Order of Battle thoughts and musings, good and bad

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Order of Battle thoughts and musings, good and bad

Post by Taare »

So i have hundereds of hours in the game. I love it, i have played computer games for over 20 years now and still spend more than 8 hours a day playing them. OOB hit me in the face with its awesomeness :D

I do have however have some concerns, which we all love to post on forums instead of pointing out the good things about the game. Let me actually go for the positives first, which way outnumber the negs.

i love campaigns. i do not care if they have anything to do with history or not, in fact i wish the devs would just take the historical setting, then go nuts imagining.
Hence i do love the core army, the attachments to your units, the tenseness of moving your units forward, taking the risky moves which might cut of the enemy supply, take their strongholds, bloody them.
I digress. (i am norwegian btw so in advance i am sorry for any typos.)

I wish units were not so faceless, i wish there were some kind of description of them. I wish that there more unit types, i wish they had depth, that the in depth statitistics was not the first thing you saw when pressing the i, i wish not going elite repair was the only way to go, i wish battleships were the behemoths of the sea they were supposed to. i wish aa guns was more efficient, i wish that one would not always face 5 times the number of troops you have and be expected to win. (i play only on difficulty lvl 4) i wish the germans were the beasts they actually were. i wish there was voice in the briefings, i wish subs actually were useful, i wish that paratroopers werent 5 times as expensive as normal infantry and only marginally better. i wish that the special abilities of say the commandos had cooldown instead of cost/ hell all the abilities.

I was so dissapointed of the whole european part of the campaign, now tell me, would any sound commander actually attack somewhere where he was outnumbered 5 to 1? and be expected to win?
i wish there were no turn limits, or either same amount of troops fielded when there was a clock, when you face and "orkishh" horde of americans, it is funny that you still have the clock to beat.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle thoughts and musings, good and bad

Post by bru888 »

Welcome, Taare. That's some wish list! Well, be aware, as the developers remind us from time to time, that they must make their own judgment calls about such matters. Otherwise, they would drive themselves and us crazy trying to please everybody.

I have run the gamut of highs and lows myself concerning OOB. Right now, I am back on a high (well, no longer as low as I was recently :) ). I really like OOB and I want it to do well because I cannot for the life of me get into Panzer Corps which seems to be what everybody compares OOB to the most.

When you say "i wish there were no turn limits," I can recommend to you the one cheat code that I regularly use myself (unless time really is of the essence and the whole point of the scenario): Type Shift + C to open a message window and then type #overtime <value>. By <value>, I mean enter the number of extra turns that you want. For example, type this for 15 extra turns: #overtime 15

I do this because I tend to be one of those cautious, plodding generals/admirals who get dismissed because they care too much about the lives under their commands! :wink:
- Bru
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

Hilo, thanks for the reply, i think i will start to use the command myself, i hate rushing. off to play some more, i love the game :)
Bylandt11
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Bylandt11 »

I loved OOB Pacific. For me it went downhill from there. Morning Sun was boring (I just tried again and soon discovered why I never finished it the first time), Winter war an exercise in frustration. I'm sorry, but I won't be bying Blitzkrieg. The things I read here only are unlikely to change that.

For me there's not enough sense of progression. My wimpy units never get anything special about them. Just slowly slogging forward, time after time, with a thin line of units against a multitude of enemies is more work than fun.
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

I bought some of the items from Steam and found it to be really basic - not worthy of my very limited PC time.

I would love it on IOS - which seems ideally suited to the complexity level of this system - yet they will not publish there ... go figure.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

Return to “Order of Battle Series”