each with:
3 Sherman M4A2 (18 total)
1 Sherman M4A3 76(W) (6 total)
1 Sherman M4A3E2 Jumbo (6 total)
1 M5A1 Stuart (6 total)

10th/53rd Armored Infantry Battalions, each with three companies (A/B/C), each with:
1 Heavy Infantry '44 (6 total)
1 M3A1 Halftrack (transport)

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion with three companies (A/B/C), each with:
2 M18 Hellcat (6 total)

66th/94th Armored Artillery Battalions, each with:
3 M7 Priest (6 total)

191st Field Artillery Battalion with:
3 155MM M1 Long Tom (3 total)
3 Studebaker Truck (transport)

2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron with:
6 M20 Scout Car (6 total)

Willys MB .50 Cal (1 total)
Major General John S. Wood (assigned)

Germany

5th Panzer Army

11th Panzer Division with six battalions (I/II/III/IV/V/VI), each with:
1 PzKw V Panther G (6 total)
1 PzKw IV H (6 total)
1 StuG III G (6 total)
1 Nashorn (6 total)
1 Hummel (6 total)
1 SdKfz 7/1 (6 total)

25th Panzergrenadier Division with six battalions (I/II/III/IV/V/VI), each with:
1 Heavy Infantry '44 (6 total)
1 SdKfz 251 (transport)

111th/113th Panzer Brigades, each with three battalions (I/II/III), each with:
1 PzKw V Panther G (6 total)
1 PzKw IV H (6 total)
1 StuG III G (6 total)

614th Flak Battalion with:
3 88MM Flak 37 AT (3 total)
3 SdKfz 7 (transport)

SdKfz 222 (1 total)
Gen. Hasso von Manteuffel (assigned)

--------------------------------------------

I'm looking to get version 2.0 out with this OOB soon.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Arracourt new version 2.0 uploaded:

- Both sides now have resource points to start with and income per turn.
- I altered the OOB and expanded it to include armored infantry and recon units. All units now have historical names.
- Forces are more logically arranged at scenario start. Americans are halted in a salient but with coherent organization and Germans are approaching along roads.
- U.S. airpower is now included but without being overwhelming and ruining the challenge for the U.S. player. The German side was provided with mobile AA guns to balance.
- Corrected the error in talking about short-barreled Sherman tanks in the briefing while using only a later long-barreled version. Now there are three types of Sherman tanks in the scenario but most of them are still the short-barreled M4A2 which is historically correct.
- Provided supply in all towns across the map to discourage behind the lines excursions just to cut off supply from a main base.
- Adjusted secondary objectives to correspond with the amounts of German armored units in the scenario.
- Created a secondary mission to kill Gen. Hasso von Manteuffel to break German morale (eliminate resource income).

Now what I need help on is gameplay balance and proper number of turns. Any suggestions on those would be appreciated.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Heh, this reminds me of what happens at work. As soon as I hit "Send" on an e-mail message, I see a typo or I remember something that I left out.

In this case, I remembered what Erik had said about this situation:
Capture760.jpg
Capture760.jpg (302.81 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
A road must cross a river "cleanly" for a bridge to form, else the bridge is out. I rearranged the scenery accordingly:
Capture761.jpg
Capture761.jpg (286.04 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Then, as I am taking a last look around, I discovered the reason for the hashtag (#) in objective descriptions. Being the neatnik that I am, I would erase these if there was nothing to be said but that would make the blue question mark and "no reward for this objective" appear. The hashtag is a placeholder so that no blue question mark appears, which is, well, neater.

Arracourt new version 2.1 uploaded:

- Corrected bridge crossings outside of Arracourt and in two other places on the map.
- Used hashtag (#) to indicate there are no descriptions for several secondary objectives.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

"Bruce."

"Yes, Bruce?"

"I played through your Arracourt version 2.1 and I have some suggestions."

"Sure, go ahead. Shoot. Heh."

"Your Germans are too weak now that the U.S. has resources. You gave the Germans less than half the amount that you gave the Germans. The U.S. has too much of an advantage now. Equalize them."

"Yes, Bruce. Anything else?"

"Yeah. Your Germans are also a bit on the passive side. The only chance they have is to overwhelm the U.S. forces before the Americans can get consolidated and organized. Ratchet up German aggression!"

"Jawohl. Thanks for the suggestions."

"I'm not done yet, dummy. Those 88 Flak AT guns you gave the Germans? They're worthless. Swap them out for some legitimate long-range artillery to match the Americans' Long Toms."

"Done. I'll get on this right away. Uh, you are done, yes?"

"For the moment. Bruce. I expect improvements or I will be back!"

"Yes, Bruce." [Mumbles something under his breath.]

"What was that? I can hear you, you know."

--------------------------------------------

Arracourt new version 2.2 uploaded:

- Increased and equalized resources on both sides: 500 to start, 25 per turn.
- Maximized German AI aggression.
- Swapped three 15cm sFH18 artillery for three 88 Flak 37 AT guns.
- Bru
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I've started to play version 2.2 (latest I suppose), I'm after 6 turns.
I like it, a good slaughter :D
In my opinion, too much Hummels (maybe 700 of them were produced throughout the war) annoy me because they attack my Hellcats by indirect fire... :P :mrgreen:
You came up with it very well, I must admit
When will Thunderbolts appear?

Everything is great, except that you are talking to yourself. :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

kondi754 wrote:I've started to play version 2.2 (latest I suppose), I'm after 6 turns.
I like it, a good slaughter :D
In my opinion, too much Hummels (maybe 700 of them were produced throughout the war) annoy me because they attack my Hellcats by indirect fire... :P :mrgreen:
You came up with it very well, I must admit
When will Thunderbolts appear?

Everything is great, except that you are talking to yourself. :wink:
Thanks, kondi. Keep playing, please. I've got to know about the game balance and the number of turns.

I hear you about the Hummels but I'm looking for armored artillery power for the Germans in this scenario. Maybe a bit too many but remember, we removed the Elefants in favor of them.

Thunderbolts appear on 21 September, just as in the real battle. That was when the skies cleared.

We talk to ourselves because Bruce and I like each other when we are not smacking ourselves around. We get like that when we do too much scenario designing in OOB. :roll:
- Bru
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I will continue to play this version, although there is already some fix.
I think that it would be possible to increase the amount of resources for the US Army a bit.
I have few left after six turns.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Thanks. So, you are saying that there may still be too few resources in the scenario?

The reason I am asking is that, with a preponderance of armored units, the amount of resources needed to do repairs is relatively high. So, I currently have BOTH sides start with 500 RP and receive 25 RP per turn. (Remember, the theme of this scenario is whether the Americans' greater battle experience compared to the German forces at this stage of the war would offset their weaker armor, as IRL; that is why I tried to equalize the number of units and resources.)

Is gameplay relatively balanced in this situation with both sides receiving the same RP's? (Until the U.S. gets the German general, that is.) Do you think I should bump the RP's per turn up to 50?
- Bru
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Do not change anything at this point, I have to rethink.

Below are screenshots with the situation on the battlefield
Take a look at this
I don't want to talk about the amount of resources because I used the tactics of "exchanging blows" (like Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Kinshasa in 1974 :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVseoF1-p3M

I think that I will win (like Ali), the more that my fighters will appear in a moment. :twisted:
I'm really having fun, Bru
Attachments
objectives.jpg
objectives.jpg (185.82 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

kondi754 wrote:I'm really having fun, Bru
Thanks. That is the most important aspect and most effective measure to evaluate the success of this scenario, especially coming from a player of your caliber. Please keep me posted about the amount of resources (on both sides) and number of turns if you have any further thoughts.
- Bru
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Thank You Bru for your kind words about my caliber... :D

Ok. I've done it
Below screenshots

I think that amount of resources is ok on both side, I suppose that most of players will be play cautiosly (some of them on lower difficulty level), so it will be enough for them
I do not know if it was intended, but the number of air Exit Points is too small in relation to the number of squadrons
I'm sorry Bru but I also found 2 crossroads on the rivers :twisted:
I managed to almost kill Manteuffel at the end but he escaped me :mrgreen:
Attachments
graphic bug.jpg
graphic bug.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
win.jpg
win.jpg (165.62 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
Last edited by kondi754 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

Certainly looks interesting and i might even give it a whirl.
The problem i have with user created campaigns is that it becomes a "whack-a-mole" kind of scenario. with any enemy units, often solo, beelining for either victory points or just supply point in general, kamikaze like.
I will try out this one though, and i hope that i will be left with a less frustrating feeling of not breaking stronghols or enemy ambushes, or anything that takes combined arms to get it done, but constantly either leaving large chunks of army behind or guarding every single entry point into territory that is secured. Yes there should be some units left on defense here and there, but for me playing on higher difficulties, 4 usually, and 5 when i want to torture myself ;) to much army is left behind which makes an attacker kind of weak because there are so few attacking units.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

The scenario is that you have to defend yourself using basically only tanks, tank destroyers and motorized artillery against a strong, very mobile and aggressive enemy.
Try it, it's worth trying. 8)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”