Seaplane Tender does not allow Heinkel He 59 to land

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Seaplane Tender does not allow Heinkel He 59 to land

Post by prestidigitation »

Plane has seaplane trait which on mouseover indicates that it should be able to land on seaplane tender. AV Greif is seaplane tender in question. Plane cannot land on the tender and has red hexes near it but white ones for the land airfield. Scenario is Surface Raiders, Kriegsmarine campaign. This completely hosed my plan for killing the British BBs with my torp plane docking at the tender. so if there's an interim way to fix this please let me know.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Seaplane Tender does not allow Heinkel He 59 to land

Post by bru888 »

This thread will answer your inquiry:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=669079
- Bru
prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation »

bru888 wrote:This thread will answer your inquiry:
It really doesn't. This is a seaplane tender, the plane is a seaplane. If the seaplane can't land on the seaplane tender, then it is a bug. Every carrier aircraft can land on carriers, even the light ones. And even the giant recon seaplanes can land on cruisers that wouldn't be able to manage them. The same is true for the giant recon seaplanes in this scenario, which can indeed land on the tender. So the He59 seaplane should be able to land and be serviced by the seaplane tender.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

prestidigitation wrote:
bru888 wrote:This thread will answer your inquiry:
It really doesn't. This is a seaplane tender, the plane is a seaplane. If the seaplane can't land on the seaplane tender, then it is a bug. Every carrier aircraft can land on carriers, even the light ones. And even the giant recon seaplanes can land on cruisers that wouldn't be able to manage them. The same is true for the giant recon seaplanes in this scenario, which can indeed land on the tender. So the He59 seaplane should be able to land and be serviced by the seaplane tender.
Did you read everything that I posted? There is a flaw in there, yes, but the flaw is in not explaining adequately why the bigger, heavier He59 cannot land on that small seaplane tender. Historically and game design, that's correct. The developers should create a message that explains this rather than using the generic message about it being a "Land-based aircraft" which the He59 was not, of course. The He59 can land on later versions of seaplane tenders, as I demonstrated.

However . . . two additional thoughts:

1) If the other "giant recon seaplanes" can land on that seaplane tender, and those were the size of the He59 or bigger, then perhaps an additional flaw is in those other planes being allowed and not the He59.
2) If the He59 is going to be allowed in the campaign at some point, then a seaplane tender capable of servicing it should also be available. Or, remove the "too heavy" restriction from the He59 by allowing it to land on any seaplane tender. Cannot have the He59 available for purchase if it cannot land (which I dimly recall is not true; an airport is provided nearby at which the He59 can land, IIRC).

Anyway, good post and good follow-up. You can see how it sparked more thinking on my part as I was answering you.
- Bru
mikemike
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by mikemike »

The "Greif" was a "Flugsicherungsschiff"; the nearest translation for that term is probably Aviation Support Ship. It was certainly capable of lifting a He59 as it had a 13 ton crane. According to Gröner it could operate three floatplanes, probably Ar196 size as it was 72 metres long with a displacement of 890 tons. It might have been able to refuel/rearm big floatplanes/flying boats; it could certainly salvage them. The "Bussard" was a catapult ship of about double the displacement, probably to operate/launch the Bv138 patrol flying boats. "Greif" was completed in 1937, "Bussard" in 1942, and both were operated by the Luftwaffe, not the Kriegsmarine.

Apart from the availability date, I see no reason why both of them should not have been equally able to operate the He 59; I doubt that that plane was catapultable.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

adherbal lurks in these forums like Banquo's ghost. He does not always reply in a thread but he silently takes note and a fix mysteriously appears in a future patch.
- Bru
AceDuceTrey
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by AceDuceTrey »

My understanding is that as a general rule seaplane tenders (AVs with the capability) only brought a multi-engine aircraft on board for repairs/bad weather. They invariably would rendezvous in a cove/calm waters to support them.
The Japanese also had CVS's that could stow up to 24 single engine float planes and also act as a support base for their multi-engine Mavis and Emily.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”