UNIT SCALE - qusetion

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

mmihai9352
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: UNIT SCALE - qusetion

Post by mmihai9352 »

kondi754 wrote:1 inf/hv inf unit - division - (17.000 men's) - OK it depends on nation but OK, Soviets inf division count 6000-8000 men's
1 eng/commandos/specials unit - battalion - (300-700 men's - OK) OK
1 tank unit - regiment - (about 100 tanks?) 100-200 depends on period of war, Soviet used tank brigades (was smaller - 50 tank)
1 artillery (at/aa also) unit - regiment (24 guns?) 24-48, it depends on nation
1 recon unit - battalion/abteilung - (300-700 men's - OK) OK
1 air unit - wing/regiment/geschwader - (100 planes? ) OK but Soviet used division, regiment was smaller like German gruppe (30-40)

and how many kilometers has ONE HEX? :)
I measured the from the (2 scenario in BLitzkrieg and I see that one hex is 5km it is ok?
For example from Sochaczew city to Warsaw city is 70 km = 14 hex I think so, but consult this with Erik

Please correct me if something is wrong...
Thanks for the clarifications. This is great stuff.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Supplement:
light/medium artillery regiment - Wehrmacht: 48 guns or howitzers, other armies 36-48
The rule is: the larger caliber, the less guns
heavy artillery or heavy aa/at regiment - 24 guns (i.e. Soviet SU's heavy regiment counted only 14 vehicles)
paratroopers unit - battalion too
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

thanks KOndi. Pelase belive me Im thinking how to fix the problem to be more historical in OOb but still with very good gameplaying. Soon Ill put my scenario
AceDuceTrey
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by AceDuceTrey »

I like most of kondi's scale except for the infantry and tanks:
Infantry should be regiments/brigades. Divisions, especially mobile ones (motorized/mechanized) had their own Recon (Aufklarungs abteilung), anti-tank, and anti-aircraft battalions AND an Artillery regiment. With 3 infantry regiments
their average frontage was ~10 Km with a depth of about 5 km. This would give most artillery a range of 1 hex and all units a spotting range of 1 hex. also the infantry's fire power in the game falls way short of what a full division should have.
The rgt/bde model would better suit the game's infantry and their support weapons fire power as well as the game's artillery ranges.
I think tanks should be battalions/abteilungs like the other units their firepower and defenses are scaled with such as anti-tanks. Tank battalion frontages were also equivalent to infantry regiments putting the hex size/diameter at about
2 miles or 3+ kilometers.
Using German 1939 TO&Es a Motorized Infantrie Div would consist of 8 units: 1 Recon(222?). 3 Infantry(hvy?), 1 Spt Wpn(leIG), 1 AT(towed 37mm), 1 AA(towed 20mm), 1 Art Rgt(105mm leFH)
A Panzer Div 9 units: 1 Recon(232?). 1 Infantry(hvy), 3 lePz(1 PzI,2PzII?), 1 mPz(PzIII/IV), 1 AT(towed 37mm), 1 AA(towed 20mm), 1 Art Rgt(105mm leFH)
A problem game designers have is that most larger units/regiments (Infantry, Armor, Artillery) had combinations of weapons. For example: the 4 German tank Bns were typically combined into 2 ~balanced regiments of 2 Bns with each having PzIs, PzIIs, and PzIII/IVs. Artillery Rgts had 2 or 3 Bns of 105mm and 1 Bn of 150mm. While support weapons Bns (IGs, ATs, AAs, etc,) were habitually broken down into much smaller "platoons" to support multiple units.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

AceDuceTrey wrote:I like most of kondi's scale except for the infantry and tanks:
Infantry should be regiments/brigades. Divisions, especially mobile ones (motorized/mechanized) had their own Recon (Aufklarungs abteilung), anti-tank, and anti-aircraft battalions AND an Artillery regiment. With 3 infantry regiments
their average frontage was ~10 Km with a depth of about 5 km. This would give most artillery a range of 1 hex and all units a spotting range of 1 hex. also the infantry's fire power in the game falls way short of what a full division should have.
The rgt/bde model would better suit the game's infantry and their support weapons fire power as well as the game's artillery ranges.
I think tanks should be battalions/abteilungs like the other units their firepower and defenses are scaled with such as anti-tanks. Tank battalion frontages were also equivalent to infantry regiments putting the hex size/diameter at about
2 miles or 3+ kilometers.
Using German 1939 TO&Es a Motorized Infantrie Div would consist of 8 units: 1 Recon(222?). 3 Infantry(hvy?), 1 Spt Wpn(leIG), 1 AT(towed 37mm), 1 AA(towed 20mm), 1 Art Rgt(105mm leFH)
A Panzer Div 9 units: 1 Recon(232?). 1 Infantry(hvy), 3 lePz(1 PzI,2PzII?), 1 mPz(PzIII/IV), 1 AT(towed 37mm), 1 AA(towed 20mm), 1 Art Rgt(105mm leFH)
A problem game designers have is that most larger units/regiments (Infantry, Armor, Artillery) had combinations of weapons. For example: the 4 German tank Bns were typically combined into 2 ~balanced regiments of 2 Bns with each having PzIs, PzIIs, and PzIII/IVs. Artillery Rgts had 2 or 3 Bns of 105mm and 1 Bn of 150mm. While support weapons Bns (IGs, ATs, AAs, etc,) were habitually broken down into much smaller "platoons" to support multiple units.
I fully agree with you, but my conversion scale is based on the observations of the campaigns made by the Artistocrats team.
I think even underestimated tank unit, which, however, should be the equivalent of division.
If we would base on your scale, there should be at least 24 :!: tanks units in Belgium scn (Blitzkrieg DLC) and minimum of 40-50 :!: tanks units during the Battle of Kiev in 1941.
These numbers are unrealistic in my opinion.
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

This is the problem with the scenarios! I was shocked by the OPFOR in the Blitzkrieg Campaign. I was able to solve this (in part) by drastically reducing the support requirements for the units in the unit file.
All infantry =1; hvy inf and paras =2. For armored fighting vehicles I used the scale: Maus =7; PzVIB(King) =6; PzVI(Tiger) =5; PzV(Panther),PzIVJ =4; PzIII(5.0cmL60),PzIVF2-H =3;PzIII(G-H),PzIV(F1) =2; all others =1.
This gives you a fighting chance against the thousands of enemy "divisions".

Return to “Order of Battle Series”