Sea Lion feedback

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Sea Lion feedback

Post by Horst »

0 AI-xp for the start would be indeed very welcomed! Right now, Sea Lion is not entertaining well.

I've switched to Erik's Philippine campaign again until I can finally play the KM campaign with the new patch. The beginning of this Jap campaign is so much more relaxing, but I still remember the horrible last mission with the extremely well fortified AI there. Let's see how it plays now with the new spec system and my own gameplay changes since a year.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I've taken the British experience down a notch in the earlier scenarios (until London).

Dover/Brighton: Some of the German panzers and heavy infantry reinforcements are now core units.
The 2nd and 3rd waves now arrive on specific turns instead of being triggered by German capture of (difficult) port objectives.

Campaign link updated in first post.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Erik wrote:I've taken the British experience down a notch in the earlier scenarios (until London).

Dover/Brighton: Some of the German panzers and heavy infantry reinforcements are now core units.
The 2nd and 3rd waves now arrive on specific turns instead of being triggered by German capture of (difficult) port objectives.

Campaign link updated in first post.
Okay, so I should restart with Eagle Attack then?
Can take a few days. Work, summer. I think playtesting this is your favoured priority now, right?
Horst

Post by Horst »

I will gladly give you the charge here (among the dozens other quiet users here), Andy! :P
I already feel bad fancy-pantsing here about being too difficult.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote:I will gladly give you the charge here (among the dozens other quiet users here), Andy! :P
I already feel bad fancy-pantsing here about being too difficult.
Hey, dont go AWOL! I vill trakk yuu dovn. :mrgreen:

Stupid jokes aside, I agree: Sea Lion is pretty difficult compared to Blitzkrieg 41-42.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Starting from scratch on ground is easier, especially if you have airfields for your planes. Landing operations without German Marines against veteran AI units blocking the beaches is truly a tough start. I bet it gets easier if you have finally landed with units in the following scenario and don’t have to fear about loosing your precious tanks and artillery units to the Channel before they could actually do a single damage.
It’s like attacking the Death Star before training to shoot some womp rats first.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote:Starting from scratch on ground is easier, especially if you have airfields for your planes. Landing operations without German Marines against veteran AI units blocking the beaches is truly a tough start. I bet it gets easier if you have finally landed with units in the following scenario and don’t have to fear about loosing your precious tanks and artillery units to the Channel before they could actually do a single damage.
It’s like attacking the Death Star before training to shoot some womp rats first.
Hahaha, brilliant. I like where this is going. :mrgreen:

Anyways, Erik - for future reference, landings are difficult. I will try to squeeze out a few turns over the next days, but in contrast to checking the forums and writing nonsensical jokes, this requires some steady commitment. Will try my best, but can take a few days...
bcnkor
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bcnkor »

Erik wrote:Please report any issues with the Sea Lion campaign in this thread.

Scenario forum:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=374

Erik: When will we see the light, the Sea Lion update, compatible with the units of the DLC Order of Battle Kriegsmarine?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=65107 Sea Lion v2.8
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@bcnkor: This is already the Kriegsmarine version. Try it.
@Erik: Will try a few turns this evening. Drowning in work here and the sun is shining, too. Anybody else?
(Cant wait for your take on Afrikakorps and Blitzkrieg 42 onwards with the new heavy steel panzers. Hurry up, artistocrats...)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The next version of both the Blitzkrieg campaigns and Sea Lion will be published after the official 4.x update.
I've replaced a number of substitute units with proper ones.
bcnkor

Post by bcnkor »

[quote="Andy2012"]@bcnkor: This is already the Kriegsmarine version. Try it.

Andy2012: Yes, it has the Kriegsmarine but I see or it does not have its units like for example the carrier graf zeppelin (of the Kriegsmarine).
Example: From Editor >> Scenary 29Reykjavik unit_62 = Graf Zeppelin

Erik: Thank you, hope you do not take too long to upgrade to version 4.x
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

Hi Erik,

I am enjoying this series as far as I was able to take it before it locked up. Eagle Attack was interesting. Learning from my KM experience I went with a whole KM of Hippers flushed out with 2 DDs. This worked quite well with enough KM points accumulated to pick up a Bismarck BB later on. Loaded up on Stukas and a few 109s and used the other LBA to plaster Radar and AA installations as they are useless on Naval Attack. This is rather historical I have learned as the Luftwaffe ha\d zero training in dive bombing naval targets so they struggled in 1940 to even hit merchant ships. At least the Stukas do better against anything from a freighter up to a CL. Pretty useless after that. Used the Stukas to strip off the DDs and CLs and let the CAs deal with everything else. It was amusing to watch the AI waste turns shooting at my LBA He111s and Do17s instead of my CAs but that was fine with me :-). Picked up the other Bismarck as a reward for taking out the Naval Forts. The landing scenario at Dover and Folkstone was interesting. It was a bear at start as I was cramped for beach space with the supply ships crowding the western beaches until I was able to finish off the east RN presence and shift the supply ships there to clear the beaches for reinforcements. It was a fun scenario though there was a bug I encountered that though I got the LW commander for reducing all the forts, the victory condition was still marked with a ? which would generate a "Minor Victory" unless I used the cheat code.

After that however it was "Alles Kaputt" as the next scenario in the campaign started with a 2d Map and the campaign froze solid :-(. I hope you can get that sorted out so we can continue rolling through England.

thanks for your hard work putting this together,

Kevin
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

kverdon

Thanks for the feedback.

The Dover issues with the forts/coastal guns/bunkers objectives are fixed.

The frozen Canterbury scenario is a puzzle. It opens correctly on my PC, can't find anything wrong with the scenario or the campaign file :cry:

Many of my Blitzkrieg and Sea Lion scenarios are being held ransom in the next game version.
I have started replacing substitute unit types with new, correct ones.
So there will not be an update of these campaigns until after Burma Road has been released.
ubcbeer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ubcbeer »

Erik wrote:kverdon

Thanks for the feedback.

The Dover issues with the forts/coastal guns/bunkers objectives are fixed.

The frozen Canterbury scenario is a puzzle. It opens correctly on my PC, can't find anything wrong with the scenario or the campaign file :cry:

Many of my Blitzkrieg and Sea Lion scenarios are being held ransom in the next game version.
I have started replacing substitute unit types with new, correct ones.
So there will not be an update of these campaigns until after Burma Road has been released.
I solved same problem!
That is a problem of the faction. If you have a unit that different faction, then It is must be added to the map.
For example, if you have a DD or any warships of Kriegsmarine faction, you have to add Kriegsmarine faction to every map. In some map, you can buy Kriegsmarine factions's ships and deploy them.
I manually added Kriegsmarine faction in Map Editor and solved the problem when I see 2D map and the campaign froze solid.
The problem also applies to the SS unit of Erik's Blitzkrieg campaign. :D

sorry for my bad English! :wink:
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Wehrmacht,

Thanks so much for your explanation and your suggested fix was spot on! I opened the 3Canerbury scenario in the editor, added the KM as a faction (even with 0 CM points) and saved it and it worked!!!

No need to apologize about your English, you were certainly able to convey what you desired and I'm sure it is WAY better than any attempt I could make at your native language :D

thanks very much,

Kevin
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@everybody: Keep up the good work and help Erik. Might have time to play soon.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Hi Erik,

I got Canterbury working but almost wish I hadn't as the scenario is pretty badly broken and unbalanced as it is. Getting the Radio tower to work took a number of replays, even when I knew what I needed to accomplish. Only about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 times did I get the Radio Comms restored message and the arrival of the Luftwaffe even when the objective counter said 2/2 or 3/2. Sometimes I had the entire tower surrounded and it only showed 1/2. The bigger problem is that the force of paras is woefully undersized to the huge amount of Brits that stream into the area. The 3 Tanks and numerous infantry kept me pinned down through most of the scenario. I could barely hold my own much less counterattack. The limited supply you are forced to deal with means even when you capture the Matilda it is pretty worthless. The Brits have almost unlimited re-inforcements so even when you knock them down, they gain 1-2 strength back the next turn which just wears you down to nothing. This combined with all your troops fighting at depleted supply, with no way to augment it creates a recipe for failure. I did try once an capture the pumping station but it did not do any good. To balance this out I think you need:

1. Increased supply for the German Paras. A supply point to capture in the area, maybe to the south to represent supply from units to the south would work.
2. Reinforcements. After adequate supply is established there needs to be more troops. Maybe some glider troops flown in once you capture the airfield.
3. The Air Units/Airfield needs some adjustment. There should be another Airfield in the area. I was given 12 Air Command Points when I captured the Airfield. Yet when I had he fairly useless Me-110 shot down I was unable to replace it as it says I don't have adequate Air supply. Errrrr, it was fine BEFORE the ME-110 was shot down.......

Nice idea, just needs some work.

Edit: Ok, I added supply to the Radar Station and the Airfield to represent supplies being flown into the Airfield. With all the units supplied, they were able to accomplish the objectives though not in 18 turns and it was a grind and a half.

Alles Kaput.

Kevin
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Kevin

Thanks for the Canterbury Tale (I think :D)
I have saved your report and will try to fix this scenario.
It looks like a perfect candidate for a few Ju 52 (supply) units...
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Heh, Remember the Canterbury Tales were intended as a critique ;-)

The scenario has good bones, just needs the supply and a few more turns to make it work (and upping the AB supply to 12). Going to give it another go.

Ok, with adequate supply (and some luck) it is possible to complete all objectives in 18 turns. It was VERY tight though, I captured the secondary airfield on the last turn.

Some bugs:

1. Radio Tower, I got the LW Activated but though the victory condition says 3/2, it still shows a ?
2. I captured the 2nd airfield and received the Commander but the victory condition still shows as "X".
3. When I captured the Bridges it gave me a message each time that I had captured an Airfield.
ubcbeer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ubcbeer »

kverdon wrote:Wehrmacht,

Thanks so much for your explanation and your suggested fix was spot on! I opened the 3Canerbury scenario in the editor, added the KM as a faction (even with 0 CM points) and saved it and it worked!!!

No need to apologize about your English, you were certainly able to convey what you desired and I'm sure it is WAY better than any attempt I could make at your native language :D

thanks very much,

Kevin
Glad to hear that you got the campaigns working again! :wink:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”