Enemy (AI) Commanders

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Alexander1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Enemy (AI) Commanders

Post by Alexander1 »

1) Does AI have ability to have Commanders?

2) Also is AI able to see player's commanders and prioritize targeting of these units?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Enemy (AI) Commanders

Post by bru888 »

Alexander1 wrote:1) Does AI have ability to have Commanders?

2) Also is AI able to see player's commanders and prioritize targeting of these units?
I'm no expert but I will say that these are two very good questions.

My educated guess is that the AI does NOT enjoy the use of commanders. I have never seen any evidence of this in the game and I would doubt that it would be so and not shown somehow during game play.

My even less educated guess is that the AI does NOT target units with commanders. I have never seen any evidence of this, either.

I'd welcome further, more educated commentary, however.
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

I've seen something like this more than once, I think:
Screenshot 23.jpg
Screenshot 23.jpg (455.25 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
It's the general inside a recon unit (Chongquinq scenario, Morning Sun DLC), but I don't know if he has a sphere of influence or even some attack/defensive value changes..
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Ah yes, very good. I forgot about that capability in scenario designing (I've done so myself in my own scenarios :oops: ). But your last sentence was what I was focused on; that is, I don't think the AI enjoys the benefits of such leaders and commanders as does the human player. For example, has anyone seen an "influence" grid around such a commander assigned to an AI unit? Whenever I assigned one in my scenarios, it was for dramatic effect and not to bestow additional benefits to the AI.
- Bru
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Actually, you probably have forgotten bru as Blitzkrieg was awhile back, but the Night Witches (soviet female pilots with old planes; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches ) do have a commander! That's the only one I've met.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

13obo wrote:Actually, you probably have forgotten bru as Blitzkrieg was awhile back, but the Night Witches (soviet female pilots with old planes; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches ) do have a commander! That's the only one I've met.
Believe me, I have not forgotten Ms. Kasyanova, whom I first encountered in beta and fell immediately in love with. :|
Capture579.jpg
Capture579.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
But I believe the question now is, when she as AI is flying AGAINST you as human player, does she have those enhanced capabilities shown here? (She does not need them against me, though. I just let her shoot away, absorb her bullets, and smile adoringly. :roll:)
- Bru
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

LOL! I shot her down mercilessly as soon as I read the event. Sadly, there are not many gentlemen left such as you, kind sir!
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Commanders also work for the AI with their bonuses, at least on the attached unit but not that sure about the radius. Even on player units, the radius effect isn't always correctly updated or shown.
There is most likely no special behavior coded to hunt down player heroes. I think that's not really that necessary with the injury-mechanics that have been introduced about a year go.
The most annoying commander in service to the AI is indeed Chiang Kai-Shek in last Morning Sun scenario. How I hated him on my first playthrough when he simply outraced my units with his puny SdKfz 222 and left the map, possibly with a snicker, making me feel like a total looser of the campaign.
On my following attempts, I made sure to stay away from him until I have completely surrounded him first. :twisted:

Kai-Shek is a lackluster in Morning Sun as Supreme Commander of the Chinese forces:
range = 0
weapon = infantry_attack, 1
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote:How I hated him on my first playthrough when he simply outraced my units with his puny SdKfz 222 and left the map, possibly with a snicker, making me feel like a total looser of the campaign.
On my following attempts, I made sure to stay away from him until I have completely surrounded him first. :twisted:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Good old times...
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

As other posts indicate AI commanders are possible indeed, but have to be added to AI units during the scn design process.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”