UNIT SCALE - qusetion

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

UNIT SCALE - qusetion

Post by calmhatchery »

Hello. I wonder How can one infantry unit in OOB can be treated by recalculating to the real units in II WW?
I read that one typical German division in 1939 has 17734 soldiers let's say 18.0000 :)

1, Trupp (section) - a small group dedicated to specific tasks, eg Nachrichtentrupp - a communications unit attached to the battalion headquarters, permanent (Funktrupp - radio branch) or ad hoc (Aufklärungstrupp - branch / reconnaissance patrol)
2, Gruppe (team) - the smallest fixed unit in infantry formation, usually composed of 8 to 12 men under the command of a senior lieutenant or non-commissioned officer; Her biggest weapon was a machine gun or two ranks on which all tactics were based; It was sometimes used as a shortcut for Kampfgruppe
3, Zug (platoon) - composed of 3 teams and a staff, commanded by a senior non-commissioned officer or junior officer; The light mortar was the main support; Zug artillery consisted of two guns, usually two platoons consisting of batteries; Armored troops consisted generally of 5 tanks
4, Company (company) - composed of 3 platoons and a staff, commanded by Oberleutnant or Hauptmann; In the field artillery, the Kompanie was a battery, under the command of Hauptmann; the companies were numbered in Arabic numerals in a regiment; In armored companies the company consisted of 4 platoons and a staff
5, Batallion (batalion) - The battalion consisted of 3 companies and a support company (a smuggler company) with machine guns and mortars and a staff with a small communications and supply department; In the artillery, cavalry and armored forces, the term Abteilung was used; In 1941 Panzerabteilung consisted of 3 light and 1 heavy companies (suitably equipped with Panzer III and IV), a reconnaissance unit from Panzer II and a commanding officer tank; In standard artillery Abteilung consisted of 3 batteries, including 12 guns, usually commanded by Major, occasionally by Oberstleutnant; The battalions were numbered in Roman numerals in the regiment; Separate battalions (assigned to, for example, divisions) were numbered with Arabic numerals, corresponding to unit numbers of units
6, Regiment (infantry) - consisted of 3 battalions, a support company and a staff, while in artillery of 4 Abteilung (3 light and 1 heavy); The regiment consisted generally of 14 companies, 12 in 3 battalions (9 infantry, 3 support), an anti-tank company and an infantry company as support for the entire regiment; usually led by Oberst;
7, Brigade (Brigade) - in 1941 it consisted of 2 regiment of motorized infantry in armored divisions; usually led by Oberst or Generalmajor; The war was becoming increasingly rarer
8, Division - consisted of 3 regiments and regiments of artillery - infantry divisions or brigades, regiments of tanks and artillery; usually commanded by Generalmajor, or Generalleutnanta; in the German army it was the smallest unit able to operate independently, without additional support; It also included Panzerjägerbatallion, Aufklärungsabteilung, Sappers and smaller units: military post,
9, Korps (corps) - a group of 3 to 4 divisions with their own staff; the corps of the Corps was subjected to much more communications units than the division staff and had a much larger role in supplying subordinate units; Except for divisions, Heerestruppen could control individual units; usually commanded by Generalleutnanta:
10, Arko (Artilleriekommandeur) - independent artillery command with numerous support units (communications, fire management) to control artillery units at supra-level for better fire concentration; usually about the status of a division or brigade; most often assigned to the corps or army;
11, Armee - A group of 2 or more corps, usually commanded by General der (insert type of weapon, eg Kavallerie) or Generaloberst, army staff had numerous units of communications and provided logistical support:

company of tanks - is about 20 tanks

My question is: How can we interpret one unit of infantry in this game? How many soldiers are in one unit for example infantry ? What is the scale of the units?
Please help and answer.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: UNIT SCALE - qusetion

Post by kondi754 »

It seems tho me that:
1 inf/hv inf unit - division
1 eng/commandos/specials unit - battalion
1 tank unit - regiment
1 artillery (at/aa also) unit - regiment
1 recon unit - battalion/abteilung
1 air unit - wing/regiment/geschwader

Naval units:
1 unit - 1 ship
Last edited by kondi754 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Thanks Kondi!!!! :) I need this for my custom campaign :) and to be know when Im playing in official DLC's
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

calmhatchery wrote:Thanks Kondi!!!! :) I need this for my custom campaign :) and to be know when Im playing in official DLC's
Your welcome :)
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

@calm
1 eng/commandos/paratroopers unit - battalion, not brigade (after a long thought) :wink:
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

yess I forgot to ask about this. Big thanks Kondi !!! :)
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

kondi754 wrote:It seems tho me that:
1 inf/hv inf unit - division 9 about
1 eng/commandos/specials unit - battalion ()
1 tank unit - regiment (about 100 tanks
1 artillery (at/aa also) unit - regiment
1 recon unit - battalion/abteilung
1 air unit - wing/regiment/geschwader

Naval units:
1 unit - 1 ship
Hey Kondi. Can you give an approximate number of units?

1 inf/hv inf unit - division - (17.000 men's) - OK
1 eng/commandos/specials unit - battalion - (300-700 men's - OK)
1 tank unit - regiment - (about 100 tanks?)
1 artillery (at/aa also) unit - regiment (24 guns?)
1 recon unit - battalion/abteilung - (300-700 men's - OK)
1 air unit - wing/regiment/geschwader - (100 planes? )

and how many kilometers has ONE HEX? :)
I measured the from the (2 scenario in BLitzkrieg and I see that one hex is 5km it is ok?
For example from Sochaczew city to Warsaw city is 70 km = 14 hex

Please correct me if something is wrong...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

1 inf/hv inf unit - division - (17.000 men's) - OK it depends on nation but OK, Soviets inf division count 6000-8000 men's
1 eng/commandos/specials unit - battalion - (300-700 men's - OK) OK
1 tank unit - regiment - (about 100 tanks?) 100-200 depends on period of war, Soviet used tank brigades (was smaller - 50 tank)
1 artillery (at/aa also) unit - regiment (24 guns?) 24-48, it depends on nation
1 recon unit - battalion/abteilung - (300-700 men's - OK) OK
1 air unit - wing/regiment/geschwader - (100 planes? ) OK but Soviet used division, regiment was smaller like German gruppe (30-40)

and how many kilometers has ONE HEX? :)
I measured the from the (2 scenario in BLitzkrieg and I see that one hex is 5km it is ok?
For example from Sochaczew city to Warsaw city is 70 km = 14 hex I think so, but consult this with Erik

Please correct me if something is wrong...[/quote]
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

thanks KONDI!! what about the size oh the REcon motorised unit? in OOB can you answer for this? Sorry for my asking but I would like to be very close to my custom scenarios if in terms of proportions
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

calmhatchery wrote:thanks KONDI!! what about the size oh the REcon motorised unit? in OOB can you answer for this? Sorry for my asking but I would like to be very close to my custom scenarios if in terms of proportions
25 armored cars (1 company) + 50 halftracks (2 companies), which took 300 soldiers <--- Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung (armoured reconnaissance battalion)
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Big thanks KONDI!! . Do you know good a scenario editor? Im aksing because I started my first time with the first scenario and I have a some question. but Im very close to the original forces in my first scenario like in historical based on this size of the units :) in the game...it is very interesting!!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

calmhatchery wrote:Big thanks KONDI!! . Do you know good a scenario editor?
No, unfortunately I'm not a modder. :(
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

but thank you for your patiente and help!!!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

calmhatchery wrote:but thank you for your patiente and help!!!
I'm glad I could help.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

soon the first scenario will be ready. You can try if you want. Iwill make it available,,
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

ok, thanks
will try
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

It will be the first scenario of IJA campaign. :) but there is a lot of work!!!
1. Khasan Lake
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

bru888 updated his excellent scenario editor here (a few posts down in the thread):
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p645723
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

thanks Erik!!!!
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »