Morning Sun Fun

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Morning Sun Fun

Post by w_michael »

I recently bought the Morning Sun DLC and I am having a lot of fun. I'm not a min-maxer so I try to create historical combinations of units. The Wikipedia entry for the Second Sino-Japanese War has lots of orders of battles to help. I've grown to appreciate the "square" infantry division (four infantry regiments) of this era, where most WW II games have the later "triangular" infantry divisions (three infantry regiments). One assumes that because it was replaced that the new division was superior, but it may have evolved just to increase the overall number of divisions in the army; not to make a more effective fighting force. The Japanese infantry division in the early part of this war has four infantry regiments, one artillery regiment, one cavalry regiment, one one engineer regiment (and other units abstracted in the game).

When you consider cavalry regiments in WW II, thoughts of Polish cavalry charging German tanks with sabres come to mind. This is a misconception. Cavalry should be thought of as being mounted infantry, who fought on foot assisted by heavy machine guns. In OOB: WW II they are fast units that are great against non-mechanized units. I just fought the Battle of Lenfang in the campaign and several standard infantry divisions blunted the Republican Chinese armoured attack, and were able advance to victory.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Morning Sun Fun

Post by GiveWarAchance »

It is good to play as Japanese side to try out their tanks and airplanes and stuff.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”