Wanted: U.S. ARMY Commander

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Wanted: U.S. ARMY Commander

Post by bru888 »

So far in my two scenarios, I have been able to get by with using U.S. Navy commanders in charge but now I feel the need for a U.S. Army commander. I am faced with these choices:
Capture059.jpg
Capture059.jpg (189.88 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Would you feel particularly compelled to salute any of these fellows as your battle commander? (I left out Sarge from boot camp because, as a battle-hardened veteran later in the war, you may feel compelled to do much more than salute if you ever met up with Sarge again.)

Can we get a respectable-looking U.S. Army commander some time soon?
- Bru
bru888

Re: Wanted: U.S. ARMY Commander

Post by bru888 »

Oh, wait a minute. As a result of putting this request together, I have noticed for the first time that number 5 has some stars, at least. You, sir, are appointed to command! :)
commander_5.png
commander_5.png (123.46 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
Still, we could use some more higher-ranking U.S. Army brass, please.

[EDIT: I'm lucky I did find this guy. It's a brigadier general that I am looking for and so the one-star does nicely.]
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Hi bru888,
I found an respectable-looking american officer :
366px-Donald_Trump_NYMA.jpg
366px-Donald_Trump_NYMA.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
If he does not satisfy you, it is enough to tell to him : "You're Fired :!: "
jmiller23
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jmiller23 »

Ha that's awesome!!
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

What would be the statistics for such a commander ? Positive or negative ?
Donald.png
Donald.png (106.8 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Guys, please stay away from politics in this forum. The focus of your amusement is a very controversial topic on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, to say the least. I have no problem with it but you are mocking the president of the United States and some folks may have a strong objection to your doing so. Things are bad enough over here right now. Thanks.

[Instead, why not go to my scenarios thread and wonder about The Aleutian Crisis, soon to be released? Shameless self-promotion. :wink: ]
- Bru
Tempest555
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tempest555 »

Tried my luck with General Maurice Rose [led from the front and died there].
My modest effort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rose
Attachments
commander_9.png
commander_9.png (98.35 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Tempest555 wrote:Tried my luck with General Maurice Rose [led from the front and died there].
My modest effort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rose
This is interesting in a couple of ways.

First, yes, you can include anybody's picture in popup events and you can assign anybody's name to units but what you cannot do is get that custom picture assigned to the unit as well (unless you turn a scenario into a mod, of course). I wanted my general to have both but for that you need to use one of the commander avatars in the standard game.

This is what I mean; I used the commander pic for a briefing popup (grayscale effect, and I blurred his statements here to avoid giving out a spoiler):
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (176.49 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
But I also have him assigned to a unit in the game and I wanted the faces to be the same, of course. That is why I am glad I found the one American general in with the standard commander avatars that come with the game:
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
The second interesting thing about your post is the coincidence that I noted when I read General Rose's biography on Wikipedia. The article says "Rose was the highest-ranking American killed by enemy fire in the European Theater of Operations during the war. (Lieutenant General Lesley J. McNair was killed by friendly fire in Normandy in July 1944.)"

What I am working on is set in Alaska and I really wanted to use General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. - his name, along with the commander avatar above - because Buckner actually did command in Alaska during the war but my rule of plausibility came into play in that he died in action on Okinawa before the time of my scenario. I could not stretch that in good conscience. The coincidence is that, according to Wikipedia, Buckner as a lieutenant general was the highest-ranking U.S. military officer lost to enemy fire during World War II.

Instead, I went with Brigadier General Benjamin Talley, a very interesting and important officer in that part of the world at the time, although he and that theater of war are largely forgotten today.
- Bru
Tempest555
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tempest555 »

I'm embarrassed; I forgot about General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr.
Talley would work.

Lawton Collins you can use in either Theater since he was one of the few Generals that served Pacific and Europe. 2 Star later given temporary rank of 3. But he wasn't in Alaska. Talley is a better choice.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Tempest555 wrote:I'm embarrassed; I forgot about General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr.
Talley would work.

Lawton Collins you can use in either Theater since he was one of the few Generals that served Pacific and Europe. 2 Star later given temporary rank of 3. But he wasn't in Alaska. Talley is a better choice.
You've heard of Talley before?
- Bru
Tempest555
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tempest555 »

No never heard of him.
Bruckner I have heard of and read about him.
And I have read about the Alaska campaign.
But Talley is totally unknown to me. But given the bio you provided I believe he would work. Supposedly the smartest officers in the US Army were in Artillery and Engineers.
Given that Alaska was pretty desolate and distant I would think you would want someone who knows about building and staging areas.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Tempest555 wrote:No never heard of him.
Bruckner I have heard of and read about him.
And I have read about the Alaska campaign.
But Talley is totally unknown to me. But given the bio you provided I believe he would work. Supposedly the smartest officers in the US Army were in Artillery and Engineers.
Given that Alaska was pretty desolate and distant I would think you would want someone who knows about building and staging areas.
Well, to be honest, he was the ONLY army commander in Alaska that I could find online after I gave up on Buckner AND he was a brigadier general (shhhh . . . he was promoted to that rank only in the 1950's) and it so happens that the only army general included in with OOB army commanders is a brigadier general, so I said THAT's my guy! :)
- Bru
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Is that a sneak peak at the Aleutian crisis I see :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

best75 wrote:Is that a sneak peak at the Aleutian crisis I see :D
That's very perceptive of you! :roll:
- Bru
jmiller23
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jmiller23 »

how about some of the obvious ones? forgive me if I misspell anything.

1. col Creighton Abrams
2. gen " jumping" Jim Gavin
3. the soldiers general Omar Bradley
4. what would it be without a chance of getting Patton?
5. Major Richard Winters
6. LT Audey Murphy

anyway a few of those might be pretty neat
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Also wanted are more British naval commanders. I've been through the list of current commanders in the game and I believe this fellow is the only British sea-faring man among them:
commander_87.png
commander_87.png (114.15 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
He doesn't even have a name when you call him up in the editor, merely "commander_87." It's just as well, because he looks like a tug boat captain.

As it is, I needed to press poor old Karel Doorman into service as British Commodore Henry Harwood! :roll:
commander_62.png
commander_62.png (114.14 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think we need a new British campaign before we see more British unit types and commanders.
It look like Africa is next, but that campaign may be spelled with a 'k' and thus follow in the current teutonic tradition.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

There could be something coming relating to Brits and French Resistance:
The Home_Guard unit and Home Guard spec have been added for a reason since Burma DLC. Free French and Resistance Fighters also sound like Brit adhoc traits.

spec_home_guard_title = Home Guard
spec_home_guard_descr = Organizing and arming civilians to resist enemy invasion.
spec_home_guard_effect = • Auxiliary Home Guard and Armadillo units are available at the start of each battle

Using the Home Guard sounds very fictional to me. Maybe we get another free DLC like BoB or this content belongs to the future Liberation DLC. French Resistance would fit very well to the Liberation theme.
I still got a bad feeling though that Brit naval commanders are added soon, rather some AI land- and air-based ones to fight in the desert maybe. Let's continue waiting for a definite answer.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”