All Units and some Buttons Not Selectable

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ChuckF
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

All Units and some Buttons Not Selectable

Post by ChuckF »

I've been playing Order of Battle (via Steam) since May of 2015 and everything worked fine up to sometime after May of 2017, when I discovered all units and at least the "Options" button are no longer selectable from the main game or any of the DLC modules. I purchased Burma Road and Panzerkrieg on Sunday, hoping for a fix, but it solved nothing. I just uninstalled everything and re-downloaded and installed Order of Battle: US Pacific, all by itself, and I still have the same issue.
I was hoping someone may have some ideas about what is wrong. I really enjoy this game, and now its unplayable for me. And of course, it stings even worse, because I purchased two new DLCs and got nothing out of them.
To my recollection, no hardware or major OS changes were done, before, during or after I started having this problem.

Windows 10 Pro (64bit) Version 1709 OS Build 16299.248 on SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1156 95W BX80605I5750 Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD7 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
4 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL (16Gb)

1920x1080 Display on three monitors using Geforce GTX 970

Steam v. 017 from Dec. 15, 2017
Bitdefender Total Security 2016 (Current)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: All Units and some Buttons Not Selectable

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ChuckF wrote:..all units and at least the "Options" button are no longer selectable from the main game or any of the DLC modules..
Hi mate, can you explain a bit more exactly which buttons and things are not working for you?
I bought Panzerkrieg recently and it seems to be okay, once I learnt exactly which buttons to press on the campaigns and scenarios selection screen in the correct sequence, a bit like trying to dial the 7th quadrant on a Stargate to get in..:)
(PS- it happens in Panzer Corps too, I think it's because all the many DLC's in Pz Cps and OOB make it slightly difficult to navigate around them at first)
Last edited by PoorOldSpike on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

Hi there, some hotkeys for ya may be what you need.
Escape is options menu. F for force menu and P for purchase menu.
I am not sure what you mean with the all army button, but i assume it is the force selection screen.
I hope you get to enjoy Panzerkrieg and Burma Road, i sure did mate.
ChuckF

Post by ChuckF »

Sorry, if I was not clear. I can do everything up to opening a scenario. I can even purchase new units prior to starting. But after that, nothing on the map is click'able'. I can't select hexes, units, anything. I can cycle through them with the next unit buttons, even see move ranges, but I can't move them. The map is essentially frozen. Additionally, the Options button is not selectable. I can mouse click on it all day, and nothing happens. I have to ctrl-alt-del and end the games .exe, to get out of the game.

The Options button, seems to be the only button that is not working, but I may have missed something. I don't think so though.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ChuckF wrote:..I can even purchase new units prior to starting. But after that, nothing on the map is click'able'. I can't select hexes, units, anything. I can cycle through them with the next unit buttons, even see move ranges, but I can't move them. The map is essentially frozen..
I could be wrong but it sounds like you're still in the Deployment Phase.
Click the hourglass icon at bottom right to start the game and see if that frees everything up.
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

Steam has its merits but I am old school I played games when Dos 6.22 was the ultimate. In the event a game can be used - (played enjoyed with out Steam) I always buy the game in that fashion - I hate the idea that in theory I must be connected to the internet to enjoy the game or go to off line mode and hope that works and or when playing it via Steam then Steam is running in the background slowing my pc down potentially AND it seems the refresh rate can change or get tweaked unusually at times if one goes in the midst of the game to a steam forum or something but this is just my biased opinion which nowadays may more than likely conflict with the norm which therefore labels me as a psychopath, someone unworthy to play the game, and an overall racist and bigot who should not be allowed to have a thought about anything. I still contend though I am most fortunate and blessed because irregardless of world collapse, economic upheaval, internet crash, etc. as long as the sun keeps working and I can charge up my battery I can play for awhile every day Order of Battle I can even reinstall it from scratch and maybe not have the latest patch unless I saved those too but I can relax during the chaos and enjoy.
ChuckF

Post by ChuckF »

I have to repeat, I’ve been playing this game for some time (700 hours of gameplay), and I know how it works and how to navigate. And I'll also repeat - I’ve lost the ability to place purchased units, select units (with the mouse) and move units on the map. Along with that, the options in the splash screen is not coming up and I cannot escape or use the option button to leave the game. All other button events and mouse clicks "seem" to be working.

I did find in the forum where someone had a somewhat similar situation and said it had to do with the "selection of a two button mouse" but nothing further was posted on how it was resolved. I've searched for a config file in the install folder and can't find anything that would allow me to edit a "mouse type". I went ahead and emailed slitherine support, but if anyone has seen this before and resolved it, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ChuckF wrote:...Along with that, the options in the splash screen is not coming up and I cannot escape or use the option button to leave the game. All other button events and mouse clicks "seem" to be working..
Something like that glitch also occasionally happens out of the blue in Armed Assault III, when the clickable options panels go either off the screen or partially off, and any panels that are still on the screen don't respond unless you click to one side of them.
It's some geeky thing to do with the monitor screen resolution, video card reso and selected game reso not matching up, but if I'm lucky I can usually fix it by juggling each of the resos so they're all singing from the same song sheet.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

ChuckF wrote:Sorry, if I was not clear. I can do everything up to opening a scenario. I can even purchase new units prior to starting. But after that, nothing on the map is click'able'. I can't select hexes, units, anything. I can cycle through them with the next unit buttons, even see move ranges, but I can't move them. The map is essentially frozen. Additionally, the Options button is not selectable. I can mouse click on it all day, and nothing happens. I have to ctrl-alt-del and end the games .exe, to get out of the game.

The Options button, seems to be the only button that is not working, but I may have missed something. I don't think so though.
Hm, you use the latest Steam version of OoB (there is an open beta right now)?
The only unusual thing in your hardware setup I can see is the three monitor thing. Have you tried running it on a single one? (Remember vaguely somebody had a really exotic multimonitor problem around here.) Screen resolution reset?
I know, these are just wild shots in the dark.
You also seem to have a good grasp on your hardware, so I'm guessing it is not outdated drivers.
Somebody from tech support will take a look. You should also post your dxdiag and output log files (zipped).
In the tech support forum is a thread about this.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 72&t=64167
ChuckF

Post by ChuckF »

Moderator (Andy2012) - You very well may be correct. I did have it set for multi-monitor a long while ago. It was probably my own modification that was my undoing. I just assumed that when I deleted the entire game and reinstalled, that would have cared for that detail. The settings must persist, even after removing the game. I did get a response back from Slitherine that corrected the issue and I'm finally back up and running. WOOHOO!

RESOLUTION - Rename the "Settings" folder that can be found in the Windows documents folder as "_Settings", at: ...\Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2
ChuckF

Post by ChuckF »

And Everyone that contributed... Thank you. Taking the time to respond about this issue, right or wrong... makes me have hope for humanity. ;-)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”